Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217503 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
I'm guessing k**** has a word filter on it. I only brought it up because that's what people always slam Nintendo with. I'm not saying that Super Paper Mario 2 was. I like the way it looks. That's just what came across in the review, and I think it's stupid.
Sorry if I came across as slamming you, but using the word in the "Nintendo is teh kiddie" context has always pissed me off.

Guess I'm a terrible poaster now. Hooray!

Wii Music has mixed reviews Ian. Shows how your perception blinds you to the truth. Some hated it some really liked it.
Did they review it properly though?

Lol. I don't think reviewers reviewed GTAIV or MGS4 properly. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:51 PM »
It's quite sad when some random person on the GameFAQs site can make a more honest review then IGN.

But then again, GameFAQs suffers from the same problem. Who's review do you take with a grain of salt, or take seriously? Automatic tens given to MGS4...hmm...

Epic failure or epic humor?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »
Maybe it's just the internet?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
I find it funny how Paper Mario is now considered one of the N64's best games, but back then it was too I am a terrible poaster.  for its own good...

In 10 or 20 years people will hail Wii Music as a brilliant masterpiece. Quote me on this...

I recall it being regarded rather fondly at the time.  It gets an 88.5% rating on GameRankings which is very respectable.  Anyone who crapped on it at the time was usually someone who just crapped on the N64 period.  It was Sony fanboys who thought it was for kids.  But Nintendo fans and most reviewers thought it was great.

Wii Music on the other hand got mostly negative reviews and gets crapped on by many Nintendo fans and Wii owners.  I don't think it makes sense to compare it to Paper Mario's reception.  Paper Mario was just another misunderstood masterpiece at a time where anyone who didn't specifically follow Nintendo wrote them off and at that point any Nintendo console game was getting written off.  If anything it was unknown or ignored more than crapped on.  If Wii Music is later regarded as a misunderstood classic that will be very exceptional.  It is much more unpopular than almost any other Nintendo game.  It is not a wallflower game, it's outright infamous.

Here are how the Wii Music reviews. The bad reviews come mostly from core media outlets who only saw the game as a noise maker with no depth (IGN, Game Informer, Game Daily etc.). The good reviews, however, come from outlets who saw the game for what it was and claimed to have depth for those willing to look for it (1up).

Like Golden said, it has received mixed reviews, but that's to be expected. Wii Music is a niche concept game, and those games either get a lot of love or a lot of hate.

Wii Music actually receives praise from the fanbase. There are a lot of videos on YouTube, and there are communities dedicated to the creation and sharing of videos, and those fans saw depth that not even Nintendo foresaw.

So the reason why I say the game will be fondly remembered in a few years is because it has gained a loyal fanbase that will sing its praises, and chances are that those gamers will become journalists and help propel a good image of Wii Music.

This has happened with cult movies, songs and artists, and of course videogames.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
Quote from: pap64
This has happened with cult movies, songs and artists, and of course videogames.
Except sometimes they gain cult status for being truly awful. Bomberman Act Zero is just one of those games.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
I know this was mentioned in the Malstrom thread, but... lol Steven Kent.

This guy is supposed to be one of the best game journalists out there, right? Why does he sound like your typical 16 year old Gamefaqs poster?

WiiP? Really? Really?

And he kept on calling the Wii that in the comments section. What a manchild.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
He's tryng to troll-for-hits-troll-for-cash like the more popular gaming outlets around.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
Oh man, some of Kent's comments at his blog really make him sound clueless. He's claiming that 3rd parties are trying their hardest to succeed on Wii, but it's Yamauchi's fault that their games aren't better.

Steven Kent said...
And to say that the culture of Nintendo from the past has no effect on the present is entirely naive.

Look, like it or not, Yamauchi hired Imanishi, Mori, Takeda, Miyamoto, and Iwata. You don't think his views influenced them?

YAMAUCHIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

Steven Kent said...
Also, R.J., are yuou suggesting that these companies do not want to make money. Wii is the number one console in the world. What are you saying, that Rockstar, EA, and Ubisoft are too busy making games for the number two and three consoles to concentrate on the big one?

No comment needed.

Steven Kent said...
Dunno about you, jung, but I think those companies are in business to make money; and if they did not have good games for Wii, I suspect it has something to do with Nintendo's version of third party relations and third party support.

And third parties have done such a good job at making money this generation.

It sounds like all Kent knows about Nintendo is what they did during the 80's, and that he's trying to apply that knowledge to the current generation.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »
It's ironic because a good knowledge of 80's era Nintendo, and how much the Wii owes the NES, is exactly the sort of knowledge that should lead one to a greater understanding of Nintendo today.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2009, 06:40:42 PM »
Wasn't Steven Kent one of the better journalists last gen? Didn't he used to write for a major website?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »
Wasn't Steven Kent one of the better journalists last gen? Didn't he used to write for a major website?

I think he used to write for CNN and was pretty well respected. I'm so shocked.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2009, 09:32:58 PM »
On the subject of journalists, didn't one MTV journalist (I may be wrong) wrote a insightful article on how well MGS4 would sell? It made good points.

Too bad it didn't state the obvious: Hideo's rabid fanboys will go to ANY lengths to get what they want. (Bashing Raiden, making death threats and whining like always) Ironic his best games suffered from a horrible gimmick, one wasn't released outside of Japan and another was released on a failed add-on. (in order: Botokai(sp?), Policenauts, and Snatcher)

Reviewers hit rock bottom with MGS4. It only added more fuel to Konami's fire. (we won't see games like Elebits and Dewy more often, sadly enough)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
If we don't see more stuff like Elebits and Dewy it's because they absolutely bombed beyond belief. Even on DS the new Elebits could barely scrape a few thousand sales in Japan. Nobody to blame for this but consumers.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2009, 01:22:07 AM »
Here's another crap IGN review YAY this time a truly hardcore game, Eternal Poison

His biggest complaint is you can't go back to prior levels to grind lower level characters HORRAY, in the game the lower level characters are monsters that you capture due to over kills, and the point of the captured monsters are either to 1. have them in your party or 2. sacrifice them to boost your character stats.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:25:15 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2009, 03:42:37 AM »
If we don't see more stuff like Elebits and Dewy it's because they absolutely bombed beyond belief. Even on DS the new Elebits could barely scrape a few thousand sales in Japan. Nobody to blame for this but consumers.

"Never blame the customer for bad sales", remember? It's likely that the way the game appeared to potential buyers was very off-putting. Perhaps they should analyze WHY the games failed the way they did and try to avoid it instead of running into the same wall three times?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2009, 03:54:47 AM »
Well, for one, Dewy was unforgivingly hard. Three lives and then you had to start a level over completely. And the control wasn't nearly as smooth as I would've liked.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2009, 04:34:45 AM »
When did Elebits bomb? I recall the game selling quite well considering it was early in the Wii's lifecycle which is why we have a sequel on DS.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
When did Elebits bomb? I recall the game selling quite well considering it was early in the Wii's lifecycle which is why we have a sequel on DS.

Golden, the DS Elebits did about 1,500 in Japan on opening week. But Elebits on Wii did well enough in Japan that it recently got re-released as a Konami hits for half price.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:12:11 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »
Such is the life of a video game.

You're awesome, but your sales suck. You're MGS4 quality, and your sales are awesome.

His biggest complaint is you can't go back to prior levels to grind lower level characters HORRAY, in the game the lower level characters are monsters that you capture due to over kills, and the point of the captured monsters are either to 1. have them in your party or 2. sacrifice them to boost your character stats.
Understanding video games must not be a requirement for IGN then.

Right Matt?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2009, 04:09:16 AM »
The IGN review of Moon:
First of all, Moon is very different game from Dementium: The Ward. It's an adventure game with shooting elements intertwined, and while Nintendo fans reading this will of course instantly think of Metroid, I'd put this as more of an adventure game over Metroid Prime: Hunters for DS.

Why the **** does he compare it to MP Hunters? When people think of 3D Metroid they think of Metroid Prime, not Hunters.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2009, 07:53:32 AM »
The IGN review of Moon:
First of all, Moon is very different game from Dementium: The Ward. It's an adventure game with shooting elements intertwined, and while Nintendo fans reading this will of course instantly think of Metroid, I'd put this as more of an adventure game over Metroid Prime: Hunters for DS.

Why the **** does he compare it to MP Hunters? When people think of 3D Metroid they think of Metroid Prime, not Hunters.

I thought everyone had forgotten about Hunters, I know I sure tried to.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
How's this for journalistic integrity?

When it came time to cast my vote for Game of the Year a few weeks back, I spent a series of antacid-infused days wrestling with whether or not I had the stuff to go against the grain, to stand up to pitchfork- and fire-wielders, and be true to my heart. Mostly I wondered if I'd forsake the little credibility I have in this business by picking something other than Fallout 3.

So what did I do? Weak fool that I am, I voted for Fallout 3 as GotY, wondering as I did so whether or not I'd be able to look myself in the mirror the next morning.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »
Wow, I knew groupthink worked on gamers, but for it to work on us media too... *scared*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »
Yeah, that's retarded. How exactly do you LOSE credibility by not liking the same thing as everyone else? It makes me wonder if he would compromise his oppinion in other cases too (e.g. "I hate this game but we've given it favourable previews and so did everyone else" which I believe is a major force in skewing reviews even without moneyhats since it definitely feels like games that get considered overhyped also end up overrated with 10s for games that aren't even much of an improvement over their predecessors).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
If you ever catch me doing ANYTHING like that, please make a thread lambasting me about it.

*How's my writing? Post at NWR!"