Author Topic: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare  (Read 5017 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:29 AM »
Super Mario RPG finally sees US release while some underwater business goes on elsewhere.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=16625

Nintendo's popular Super Nintendo game, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, sees its long awaited arrival on the Virtual Console while Clu Clu Land, an NES puzzle game, also sees release. Hudson's aquarium simulator, My Aquarium is the WiiWare game of the week.    

My Aquarium is billed as a "relaxing Wii experience" allowing you to witness and care for a virtual aquarium. You can select over 40 different types of fish, both freshwater and saltwater, to populate your aquarium. You can create up to six different aquariums to view, watch, and send to Wii Friends. My Aquarium is rated E for Everyone and is available for 500 Wii Points or $5.    

Clu Clu Land is an NES puzzle game where you play as Bubbles, a young bubble fish, who must stop the evil Sea Urchins by uncovering the gold bars that they hid throughout the underwater kingdom of Clu Clu Land. Clu Clu Land is rated E for Everyone and is available for 500 Wii Points or $5.    

The final Virtual Console game of the week and the most anticipated is the Super Nintendo classic, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The game, co-developed by Nintendo and Square-Enix, takes the familiar Mario world and transforms it into an epic quest featuring classic Mario action alongside more traditional RPG elements. Mario and friends (even Bowser) must defeat the new evil ruler Smithy and save the world. Super Mario RPG is rated E for Everyone and is available for 800 Wii Points or $8.    

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL    

September 1, 2008    

Strike up the band and let the confetti fly! This week, the Wii™ Shop Channel celebrates the momentous release of its 250th game title for the Virtual Console™, pushing the selection of classic games to an exhilarating new high. And because a special occasion deserves a special guest, Nintendo is thrilled to name the beloved Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™ as the game to hold this exciting distinction. Along with a delightful new WiiWare™ title and a delirious underwater adventure, this gem from the Super NES® era guarantees a festive, fun-packed Labor Day holiday for Wii™ owners of all stripes.     Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:    

WiiWare     My Aquarium (Hudson Entertainment, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): With swaying aquatic plants and fish idly swimming about, My Aquarium is a relaxing Wii experience that allows you to enjoy a virtual aquarium in your spare time. Whether freshwater or saltwater, you can select from over 40 popular types of fish, including favorites like the Ocellaris clownfish, the freshwater angelfish and the Asian arowana. You can also create up to six different aquariums and personalize them by adding decorations like seaweed and driftwood. In My Aquarium, you can send aquariums to your registered Wii Friends. The aquariums can even be set with special dates, such as a friend's birthday, that the fish will commemorate with a dance. Feed your fish and watch them steadily grow from fry to adult. Then, after meeting certain conditions, you can breed them. Another feature will allow you to interact with your fish using your Wii Remote™ controller in fun ways, like "tapping" the glass of your aquarium.    

Virtual Console    

Clu Clu Land™ (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Take a deep breath and prepare for a puzzle game set in the underwater kingdom of Clu Clu Land. The greedy Sea Urchins have stolen all of Clu Clu Land's gold bars and buried them in a series of mazes. As Bubbles, a brave bubble fish, you'll set out to uncover all of the gold bars in each maze. But you'll have to be careful: Sea Urchins will relentlessly pursue Bubbles, and there are also dangerous black holes that must be avoided. Bubbles isn't defenseless, though, as she has the ability to stun Sea Urchins with sound waves and quickly change direction using posts scattered throughout the stages. Not only that, but the locations of the gold bars in each maze form the outline of another object—once you know the object, you're well on your way to finding the gold. With 20 stages to complete and increasingly complex conditions (like having to pass over the gold bars twice to uncover them), you might just want to bring along a friend for help.    

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Set in the Mushroom Kingdom and featuring its cast of well-known characters, this adventure RPG begins with a familiar scenario: Mario™ must rescue Princess Toadstool™ from Bowser™. However, a mysterious new enemy named Smithy soon appears, and Mario and Bowser are forced to fight as allies for the first time in their long history. In the quest to defeat their powerful new foe, they'll journey across a wide variety of locations (a town of mining moles, a tropical forest, a thundering waterfall—just to name a few) and tackle a mix of obstacles requiring both expert timing and strategy to overcome. Along the way, they'll gain experience and grow more powerful, while also meeting new characters whose unique abilities will be needed to take on Smithy and his gang. Striking a perfect balance of traditional RPG elements and the action-packed game play Mario is famous for, it's easy to see why this title has earned "legendary" status.    

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »
I snagged Super Mario RPG and had points left over so I also got My Aquarium.

My Aquarium is actually pretty decent, you have a good amount of customization and you eventually unlock breeds over days if you keep taking care of your fish. Don't expect to spend more than 10 - 15 minutes per day on it though. It's also a soothing game if you want to relax a little and get some stress out of your system.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:02:10 PM »
It's pretty cool that Super Mario RPG got released here so soon after Europe.  Maybe NOA noticed all the talk it created on videogame boards? ;)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
joygasm
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
Why do I not have the time for these classics.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
Ahaha, crap...I'm already busy with Ys, and I will have two more RPGs coming in the mail by the end of the week (Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery)...

I guess SMRPG will have to wait...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »
I really want to give SMRPG another chance (played it some years ago, didn't like), but I have so many other games to play. :(

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »
AWESOME.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
My Aquarium is actually pretty decent, you have a good amount of customization and you eventually unlock breeds over days if you keep taking care of your fish. Don't expect to spend more than 10 - 15 minutes per day on it though. It's also a soothing game if you want to relax a little and get some stress out of your system.

It's tempting. I usually flop on my bed late at night (or early the next morning) and I must say, at that time I absolutely DO NOT have the energy to finish up FFCC:MLaaK. However, I'd prefer a virtual ant farm to a virtual aquarium...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »
Super Mario RPG fits in with Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros 3 as "the Virtual Console game that is so awesome that I have to buy it right away even though I have four other games to play"
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
I also got My Aquarium.  It's not bad for what it is, but I wish it had a bit more polish.  The fish models look really nice, but their movements are sometimes jerky and unnatural, and the user interface is kind of awkward and ugly.  I'd also like a little more control over the camera -- you can either be zoomed out all the way, in which case you can barely see the smaller fish, or you can focus on one fish and have the camera follow it around, and those are your only options.  It would be nice to be able to zoom in or out and pan the camera around manually.  I know this sounds like nitpicking, but since there isn't really anything else that you do in the game, it's kind of important that the presentation be good.

On the other hand, it has a lot of good (public domain) music, and you can make your fish dance, which is pretty funny.  But it definitely takes a certain type of person to like a game like this.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
Super Mario RPG fits in with Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros 3 as "the Virtual Console game that is so awesome that I have to buy it right away even though I have four other games to play"

Well that'd make sense if it was a store game that could eventually go out-of-print (say, an Atlus game), but because it's VC it can totally wait for me... :cool;

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »

Well that'd make sense if it was a store game that could eventually go out-of-print (say, an Atlus game), but because it's VC it can totally wait for me... :cool;

Mind you, I do play through the game shortly after I get it, I just put aside the other games.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

It's tempting. I usually flop on my bed late at night (or early the next morning) and I must say, at that time I absolutely DO NOT have the energy to finish up FFCC:MLaaK. However, I'd prefer a virtual ant farm to a virtual aquarium...

Well Kai it also has a bunch of classical music for a soundtrack and you get to pick what you want to listen to if your into that. You can make up to 6 different aquariums and even send them to people over wiiconnect 24.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Stop selling me on the game! I'm on a tight budget! T_T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »

edit: whoops hit the post button by mistake!

i agree 100%.

I didnt go out on monday cuz my plans fell thru so i was sitting at home with my gf and felt like we'd played all the wii games i already have (and since i recently got her a wii and some games, didnt want to play anything she has that i'd be ahead in) so i open up the shop channel to download something to pass the time, and i see SMRPG there and HAD to buy it!

and i havent even finished any of the VC games i own :(

well, most. I beat paper mario (never pla yed it before) and mario kart 64 i bought for someone else to play, this was before MKwii. but i have DKC2 (two more of those DK coins...dammit), Sin And Punishment which i've neglected horribly, and Star Fox 64 (gotta finish what i started back in the day and get all those fucking medals!).

The biggest shame is that i only recently started getting really into Super Metroid. I always put off playing it because i thought i didnt have the time to pour into it like i know i should. Now i was getting really into it, just got the Gravity Suit and realize why everyone says its the best game ever.. and SMRPG comes along and all i wanna do is play it!

thats not counting the wii/gc games i'm still trying to get thru.. :(
drought my ass..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:56:57 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:55:29 PM »

Until you find out that Nintendo only got license to sell the game for a limited time and they pull the game three months later. ;)

I'd buy SMRPG, but I have no space left on my Wii. :(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:21:14 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »

Until you find out that Nintendo only got license to sell the game for a limited time and they pull the game three months later. ;)

I'd buy SMRPG, but I have no space left on my Wii. :(

How in the world did you manage this? 

Anyway, I'd HOPE that if the game was limited-time-only (which has only happened in PAL-land with Lost Levels so far, I believe), that they'd state such... =(

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 05:45:01 AM »
I think SMRPG is overrated, it's a nice game but not the epic best-game-ever it gets talked up as on these forums.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 08:22:21 AM »
How in the world did you manage this? 

Anyway, I'd HOPE that if the game was limited-time-only (which has only happened in PAL-land with Lost Levels so far, I believe), that they'd state such... =(

Sometimes I get drunk and beat my wife.  Othertimes, I get drunk and badly quote forum posts.

And yes, you'd hope that.  But it is Nintendo of America we're talking about here.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
I think SMRPG is overrated, it's a nice game but not the epic best-game-ever it gets talked up as on these forums.

GoNintendo loves you.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »

Any good game that has never been re-released is going to get hyped a fair bit.  I don't think Earthbound is as great as one would think.  But a big part of the appeal is that it is a really good game and is presently only available on a console that hasn't been sold in stores for about ten years.  It's a good game and it's out-of-print.  Of course it's going to be hyped.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 08:55:23 AM »
If you remove the novelty (i.e. if you've played the other Mario RPGs before) and nostalgia (playing it on the VC for the first time) SMRPG is pretty much a standard RPG with nothing remarkable.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 01:56:52 PM »
Just bought SMG RPG last night b/c of all the hype.  Its the first RPG I've purchased since Actraiser when I was 7(This was an accident however, as I was under the impression it was an action game.  I took it back to Toys R Us, faked some tears, and walked out with Extra Innings).

That said, I don't have a great track history with the genre, but perhaps this will be the one that at least opens the door...
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »
You took back Actraiser?!?! That game is awesome and it does have action parts in the game you should get the VC version.