Author Topic: Infinite Undiscovery (360)  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Infinite Undiscovery (360)
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:17:56 PM »
Publisher: Square-Enix
Developer: tri-Ace
Composer: Motoi Sakuraba (Full-length Opening Theme)

Official U.S. Site
Official Japanese Site

Release Date: September 2, 2008

Story

The moon, which holds an incredible power that feeds the planet, has been captured and controlled by the Order of Chains (led by Leonid, or the Dreadknight, who desires to become a god).  However, a lot of people don't like this, considering it's killing the planet and has released foul creatures everywhere.  Thankfully for them, a group of people have stood up against the Order: the Liberation Army.  Led by a man named Sigmund, he is supposedly the only person who can release the moon from its chains.  The story begins in a prison: a young flute player by the name of Capell has been captured by mistake as he happens to look identical to the Liberation Army leader.

Gameplay
  • Unlike most JRPGs, there are no transitions between field exploration and battles.  If you run into an enemy on the field, you battle it out like an ARPG, only having three other party members in tow at a time.  The action never stops, even when you go into your menu, so it's best to finish your battle and find a safe place to make camp before you do!
  • Character relationships and interaction play a very big part of this game.  You can have a specific character join you when exploring towns, and depending on who is with you, the dialogue or events can change.  Each character has a specific personality and list of traits.  If you go out of your way to appeal to them, your relationship with them will increase.
  • Each character also has a "job class" that affects the types of skills they can learn.
  • A - Normal Attack (Normal and Strong attacks can be mixed together to form combos)
  • B - Strong Attack (Always the final blow in a combo)
  • RT - Active/Passive Mode (when you enter Active Mode, you draw your blade and your other party members will as well)
  • LT - Reflect Drive (A defensive maneuver, that, when used right as your enemy attacks, will reflect the blow back onto them, opening them to attack)
  • X/Y - Battle Skills (Over the course of the game, you will acquire magical attacks that you can set to these buttons.  They use MP.)
  • RB - Connect Action (You can also set Battle Skills to your party members.  Connect Action allows you to connect to a party member and utilize their attacks from afar without affecting your own movement and normal attacks.
  • When in battle, there are many tactics that you can apply to your party members.  You can set them to attack a single enemy, split up to attack, stay back, concentrate on combos, conserve MP, or just attack freely
  • As you play through the game, you will come across scripted events called Situation Battles.  These tend to be high-tension events that require tactical thinking on the part of the player.
  • Another interesting addition to the free-roaming gameplay is the importance of the senses.  Not only is visual acuity important, but so is sound and smell.  If you make a loud noise or use an item that has a potent smell, you could attract enemies to your position.

Japanese VA List

Capell - Shinnosuke Tachibana
Aya - Hitomi Nabatame
Sigmund - Tomokazu Sugita
Eduardo - Shinichiro Miki
Luka - ?
Roka - Kana Ueda
Mirche/Michelle - Ryoko Shintani
Eugene - Tohru Furusawa
Balbagan - Taiten Kusunoki
Leonid - Junichi Suwabe
Toma - Akeno Watanabe
Subaru - Naoko Matsui
Komachi - Yuki Matsuoka
Sarande - Yuri Amano

Screens

Who else is excited for the best next-gen RPG yet! (Okay, that's not really saying much is it?  Regardless, it looks and sounds fantastic!)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:30:34 AM by Bill Aurion »
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Undiscovery (360)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »
I'm rather uncertain about this game. My purchase will be greatly influenced by reviews and impressions.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
I'M excited!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:18:30 AM »
I just pre-ordered this, tales of symphonia 2, tales of vesperia my backlog is going to kill me.

Also if you preorder at amazon there's a pre-order bonus of : Order Bonus
Order today and receive a limited foil print, as well as a download code to unlock your choice of five different in-game items that affect your character's growth and abilities. Foil and code will be packed with the game. Offer good while supplies last. Promotion valid only when sold and shipped by Amazon.com.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:20:10 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:49:48 PM »

PartyBear, is that you?

All I've ever heard about this game is the hype, and that I should buy it.  So this thread has been helpful.  Sounds like pretty generic JRPG stuff story wise, but I am interested in the real-time combat.  I'll probably wait for reviews as well.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Sounds like pretty generic JRPG stuff story wise, but I am interested in the real-time combat.

The game sounds character-driven, with a story there just to set a goal, which to me sounds far more enticing than your average RPG...

Anyway, here is the incredible full-length opening theme for everyone to listen to!  Sakuraba!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~