Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 109  (Read 14994 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 109
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Holy crap on a stick, we love Nintendo!  More than you, even!
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=16489

Look what you made us do.  

Episode 109: The Happy Fun Optimistic Show    

AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes        Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

Jon Lindemann sat out this show, so we brought in Nick DiMola to have someone who actually likes Nintendo games.  With a dismal E3 behind us, we focus on a positive outlook for the rest of the year.  Both Jonny and James now have 360s (and Nick already had one), but we manage to keep New Business focused mostly on Nintendo platforms.    

In part two, we sift through a serious backlog of Listener Mail and answer your many questions.  The mail volume really was unprecedented, so our apologies if your letter didn't make it on the show!  Please keep sending in those questions and comments -- you can use the site's email form if you forget the address.  We'd like to read mail more often now that things have settled down.    

For a rare third segment, Nick brought in a hefty list of upcoming WiiWare games that we think sound promising.  Not the usual crap like Pong Toss, but awesome titles like Space Invaders Get Even, Mega Man 9, Strong Bad, and much more.  Actually, there are so many games to look forward to that we ran out of time on this episode, so Nick will return next week with the rest of the list.    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by James Jones.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 109
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »
This podcast was (slowly) edited by James Jones.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »
Nice title.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
I slightly redesigned the podcast article this week, trying to bring the text up higher on the page while adding extra links for the RSS feeds so they're easier to find.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:48:38 PM »
I slightly redesigned the podcast article this week, trying to bring the text up higher on the page while adding extra links for the RSS feeds so they're easier to find.

i like it. So far so good.

I rented monkey ball and it was HORRIBLE, and I would love to download Space Invaders DS, I also don't feel its worth while to take the plunge for $20.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »
Oh it's worth it. Perfect for the DS!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 12:47:31 AM »
Oh it's worth it. Perfect for the DS!

I KEEP forgetting about this game whenever I have extra money. Seems like a cool game, I REALLY want to play it before I buy it though. I really hope Nintendo channel updates with it.

FYI I own Final Fantasy VI on GBA and so far is great. I'm at the opera, and I don't want to memorize the whole thing (messed up on first line ) so I stopped playing a few days ago because I was scared I had to memorize the whole thing. I didn't realize the script had a point I thought it was just a neato thing.

Also RE4 had a few small 'jump moments'. 1) on the island a guy breaks through a oven on fire at your character as you walk into the room. 2) You walk by a dumpster and you see something in a bag jump around.
I enjoyed the "rush" RE4 gave you because panic you dealt with. The regenerators were scary, monks chants were spooky.

Overall much better show than last week. A little long, and whats with the music? sometimes it lasted like 5 minutes and it was totally different

overall 8/10
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:00:34 AM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:10:19 AM »
The music are from the same songs (although I flipped what I commonly use for "break 1" and "break 2") but from a different section of the song and more of it.

I used about 1:20 for the first break and about 1:11 in the second.  If I had let break 1 run a bit longer you would have heard the song I usually use for break 2 kick in.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:53:38 PM »
I gave James some much longer break clips, thinking that after hearing us talk for 45 minutes straight, you might appreciate a minute or two of music.  Feedback is welcome.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
I like the new clips.  Makes me regret not seeing him perform last time he was in town.  Not much of a blues fan myself, but I dig what he does with it.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »
Really good episode again guys. I'm really impressed with how you have been able to keep these podcasts at such a good length (especially with how few games come out during the summer) without the quality diminishing (okay, so sometimes it drags on). I had no problem with your negativity last episode, but I can understand why others might have. I think you made the right decision by finding something positive with the upcoming WiiWare games.

One reason I made this account was to thank you for answering my question. Your responses were very acute and logical; it was a shame it had to be cut off, but I can understand why you did. I've sent multiple emails to another podcast I listen to and they've never answered one of them while you've replied to both my emails (I sent another in for Episode 100). I've started listening to the podcast since Jonny (or another staff member) posted a topic about Episode 84 on NeoGAF and have tried to promote it on there when I can (made a topic about your E3 podcasts). I didn't think it was possible anyone could make a Nintendo only podcast so interesting each week. They hardly talk about Nintendo games at all on 1up Yours, Giant Bombcast and other podcasts I listen to, so it's nice to know every week I can get my fix somewhere else. I use to listen to IGN's Nintendo podcast, but it's so boring and uninteresting in comparison that I only listen to Radio Free Nintendo now. Matt Casamassina is also an elitist douchebag.

As I've said in my emails, keep up the good work and I'm interested to see what you do this fall with the less then stellar line up. I really hope you focus in on the third party titles especially de Blob, Sonic Unleashed, Dragon Quest IV, Tales of Symphonia 2, Wario Land and Samba. I was happy to hear someone on the podcast likes Sam and Max, since I've been thinking about taking the plunge into the series with the Wii game.

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone one the staff would be willing to read a review I just did for Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2; I'm just looking for feedback. It's the first review I've ever written. I don't want to be a video games journalist or anything, I've just always enjoyed writing so I decided recently to start reviewing games for good practice. I know Jonny and Greg both loved Galaxies but any input would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:04:39 PM by Schadenfreude »

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 10:03:51 PM »
Jonny loves GW2.  He won't shut-up about it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 10:42:02 PM »
I just grabbed Geometry Wars 2 today at Jonny's urging.  I loved the first one, but figured that GW2 would be more of the same (I was wrong).  I'm busily trying to even come close to Jonny's scores - he's really good.

Thanks for the kind words, Schadenfreude.  If you want to post your review, check out the Reader Reviews area of our forums!
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
I just grabbed Geometry Wars 2 today at Jonny's urging.  I loved the first one, but figured that GW2 would be more of the same (I was wrong).  I'm busily trying to even come close to Jonny's scores - he's really good.

Thanks for the kind words, Schadenfreude.  If you want to post your review, check out the Reader Reviews area of our forums!

I saw the forums, but I was hesitant because I thought they were for Nintendo platforms only.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:51:34 PM by Schadenfreude »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 11:04:42 PM »
I saw the forums, but I was hesitant because I thought they were for Nintendo platforms only.

Primarily, but there's some 360 stuff in there too.  Go ahead and post it!
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »
You can post non-Nintendo stuff in any forum that isn't explicitly stated as being a "Nintendo" board.  Many of our members own a diverse collection of systems.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 02:36:56 AM »
You can post non-Nintendo stuff in any forum that isn't explicitly stated as being a "Nintendo" board.  Many of our members own a diverse collection of systems.

Only one is a serious gamer though. So that spot is already taken!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 (GWRE2) is more diversified than Geometry Wars Retro Evolved (GWRE). In terms of difficulty I think GWRE is much harder, and even the achievments are much harder to get in GWRE, but don't think that GWRE2 does not have its fair share of challenge.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
Well I was hoping it wouldn't be blatantly obvious that I was sick on this episode but good god voice cracking galore.

Anyway, this was fun and I thought it went better than the last time I was on. I guess we'll see how this week goes...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »
Only one is a serious gamer though. So that spot is already taken!

Hands off the throne, lady!
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
Maybe she wants to be your Queen, she's already the Borg Queen anyway, so resistance is futile, all hail the Queen... not really.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 (GWRE2) is more diversified than Geometry Wars Retro Evolved (GWRE). In terms of difficulty I think GWRE is much harder, and even the achievments are much harder to get in GWRE, but don't think that GWRE2 does not have its fair share of challenge.

I may have to buy a 360 just to play this game, who knows when the next Wii iteration will come out.  Based on the fact the current game is in the bargain bin, it probably isn't happening.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »
-Crimm and his Space Invaders Extreme negativity, thumbs down.
-Well I'm interested in Mercury Meltdown.
-Yeah I'm also surprised nothing was shown at E3 on the Crystal Chronicles Wii game, bummer.
-I like Waluigi.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »
Somebody needs to take a contrary position.  I'm not going to let a game go unscathed on this show.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 07:29:44 PM »
lol, ok boss.