Author Topic: Rhythm Doctor is coming to Switch!  (Read 1950 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Rhythm Doctor is coming to Switch!
« on: January 23, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »

A one-button rhythm game inspired by Rhythm Heaven 7 years in the making is nearing completion and today they announced it's coming to Switch!

Ever since i tried the original Flash demo, i knew this game is special. Throughout the years they kept showing their progress through closed beta versions for mailing list subscribers and some of the levels in there were extremely well done. Think Elite Beat Agents level of stories.

Check out this footage of me failing in July 2016 beta level if you want some "that EBA Christmas level" tier of stuff:

https://my.mixtape.moe/njwivp.webm

Actual gameplay consists of only pressing one button in rhythm. The only rule is that you need to press the button on the 7th beat. That's it.

Of course, anyone who knows Rhythm Heaven knows it's not that easy as it sounds. Rhythm Doctor is just as strict with it's timing and will use more than one track, each with different and irregular times. Polyrhythm ability is very much required:

And again -- just like in RH -- visuals will often be used as distraction rather than an aid, forcing player to rely more on rhythm itself.

Last year they did a major breakthrough creating a custom level editor and there are now 400+ custom levels and counting.

Including a rendition of Splatoon music:

Or a custom level based on Mudeth's music for The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth:

Track from LISA: The Joyful:

One of the most impressive track i've seen in terms of how complex it is rhythmically:

If you want to check it out right now, play old Flash demo (needs Flash) or download latest level editor.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:39:25 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Rhythm Doctor is coming to Switch!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »
I watched some of those videos and it makes no sense to me. Im not sure what determines when the player is supposed to press the button.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Rhythm Doctor is coming to Switch!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:13:57 PM »
Actual in-game levels all conform to
you need to press the button on the 7th beat.
rule.

Most of the custom level break that rule and only conform to the general feeling of rhythm.

In worst case you can just treat it as your regular guitar hero-type "rhythm" game with tracks showing you when you need to press the button.

Their new trailer should explains "seventh beat" thing in detail:

Winners don't hate and W101 rocks