Author Topic: Little Big Planet  (Read 46779 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Little Big Planet
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2008, 11:50:07 AM »
I'm sure that was a nice little bonus for their IT people.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
The Ico user level is AMAZING!

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »
As in the musical one?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »
The same guy made another level that is essentially an abridged version of the game.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
Anyone else not yet finish the story mode yet?  I'm starting to get trapped in that "Sub Space I don't really feel like finishing it" kind of feeling.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »
The same guy made another level that is essentially an abridged version of the game.

I'll have to check that out.

Anyone else not yet finish the story mode yet?  I'm starting to get trapped in that "Sub Space I don't really feel like finishing it" kind of feeling.

I think I'm nearing the end, I'm up to the Bunker (damn expandinators killing me!). So my lack of finishing is more due to lack of skill, which I am having trouble coming to terms with since I 100%ed Super Mario World.

I've been spending more time on create mode, and recently completed my first retail version level it's called Temple of the Hippos, if anyone's interested.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »
I think I'll be getting this for Christmas.  Can't wait.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2008, 07:25:50 PM »

I'll have to check that out.

I think I'm nearing the end, I'm up to the Bunker (damn expandinators killing me!). So my lack of finishing is more due to lack of skill, which I am having trouble coming to terms with since I 100%ed Super Mario World.

I've been spending more time on create mode, and recently completed my first retail version level it's called Temple of the Hippos, if anyone's interested.

Awesome, I'll check it out.

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2008, 08:41:09 PM »
Don't get too excited! But thanks ;)

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »
Anyone ever see or play Rag Doll Kung Fu?  It was made by Media Molecules founder right before creating LBP.  You can definitely see where LBP got its roots from in this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9-7oNFTaIg&feature=related

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
I found this cool community level that I'm sure some of you will like to try. It's called "UNOFFICIAL SACKBOY COSTUMES (free stickers)".

Now, I had already started messing around with my sackboy by adding a few items onto its Roman helmet, but after going through (you don't really play it) this community level I had the inspiration to make a lot more adjustments to my sackboy.

The result from such inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H70Mdzde1mA

I tried taking some photos with my digital camera but they weren't coming out good, so I just filmed my first sackboy mod in all its glory.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »
Apparently the game has moved 1.3 million units for Sony.

http://kotaku.com/5126304/ces-09-kaz-says-littlebigplanet-has-sold-13-million-psn-accounts-at-17-million

There was some backlash against the game when it failed to post the numbers everyone was hyped up for, but I'm happy to see that the game has performed admirably in the end despite all the negativity. Same goes for Wii music. It's great to root for the underdog!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2009, 09:15:30 PM »
Kairon, you should really play this game, and also see how good some of the creations from the LBP community are.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
A friend brought his PS3 over to my place once. We only got to play the beginning levels and reach South America, I hear the later ones are so much better... But yeah, this game is some sort of awesome. I knew it from the moment I first set eyes on it.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »
A friend brought his PS3 over to my place once. We only got to play the beginning levels and reach South America, I hear the later ones are so much better... But yeah, this game is some sort of awesome. I knew it from the moment I first set eyes on it.

Assuming you're a Nintendo fan...you'd definately dig it  8)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2009, 03:36:03 AM »

http://kotaku.com/5126304/ces-09-kaz-says-littlebigplanet-has-sold-13-million-psn-accounts-at-17-million

There was some backlash against the game when it failed to post the numbers everyone was hyped up for, but I'm happy to see that the game has performed admirably in the end despite all the negativity. Same goes for Wii music. It's great to root for the underdog!

Well, Sony was hyping it up as the game to save the PS3 from last place.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »

Well, Sony was hyping it up as the game to save the PS3 from last place.
Well, Sony will hype every big game that is released from now on to be that.  It's not a very fair way to gauge a title's success.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2009, 01:05:01 PM »
See, I am constantly wondering if LBP is a hit or failure.

Most people see the game as a failure because of all the hype and marketing (Sean Malstrom used the game as an example of user generated content not having a future, and the Game Overthinker used its "failure" to preach about the doom of gaming).

Yet, the sales estimates have it selling at a steady pace and looks to be a big PS3 seller.

So which is it? Is LBP a hit or a flop?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
See, I am constantly wondering if LBP is a hit or failure.

Most people see the game as a failure because of all the hype and marketing (Sean Malstrom used the game as an example of user generated content not having a future, and the Game Overthinker used its "failure" to preach about the doom of gaming).

Yet, the sales estimates have it selling at a steady pace and looks to be a big PS3 seller.

So which is it? Is LBP a hit or a flop?

Probably depends on how much money they poured into it through various means and the return it got. For example the new Tomb Raider sold 1.5 million or so and those numbers are considered disappointing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:10:23 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »
I'd love to see how they are doing on the DLC too.  I have to think it's one of the best DLC revenue getters on the platform.

The game is so damn cute, I've even purchased outfits... bonafied horse armor.

Then the Metal Gear Solid level pack with the new gun item... that had to have sold like crazy too.

I personally don't think LBP will have any problem being profitable... and I bet it will be a extremely so at that.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
Exactly what GP said.  It all comes down to your goals.

The developer's probably thrilled by the sales as well as the critical reception.

Sony's probably a little bummed because it doesn't seem like the game sold many systems.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »
I guess the real question should be...

Do game companies focus on first week sales or on overall lifetime sales?

If so, LBP was a flop at launch, but became a hit afterwards.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
I can see why we measure LBP against these other expectations... but on some base level we have to acknowledge that for a game like this 1.3 million units in just, what, 2-3 months of sales, is a good performance. Heck, it may even go up in the future with long sales legs. And since this is on a system in third place, I'd think it's roughly equivalent to the sales performance of Metroid Prime 2 at least...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
I can see why we measure LBP against these other expectations... but on some base level we have to acknowledge that for a game like this 1.3 million units in just, what, 2-3 months of sales, is a good performance. Heck, it may even go up in the future with long sales legs. And since this is on a system in third place, I'd think it's roughly equivalent to the sales performance of Metroid Prime 2 at least...

That is a bad comparison. The HD consoles are VASTLY more expensive to develop games for so you need to have vastly better sales. While a MP title could probably get away with just 1 million copies and make a profit, LBP probably cannot when you factor in development costs and marketing.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
Wasn't MP2E the worst performing part of the series?