Author Topic: PREVIEWS: Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
PREVIEWS: Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »
Search for the heir to the riches of Mr. Rich.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/previewArt.cfm?artid=16387

Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir is the upcoming Nintendo published DS casual mystery and puzzle game.  An all new entry in the popular Mystery Case Files series for the PC and Mac, MillionHeir's story focuses on the mysterious disappearance of the aptly named Phil T. Rich.  The player takes the role of the Master Detective who is brought in to solve the case and find the rightful heir for Mr. Rich's riches.    

The "seek and find" gameplay tasks players with investigating the twelve potential heirs by searching for clues interwoven into thirty detailed scenes.  With over 1,000 items to find, there's a lot of searching to be done.  Once the player finds enough items in an area, it is considered to be "cleared" and the player can move on.  All of the searching is done via the touch-screen, allowing the player to investigate the settings with simple stylus gestures.  The game also features mini-game "brain teasers" between each of these areas.    

Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir features multi-card multiplayer modes, with up to four players able to play at one time.   The game's co-op mode lets players search for clues together.  The competitive mode pits players against each other to see who can find the most clues hidden in a scene.  MillionHeir also features DS Download Play, allowing players to send a demo to other DS systems.    

Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir will release September 8th, 2008 as part of Nintendo's Touch Generation series.  It is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.  Check out the official trailer for the game below.    

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline bubicus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PREVIEWS: Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
As an interesting side note, it's a Nintendo-published game developed by a third party in the United States (Big Fish Games). Isn't that a first? All of the other Nintendo-published games have been developed by Japanese third-party developers.
-----------------------------------------------------
Someday, I'll resurrect bubblebobble.com/bubandbob.com...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:47:17 PM »
No, there have been many such games, usually sports-related.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
I picked this up today in hopes that it would be similar to Professor Layton, Hotel Dusk or (I wish) Trace Memory.

I'm going to have to say it's not worth the $20.  If you haven't already, pick up Hotel Dusk - it was recently re-released for $20 and is a much better game.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:38:45 PM »
The demo which was a giant scavenger hunt was quite boring, if the whole game is just a giant scavenger hunt then meh.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:12:16 AM »
The demo which was a giant scavenger hunt was quite boring, if the whole game is just a giant scavenger hunt then meh.

Read the preview...that I don't remember writing.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 01:16:52 AM »
As an interesting side note, it's a Nintendo-published game developed by a third party in the United States (Big Fish Games). Isn't that a first? All of the other Nintendo-published games have been developed by Japanese third-party developers.

Geist
Mario Pinball
Excite Truck

There are many more.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:24:16 AM »

Read the preview...that I don't remember writing.

I like your sarcasm but I seriously hate games where the gameplay is so one dimensional since stuff like this devolves into tap every pixel until you find something.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 06:52:39 AM »
Is it the first US multiplatform title Nintendo published? Probably not.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »
I just got this game in the mail for a review. It's not as bad as all that. If you like the "I Spy" books, you'll like this game. There are some interesting DS-specific minigames, too. Expect a full review by the end of the weekend.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
Someone at 1up said Nintendo hired two actors to promote the game at their office. One was dressed up as a cop and the other was handcuffed. The cop then had the editor play the game as the PR person stood behind him. I can only imagine the awkwardness.