Author Topic: Thread of under appreciated games 2008 edition  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Thread of under appreciated games 2008 edition
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:33:24 AM »
Since apparently polls are a new fad on NWR I figured that I will join the fad fun along with a popular gaming fad or theme in 2008 which is user generated content. So fellow NWR members what games you think are under appreciated games that came out this year regardless of platform??

For me here are some my picks for under appreciated games on all platforms:

Wii:
Dokapon Kingdom - People like Mario Party and people like RPGs so why did this game fail? Oh besides it being really obsure. I had a lot of fun with this game because it's so weird. No other game gives you an option to change other players names, deface their character, or steal items/gold when you defeat them.

De Blob - This game deserved a lot more sales, it's a top notch 3rd party game with a few minor flaws and it was very enjoyable. The only flaw I had with it is the stages take way too long to complete at times this was noticeable but usually I had so much fun with De Blob that I honestly didn't care about it.

We Love Golf - Camelot and Capcom added a lot of awesome extras and it still sold like crap, it has the mario golf/hot shots golf mechanic every body knows and loves that's successfully optimized with motion controls. There's a lot of modes and content and also a pretty solid online mode.

Castle Of Shikigami 3 - Fairly popular series and only the Wii version got localized in America (360 version was left in the dust in Japan). It's a fun SHMUP with about a dozen different characters that play differently.

Blast Works - Another SHMUP that was adapted by free PC games(hell it has those free games on the disc as unlockables!), it had a pretty interesting Katamari Damacy-esque mechanic where you can attach enemy ships and use their guns or use the bodies of those ships as your sheild.

DS:

Mystery Dungeon Shiren The Wanderer: This game is a port of a SNES game, this is practically  granddaddy of the Mystery Dungeon series. This game is amazing if you can get past the brutal difficulty and death penalty of going back to level 1 at the beginning of the game with your money and inventory that's not in a storehouse gone.

Summon Knight Twin Age: This game gets one thing right diablo/baulder's gate type of game fully transplanted right with only stylus controls. You have all your inventory short cuts, all your melee, ranged, spell casting and a tech tree. In a whole lot of ways this game is what Too Human tried to do on the 360 except done right.

Soul Bubbles: Game is fantastic, I made a reader review on this site about the game you can practically find it on clearance for 10 dollars just get it.

Rhapsody A Musical Adventure: One of the most overlooked RPGs this year on the DS sure you can beat it in about 10 hours but the whitty dialog and the streamlined battle system. Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) the PSone's cheesy American version's musical themes couldn't be re-recorded because NIS couldn't find the original composers, couldn't fit it in the cart, or couldn't secure rights of the songs. 

PS3:

Valkyria Chronicles: Personally this is my PS3 Game of the Year. It's one of the most satisfying strategy RPGs I played since Fire Emblem on Wii. The game's mechanics reminds me a perfect fusion of Advance Wars and Battalion Wars. For PS3 owners looking for an awesome game it would be a sin not to recommend this.

Disgaea 3: Yes it has essentially PS2 graphics with sprites that can come from a PSone game however it has a lot of humorous and awesome voice acting and NIS refined the gameplay from previous installments this game can literally last you a couple hundred hours because of how much content and customization this game has it's just plain ridiculous.

PSP:

R-type Command:
Who thought that Irem can turn a solid horizontal shooter into a deep strategy game? An awesome thing is you can actually play as the Bydo empire.

Yggdra Union: A remake or an enhanced port of a overlooked  GBA game that got....overlooked again. The strategy element of this game is quite interesting and it's a nice spin of the strategy RPG genre.

Xbox 360:

Culdcept Saga: To me this game is absolute crack, it essentially fuses monopoly and magic the gathering. There's a lot of different deck types and strategies to discover that made this game very addicting. It's too bad that the online lobby for this game is a ghost town because a match of culdcept can last an hour. Culdcept failed on the PS2 when it was published by Capcom, now it failed on the 360 when Namco-Bandai published it and now the series is getting a 3rd try on the DS with Sega publishing Culdcept DS I hope that Sega brings it over to America.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:34:59 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Thread of under appreciated games 2008 edition
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:50:42 AM »
Actually De Blob has enjoyed some solid sales recently.  It's closing in on 600 K.  But, still it should be selling more. 

No More Heroes and Okami should have both garnered bigger sales. 
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »
Motherfucken Advance Wars Dark Conflict. WHERE IS THE GOTY AWARD IT DESERVES?

Apparently it didn't even sell 200,000 in the US and I though America loved war.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:00:32 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:56:18 AM »
I really enjoyed R-Type Command as well.  Highly underrated game.

I think Tetris Party is underrated.   It just kind of came and went, but it's really good.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »
We need a stripper for this Poll.

;)
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:32 AM »
Too bad Valkyria Chronicle's story is horrible (at least from the 7 chapters I've completed so far).

I think Tales of Vesperia and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts are both under appreciated, especially Banjo.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:15:05 AM by Schadenfreude »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 02:18:47 AM »
IMO Blast Works didn't turn out very well, the built-in content is pretty weak and the tools are very limited too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:30:53 AM »
Endless Ocean.
Mortal Kombat vs. DC
Star Wars, the Force Unleashed

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »
Definitely Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. Everyone crapped all over it, but it's quickly become one of my favorite 360 games.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »
How about Cv Judgement with its 1/5 reviews? It does look like a much better game than Big Rigs.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »
How about Cv Judgement with its 1/5 reviews? It does look like a much better game than Big Rigs.

It's actually a pretty good fighter if you are into stuff like powerstone or the gamecube/wii naruto fighters. And the online has little lag.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
I agree Castle of Shikigami 3 is a pretty obscure game for the Wii.As my first "Bullet Hell" game it kicks my butt alot.I think I'm the only one on here that has it.I got it for $20.00 I think.

Soul Bubbles is another one despite all of the good press it gets.I dled the demo of the NC and enjoyed it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Skate It

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
We need a stripper for this Poll.

;)
I think this "no polls" rule needs to be clarified.  This thread does not break the rule, because, although it is a question for his fellow posters, the OP does a great job of including his own opinion and is thus worthwhile.

If however, all he said was "What games do you think were overlooked in 2008?" then it would have broken in the rule.

All of that said, at this point, I consider that a soft rule, as I will only enforce it if I feel the original poster is spamming.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »
Don't worry about it. I wasn't being to serious.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
It wasn't just a comment for you, more for everyone... I just used your post as a jumping off point. :)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »
I agree Castle of Shikigami 3 is a pretty obscure game for the Wii.As my first "Bullet Hell" game it kicks my butt alot.I think I'm the only one on here that has it.I got it for $20.00 I think.

I've had it for a while now.  It's pretty good.  Almost too anime-ish for me, but enjoyable.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
A lot of games got forgotten because they got released first quarter. Also, this year saw some KICKASS independent games and imports.

These own; find them on the internet (independent PC games):
Noitu Love 2
Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden
I Wanna Be The Guy

Import games lol:
Initial D Extreme Stage
Tatsunoko vs Capcom

And I wanna play that Castlevania fighting game.

Oh yeah, Advance Wars Days of Ruin was released this year. My pick for best DS game I think. :X

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »
The amazing thing about Castlevania Judgement is practically lag free online.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »

I've had it for a while now.  It's pretty good.  Almost too anime-ish for me, but enjoyable.
Part of the charm for me is the various conversations before the bosses and after the levels.I also like the different sub weapons.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »
Wario Land Shake

A top notch 2d Platformer with a ton of value.  If Nintendo would have actually tried to advertise the game I honestly think it could have done much better.  Of course it doesn't help that most videogame websites failed at reviewing the game and probably gave some people the wrong impression because of their terrible inaccurate reviews (cough1UpParishcough).

At least I've noticed that most people online who have played it seem to love it as well, so the game does have good word of mouth going for it.  So hopefully it'll end up getting some decent sales in the end so Nintendo will decided to make more 2d games in this same style.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »
Which is not surprising. Reviews sometimes outright fuel sales of games, and thanks to all those moronic reviews on Shake It the hype for it fell like a rock. It's a damn shame, really. Good Feel made a very fun 2-D game.

Add me to the list of Shake It fans.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Monteblanco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 10:27:17 PM »
Pro Evolution Soccer is a revolution in terms of how football games should be played and it was influent enough to have some features were copied into other sports games by EA and 2K Sports (NBA 09 & NHL 2K9). Still, being released in the first quarter and because football is not that popular in the US, it was somewhat forgotten by the media.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »
Right on, PES 2008 rocked.  One of the few Wii games that uses the Wii's controls in a way that can't be done elsewhere.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
Shake It is a very good game, but it was overpriced. I say this not in terms of value proposition, but in terms of market expectations. People have an unwillingness to purchase 2D games these days at the full $50 ticket value regardless of length and quality.

I believe the game would've garnered stronger reviews and sales with as little as a ten dollar reduction on its price tag.
Check out PixlBit!