Author Topic: Japanese Weekly Software and Hardware Charts for July 21 ā€“ 27  (Read 5928 times)

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Wario flops into the charts and barely makes a splash.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=16518

This was a mixed week for Nintendo with continuing high sales of Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit, but a disappointing start for Wario Land: Shake It.  In fact, if it weren't for Dragon Quest, Sony would own the top half of the charts entirely. However, Square Enix's fifth Nintendo DS remake seems to be doing very well and should easily take one million units in the next few weeks.    

01. [NDS] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix) - 190,438 / 834,000
 02. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami) - 83,855 / New Entry
 03. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe (Namco Bandai Games) - 42,860 / 180,000
 04. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd (Falcom) - 38,805 / New Entry
 05. [PS3] SIREN: New Translation (SCEI) - 34,532 / New Entry
 06. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Hyper - Moeyo Mirai (Takara Tomy) - 31,546 / New Entry
 07. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 29,607 / 2,410,000
 08. [WII] Wario Land: Shake It! (Nintendo) - 25,377 / New Entry
 09. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 25,359 / 1,610,000
 10. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami) - 21,665 / New Entry

On the hardware front the PSP still remains king, while the PS3 dropped in sales significantly. This gives Nintendo a full 10,000 unit lead in combined unit sales of all their respective systems this week.    

01 - PSP 67,452
 02- DS Lite 56,968
 03 - Wii 41,024
 04 - PS3 10,692
 05 - PS2 9,291
 06 - Xbox 360 4,941

I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Weekly Software and Hardware Charts for July 21 ā€“ 27
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »
i seriously wonder why Wario isn't Wiiware game. No way I'll pay $50 for that, I know Nintendo is greedy but you have to balance out greed with smart business. Wario Land might sell a good 200K in America and same elsewhere. Where it could of sold allot better as an Wiiware game and maybe even a million in each area. I would pick up the game for 2000 Wiipoints, but not for $50. Quantity.

Look at 360 sales, its half of PS3 so its not as horrible as you might expect. I don't get why Japan HATES 360 with a passion it has so many games, I would be a dual console owner if I had extra money. If I can get into Brain Training and RPG's they can get into FPS and Action.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:29:16 PM »
Attitudes like that are why 2D games are so rare on consoles.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:53:18 PM »
They couldn't fit in the animated cutscenes on to WiiWare. Hence, disk space is used!
Still, it has beautiful animations and backgrounds. That's already great leeway on something I would spend US$50 on.

As for the 360, Japan loves 360! Kinda... Hey, they bought Ace Combat 6 for it.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:53:22 AM »
I wonder if Wario Land Shake did poorly because of Master Of Disguise?  Since Master of Disguise was so poor, it might have put a bad taste in the mouth of the tradition Wario fanbase in Japan and they didn't care for this one.  If this is the case then maybe with good word of mouth, once fans hear that this Wario Land is good and not bad like Master of Disguise, sales might slowly rise.
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 04:02:49 AM »
I know Nintendo is greedy but you have to balance out greed with smart business.

Yeah because Nintendo definitely is doing poorly on the business front.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
Quantity.

I'd much prefer Quality, thanks.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »
I don't think a WiiWare version of Wario would have sold enough to offset the lower price (it would have to be cheaper, Wii Points are bought in increments of $/ā‚¬20 and buying two cards for one game would be just plain nuts).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »

A big WTF at these numbers *sigh*.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 03:33:33 PM »
I don't care how much Wario Land releases for, day 1 purchase.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »

A big WTF at these numbers *sigh*.

Seriously? Wasn't the Wario main series pretty obscure anyway? Add the 2d-ness on a home console and you got a game with little appeal.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »
Wasn't the Wario main series pretty obscure anyway? Add the 2d-ness on a home console and you got a game with little appeal.

But, but... it's Wario  :'( .

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 03:56:13 PM »
but but no one cares
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
Nobody cares about Daisy either :P .

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:14:37 PM »

Seriously? Wasn't the Wario main series pretty obscure anyway? Add the 2d-ness on a home console and you got a game with little appeal.

Your right.  Other then the first Wario Land, the series was never big in Japan.  Wario Land 2, 3 and 4 all averaged around 300,000 in Japan, and Master of Disguise managed somewhere over 200,000.  So this is why Shake did pretty poorly on the Wii  in Japan now, since it wasn't that big on the handhelds to begin with.

Of course in America the Wario Land games put up number close to one million and sometimes over.  So I'd imagine Wario Land Shake will do at least a few hundred thousand in America, which will actually be very good considering it's a 2d game on a home console.  I have no idea how well it'll do in Europe though.
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »
i seriously wonder why Wario isn't Wiiware game. No way I'll pay $50 for that, I know Nintendo is greedy but you have to balance out greed with smart business. Wario Land might sell a good 200K in America and same elsewhere. Where it could of sold allot better as an Wiiware game and maybe even a million in each area. I would pick up the game for 2000 Wiipoints, but not for $50. Quantity.

Look at 360 sales, its half of PS3 so its not as horrible as you might expect. I don't get why Japan HATES 360 with a passion it has so many games, I would be a dual console owner if I had extra money. If I can get into Brain Training and RPG's they can get into FPS and Action.

I'm honestly starting to believe you are really someone's dupe account created for the sole purpose of trolling threads, much to the lulz of the users and the owner.

I agree with your logic of games being priced according to their content and genre. However, you using Wario Land as an example is downright ridiculous.

Have you even seen gameplay videos? It features some really rock solid platforming, combined with inventive puzzles and classic collect-a thons of old. Not only that, the presentation is truly something, something unexpected in a Nintendo game.

Combine that with a solid 10 hour play through along with replay value and you have a solid package that's worth the 50 dollars. Not to mention that this is one of the few 2D platformers on a console, and a true, down to Earth Wario game.

Finally...IT'S A CORE GAME FROM NINTENDO! You know, the type of games Nintendo has been ignoring lately and making people sad in their pants?

With these facts under its belt how can you dismiss Wario Land?

Oh right, you dismissed Zack and Wiki for being smarter than you.

No surprise there...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 06:52:20 PM »

I'm honestly starting to believe you are really someone's dupe account created for the sole purpose of trolling threads, much to the lulz of the users and the owner.

I agree with your logic of games being priced according to their content and genre. However, you using Wario Land as an example is downright ridiculous.

Have you even seen gameplay videos? It features some really rock solid platforming, combined with inventive puzzles and classic collect-a thons of old. Not only that, the presentation is truly something, something unexpected in a Nintendo game.

Combine that with a solid 10 hour play through along with replay value and you have a solid package that's worth the 50 dollars. Not to mention that this is one of the few 2D platformers on a console, and a true, down to Earth Wario game.

Finally...IT'S A CORE GAME FROM NINTENDO! You know, the type of games Nintendo has been ignoring lately and making people sad in their pants?

With these facts under its belt how can you dismiss Wario Land?

Oh right, you dismissed Zack and Wiki for being smarter than you.

No surprise there...

Be nice Papster. :(

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 07:53:10 PM »
Yeah, but like somebody else said...it's Wario.  It doesn't really matter how good the game is, Wario is a minor character and his games have always been obscure gems, not blockbuster titles.  He isn't even as well-known a character as Kirby and Yoshi.

The biggest WTF for me here is the PSP sales.  Is Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G THAT GOOD?  Hell, I'm a PSP fan, and even I don't know what the Japanese are buying that much PSP hardware for.  It sure isn't big releases.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 08:04:49 PM »
Yeah, but like somebody else said...it's Wario.  It doesn't really matter how good the game is, Wario is a minor character and his games have always been obscure gems, not blockbuster titles.  He isn't even as well-known a character as Kirby and Yoshi.

The biggest WTF for me here is the PSP sales.  Is Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G THAT GOOD?  Hell, I'm a PSP fan, and even I don't know what the Japanese are buying that much PSP hardware for.  It sure isn't big releases.

Don't they use it for homebrew? I heard there is a reason for it and it isn't to buy software!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »

To me, it doesn't even matter if a game stars a very obscure character or God's second son. What matters is that the core gameplay and overall package is great. Isn't that what the Nintendo games stand for?

This is a very shallow way of looking at things. The game may not be a triple AAA super duper special mega awesome orgasmic event of the year, but its definitely an effort worth trying out, one built upon the foundation some people Nintendo is greatly ignoring.

Isn't that enough?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 01:02:50 AM »
Ok guys, who would buy Wario Land Shake without the huge anime cutscenes for say.....1000 Wii points on WiiWare?

Personally, I think this could have been a game that convinced people to buy their first WiiWare game!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 01:09:04 AM »

PSP has some good games but they usually fall under most people's radar. I've heard Monster Hunter games are very good as a portable series; easy to accomplish something in short bursts. I've heard very little about the PS2 games; I guess we'll see how the Wii games turns out...

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 01:23:55 AM »
i seriously wonder why Wario isn't Wiiware game. No way I'll pay $50 for that, I know Nintendo is greedy but you have to balance out greed with smart business.

I hate this new fad of 2D = downloadable game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 02:49:24 AM »
Hell, until recently I didn't even know there was a Wario Land 2 and 3, I only saw SML3:WL and WL4 in stores and assumed they continued the numbering from the Super Mario Land series.

pap: Silks was talking about why it didn't sell big. Sales do hinge on things like popularity of the character, whether you like it or not.