Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217204 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »
I laugh when I see 1 or 2 non-wheel players online per worldwide match.  It's a common occurrence, they're in the minority, and they still get creamed by wheel users.

This makes me happy.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
The Wii Wheel is also as strong as hell too. Nintendo product durability at it's finest!
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2009, 10:57:15 PM »
You know, the current state of gaming IS dying...but this is a good thing.

For the longest time, gaming has been about EVERYONE having a fun time. Kids, girls, women, families, older gamers, really everyone. Pong was a game everyone was interested in. The "Atari" wowed everyone and families had fun playing at the arcades. In the old days gaming was an activity everyone could enjoy.

But after the 16 bit era gaming started to change. Thanks to Sony's new "mega cool" approach, along with Nintendo and Sega trying to outdo each other gaming was now serious business. It was all about the cool gamers and the groundbreaking games they played. There was no room for fun. It was all about making a statement in gamer lifestyles, design and development. This is where the "games as art" debate was born as game developers tried hard to make a game with beautiful graphics, compelling stories and hardcore gameplay.

But this approach alienated everyone, and realized that gaming was a waste of time that corrupted the young and startled the masses.  While gaming has always been seen as a silly pastime now people feared them. Even when they were unfounded they still moved people against gaming.

So while everyone else was trying to outdo each other like anorexic women at a fashion show Nintendo decided to go back to that time in which gaming was about being with friends and family, before it was serious business. With this approach great graphics, story and mega deep gameplay would have to be sacrificed, but much more was gained.

This is why I believe gaming is dying, but its actually a good thing. While it still has ways to go gaming is now about everyone having fun and leaving a POSITIVE impact in society. Senior citizens who mainly sat down and did nothing are getting up and having fun. Kids are having fun getting fit. People are more aware of their physical and mental being. Most importantly, people are having fun with ageless childhood friends.

So hear me out; yes, people will say that this is a  bad thing. But in 20 to 30 years when people remember this era of gaming they will talk about the social impact it left in gaming and people, and see the negative reactions as ignorant and elitist.

Now for the casual readers...gaming as we know it is proper f*cked. All hail the new overlords!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »
But after the 16 bit era gaming started to change. Thanks to Sony's new "mega cool" approach, along with Nintendo and Sega trying to outdo each other gaming was now serious business.

Darn it. Serious business is so much fun.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2009, 12:18:42 AM »
For the longest time, gaming has been about EVERYONE having a fun time. Kids, girls, women, families, older gamers, really everyone. Pong was a game everyone was interested in. The "Atari" wowed everyone and families had fun playing at the arcades. In the old days gaming was an activity everyone could enjoy.
Ah yes, the glory days of the early to late eighties. While arcades weren't high on my lists in the early ninties thanks to the SNES, playing any game was always about having fun.

I still wonder why the hell IGN uses their scoring system for VC games. It's greatly unfair to use a rating system for games that are over fifteen to twenty years old.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:42 AM »
Why is it unfair? The rating system doesn't change the result. What would be stupid is complaining about bad graphics. Gameplay that hasn't held up is a valid complaint IMO.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
I find that to be the only valid aspect. IMO, I just don't like IGN using their way of thinking on old games. To each his/her own, I suppose.

Darn it. Serious business is so much fun.
It was fun during the SNES/Genesis days. Now it's just annoying as hell.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
You know, the current state of gaming IS dying...but this is a good thing.

But after the 16 bit era gaming started to change. Thanks to Sony's new "mega cool" approach, along with Nintendo and Sega trying to outdo each other gaming was now serious business. It was all about the cool gamers and the groundbreaking games they played. There was no room for fun. It was all about making a statement in gamer lifestyles, design and development. This is where the "games as art" debate was born as game developers tried hard to make a game with beautiful graphics, compelling stories and hardcore gameplay.

But this approach alienated everyone, and realized that gaming was a waste of time that corrupted the young and startled the masses.  While gaming has always been seen as a silly pastime now people feared them. Even when they were unfounded they still moved people against gaming.

So while everyone else was trying to outdo each other like anorexic women at a fashion show Nintendo decided to go back to that time in which gaming was about being with friends and family, before it was serious business. With this approach great graphics, story and mega deep gameplay would have to be sacrificed, but much more was gained.

This is why I believe gaming is dying, but its actually a good thing. While it still has ways to go gaming is now about everyone having fun and leaving a POSITIVE impact in society. Senior citizens who mainly sat down and did nothing are getting up and having fun. Kids are having fun getting fit. People are more aware of their physical and mental being. Most importantly, people are having fun with ageless childhood friends.

So hear me out; yes, people will say that this is a  bad thing. But in 20 to 30 years when people remember this era of gaming they will talk about the social impact it left in gaming and people, and see the negative reactions as ignorant and elitist.

Now for the casual readers...gaming as we know it is proper f*cked. All hail the new overlords!

This is only partially true.  Why did Sony succeed so well with the Playstation?  Because that cool image and maturing of gaming helped gather the teenage market.  The new direction of mature/hardcore games attracted a broader MALE audience.

People that wanted to play a great feeling sports game in 3D.  People that wanted to play a mature adventure game like Grand Theft Auto, or play a great story with Final Fantasy 7.

Sony, helped to grow the gaming market...the problem is that soon, the target market was tapped as far as it could go...and over saturation for the money of that market made profits harder with the ever increasing sales budgets.

Nintendo branched away, because they saw the "hardcore" gaming market was too hard to compete for the profits.  Does this mean Nintendo couldn't do the job?  No Nintendo didn't want to waste that large of an effort on such a hard market to make a profit with.  They refocused on gaming for EVERYONE, and found a way to make games fun again for everyone. 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2009, 03:35:08 AM »
A question with growing the teen market is if these were new teens or the same teens that were playing games before.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2009, 11:24:55 AM »
So IGN relesed their top overall game of the year as Fallout 3.  I have no problem with this award in general, but when you look at the scores for the other contenders next to Fallout 3 its hard to figure out exactly what's going on over there......

=====================
IGN Ratings for Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
Rating   Description   
out of 10   click here for ratings guide
10   Presentation
The story is Oscar quality. The use of the phone as a gaming portal is genius. There's really nothing more that could be asked for from GTA IV.
10   Graphics
The level of detail is astounding. Liberty City feels alive and lived in. While there are some technical issues, the artistic merits push the score to the max. A true marvel.
10   Sound
The dialogue makes the story. Without the excellent writing and the stellar voice acting, the story would fail. And the soundtrack kills -- more than 200 songs and almost all are great choices.
10   Gameplay
The cover and targeting system work great. Blind firing with an RPG is a thing of beauty. Everything works in harmony and not a single one of the missions is bad. The most fun I've had in years.
10   Lasting Appeal
The story will take anywhere from 25-45 hours to complete, depending on your skill level and attention span. There's plenty more to do once you finish the story, such as excellent multiplayer.
Masterful   OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

============================

IGN Ratings for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Rating   Description   
10   Presentation
A story worthy of a feature length film, with action that keeps you engaged from the second you hit the start button 'til the final credits roll.
10   Graphics
Incredibly detailed and visually breathtaking, with amazing camera angles, MGS4 is one of the most beautiful titles ever made.
10   Sound
Haunting melodies, the re-introduction of classic themes via iPod, and perfect line delivery by actors -- this is an aural delight from start to finish.
10   Gameplay
Not only does MGS4 include new gameplay mechanics, it shatters the mold of what's expected from the series. Stealth, action, or balanced play: the choice is yours in how you explore this MGS world.
10   Lasting Appeal
There are dozens of secrets and Easter Eggs, along with tons of ways to approach any combat situation. Plus, when you're done with the single player, MGO will keep you engaged for weeks on end.
Masterful   OVERALL

==========================

IGN Ratings for Fallout 3 (PS3)
Rating   Description   
8.5   Presentation
The atmosphere and style are everything you could ask for and more. The PS3 version has shown us substantially more bugs than what you get on PC and 360.
9.0   Graphics
The landscapes are wonderful. The character models and animations could be a lot better.
9.5   Sound
Excellent voice acting and a soundtrack that completely fits the game's mood. The sound effects aren't bad either.
10   Gameplay
A rare combination of excellent combat and deep role-playing.
9.5   Lasting Appeal
A more focused experience than much of what Bethesda has created in the past that begs to be played for hours and hours. This is one game you won't soon forget.
Outstanding   OVERALL

=========================

Clearly, according to IGN's own system, not only are GTA and MGS better over all than Fallout 3,  but each individual category supersedes Fallout as well.  Using this system, they have left no room for a logical argument in declaring Fallout 3 the superior game.  For this, I only see two possible explanations, the IGN editors gave into pressure from Konami and Rockstar in their initial reviews, or they are mentally challenged in regards to what numerical values represent.  Better luck next year guys.....

Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
You can't spell ignorant without IGN. =D

Quote from: IGN's narrow view of gameplay in MGS4
10   Gameplay
Not only does MGS4 include new gameplay mechanics, it shatters the mold of what's expected from the series. Stealth, action, or balanced play: the choice is yours in how you explore this MGS world.
The balance went in favor of cutscenes.

Clearly IGN didn't play the same game we did. Cutscenes don't count as gameplay.

Nor do awful weddings.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
You can't spell ignorant without IGN. =D

Quote from: IGN's narrow view of gameplay in MGS4
10   Gameplay
The balance went in favor of cutscenes.

Clearly IGN didn't play the same game we did. Cutscenes don't count as gameplay.

Nor do awful weddings.

I'd say the same thing about the GTA 4 "Gameplay" score.  Clearly the reviewer was drunk off his a## while playing it and failed to notice the annoyance of starting a mission over, as well as the clunky controls implemented in said mission.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 20, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »
Quote from: D_Average
I'd say the same thing about the GTA 4 "Gameplay" score.  Clearly the reviewer was drunk off his a## while playing it and failed to notice the annoyance of starting a mission over, as well as the clunky controls implemented in said mission.
Who says you can't review games drunk? ;D

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »

NWR does, its in their code of conduct somewhere....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
Well Game of the Year is picked via various opinions, the GTAIV review was one person's opinion. I really do not think one person's opinion on MGSIV or GTAIV should dictate everyone's opinion of Game of the Year in an organization.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
Well Game of the Year is picked via various opinions, the GTAIV review was one person's opinion. I really do not think one person's opinion on MGSIV or GTAIV should dictate everyone's opinion of Game of the Year in an organization.

I hear you there, but there's a reason sites like IGN have "Editors in Chief".  Garbage like this should be peer reviewed before its served to the herd.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »
I hear you there, but there's a reason sites like IGN have "Editors in Chief".  Garbage like this should be peer reviewed before its served to the herd.
In IGN's case, they are incapable of doing that? If they allowed that Wii Music review to go online, then chances are they don't care about enjoying video games.

They just want to please the publishers who bribe them. ;)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »
G4 Xplay says as a con:
No story mode = no depth

The joke? It's the review for Mario Power Tennis (Wii version).

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
=/

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »
G4 Xplay says as a con:
No story mode = no depth

The joke? It's the review for Mario Power Tennis (Wii version).

I saw part of that review. And now the tumor in my head got bigger :\ .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2009, 12:30:02 PM »
I nearly saw that when I somehow tuned to G4 (why do I even keep that in my channel list?), but I could sense what was coming and ran far, far away.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
Apparently, a Sony rep openly mocked IGN in response to a report on PSP 2 rumors, coming just shy of accusing IGN of making up crap for hits.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »
Apparently, a Sony rep openly mocked IGN in response to a report on PSP 2 rumors, coming just shy of accusing IGN of making up crap for hits.

I wonder if the PSP2 can destroy the world because of its super fancy chip?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »
NWR does, its in their code of conduct somewhere....

Wait...we can't?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
I'll say this once again: respect a person's opinion. However, I felt the need to make my brain tumor grow larger after reading another Paper Mario 2 review. This one is worse then the GI review, seriously. Here's the review in question. Yet I must sarcastically view the "review" in question.

Quote from: pointless paragraph #1
While Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door does have nice cartoony graphics and animations, which along with its carefree music and cute sound effects imparts a large dose of the “feel good” factor, the game is just damn annoying, and quite boring.
I just love where this is heading.

Quote from: pointless paragraph #2
I can see what other people love about it. It’s fairly cute and has a nice easy-going vibe, yet it requires some skill and thought to play. It feels classic, as though it’s come straight from someone’s thoughts in 1995. There are heaps of puzzles to be solved by using your characters abilities which are slowly garnered through the story. There are heaps of secret areas with worthwhile rewards. There are heaps of tactical combat options due to a partner/badge/action point system. It’s got no (obvious) bugs.
Hits the good points, but... I don't get the comment I bolded. WTF is that suppose to mean?

Quote from: pointless paragraph #3
At the same time though, it should be noted that it can be quite frustrating, with heaps and heaps and heaps of backtracking. The text can be quite insipid (part of the cutesy factor), and the default text speed is so damn sloooow. The puzzles manage to avoid being difficult enough to require gamefaqs, but simply end up not being that interesting. There are no magical moments which you replay over and over again for the effect they have on you. And then there are the bloody long and uninteresting cutscenes.
Wait, what? Frustrating? Um... the backtracking isn't THAT bad compared to other games of it's type, the text made me laugh more then once since NOA Treehouse did a fantastic job with spicing it up with their own take on the original Japanese script. The frack, the text speed is slow? It's pace is pretty much the same as Mario & Luigi: SSS, and the original Paper Mario.

Quote from: pointless paragraph #4
When I first turned on Paper Mario, I wondered “Why am I playing this”? I decided I had to see what all the hype was about. Much later, as I continued playing it I explained to a friend who was watching that I didn’t really like the game, but I hoped that it become worthwhile to play after a time.
what

Quote from: the kicker paragraph #5
I just got up to the final boss last night. After a long and boring cutscene, I fought the boss for a bit. After that I was treated to another long and boring cutscene. I then fought the boss again, and in the final moments when victory was in my grasp, I made a gamble and lost. The game over screen displayed and I turned off the Gamecube. I’m simply not prepared to play the game any longer, I’m not prepared to go through those two incredibly long and boring, and may I say insipid cutscenes. Instead I’m putting my copy up on trademe. All I can think is that this game is suitable for children and 30 year old fanboys desperate to recapture their childhood.
WHAT?

All I can say to sum up this review is... WHAT THE FRACK?