Author Topic: Which unannounced Wii U port would you buy on Switch, and why is it Bayonetta 2?  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
In all seriousness, this is just your basic port-begging thread. Yeah, we all want new games. I'm just curious what Wii U ports you'd buy because you missed it the first time around or you just want it on Switch for whatever reason.

Here's my Top 3:
1. Bayonetta 1 and 2 because of the value, and Bayonetta is a fun character.
2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD because it's gorgeous and my favorite pre-Breath of the Wild 3D Zelda.
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze because I didn't play it on Wii U and would be more likely to in handheld mode with a friend.

Super Mario Maker on Switch would be better as a sequel that introduced slopes, additional art styles (e.g. Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Land), and all power-ups added to all art styles.

There's an opportunity to add so much content to Super Smash Bros. that it would seem unfair to call it a port.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:55:05 PM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I vote for none of them, unless they were to come out within the next month or so. After 6 months it's time to stop porting Wii U games and put out new titles. They should make an Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask HD though...even if it's just a port of the 3DS games.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
And it only took one post for someone to say, "it's time to stop porting Wii U games and put out new titles."

Jebus.............

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I'd like to see DKC Tropical Freeze too, as well as Captain Toad.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
NES Remix 1 & 2 seems well suited to the Switch.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Bayo games, Tropical Freeze. The first largely because then people will actually bother to acknowledge its existence.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Does it have to be Wii U ports?

Although my recollection of the reception for it seemed to be so-so or less positive than past entries, I'd still be interested in giving Batman: Arkham Knight a go. And I'd still like to see the original Batman: Arkham Asylum ported to a Nintendo console at some point.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
For Switch you'd likely want to go for something that takes advantage of the easy-to-drop-in multiplayer I think. So Yoshi's Woolly World, Pokémon Tournament, DKC Tropical Freeze & Super Smash Bros. seem like good candidates, as does Rayman Legends.

Yoshi is getting a Switch sequel rather and was already down-ported, Pokémon & Rayman will get the Switch port. Donkey Kong sounds like a wild card to me, since Retro's of course working on a gigantic sequel already. BELIEVE

Smash Bros. I would have expected this holiday if they didn't already have this many titles for the Fall lined up, so that's getting less likely in my opinion. At some point they're gonna cross the mark where the market will just expect a brand-new instalment, rather than a port with the DLC included. Or at least with substantial additions?

Actually, the Kirby title on Wii U would work rather well with the touchscreen or maybe pointer controls. But with a 2018 Kirby title on the horizon that seems unlikely too.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
The "Rainfall" games would be good for me, since I bought those on Wii and have yet to play them.

Also, Tropical Freeze for reasons others have stated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a Rayman Legends port announced?  I remember not finishing this game, so I would be willing to give it another go.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a Rayman Legends port announced?  I remember not finishing this game, so I would be willing to give it another go.

Yup, not sure when the full game drops, but I think the demo is out maybe this week on Switch? Possibly next week. With Rabids Kingdom releasing at the end of this month, I imagine Ubisoft will hold off for a while, so as not to compete with their own game, but maybe September?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Nice.  I might not get it right away, but that could easily be a down-the-road purchase for me.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Demo is out today for Rayman Legends on Switch: full game is September 12
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Devil's Third?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Disaster: Day of Crisis would be good since the console is region-free and I could get the European version.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
I also want to throw my hat into the ring for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, never got round to playing it but I heard great things.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I don't have any desire for Wii U ports because I have a Wii U and most of the best games are still easy to find physical copies of.  I can see why people who didn't own a Wii U want all the games ported but I don't really understand why Wii U owners want them.  The only reason I can see is if you want portable versions of those games.  Some special editions that include all the DLC on the cart would be nice though.  I don't have SSB and would love a version with all the DLC.  I'd buy that on the Switch instead of getting the Wii U version.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions really justified buying a Wii U for me.  I would like to see that game get a second chance since it would increase the likelihood of a sequel being made.  Super Mario Maker benefits greatly from its online community and its full potential was likely restricted by the small Wii U userbase.  But I would prefer a Switch sequel that adds more stuff to it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Does it have to be Wii U ports?
Nah. Just have fun with the discussion. I just really wanted the Bayonetta 2 gag.
I don't have any desire for Wii U ports because I have a Wii U and most of the best games are still easy to find physical copies of.  I can see why people who didn't own a Wii U want all the games ported but I don't really understand why Wii U owners want them.  The only reason I can see is if you want portable versions of those games.  Some special editions that include all the DLC on the cart would be nice though.  I don't have SSB and would love a version with all the DLC.  I'd buy that on the Switch instead of getting the Wii U version.
You started your post with "I don't have any desire for Wii U ports" then ended it mentioning a few Wii U ports (enhanced ports are still ports). There's still a desire for Wii U games. Portability is a big reason for some, particularly if it gives those Wii U games new life. Switch made Wii U's already glaring flaws even more noticeable. I don't really like turning it on these days unless I have to.

There are Wii U games I'd never consider double dipping (e.g. New Super Mario Bros. U). The entire purpose of this thread is that there are specific instances in which we would. Besides the ones in the OP, I'd like another crack at The Wonderful 101. After using Switch in handheld mode, it's really hard to go back to the GamePad.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
There were a lot of games I never purchased on Wii U, so here is my list based on games I either never finished or purchased. I would love to have these on the go with Switch. I would also hope these titles would be enhanced in some manner as a deluxe version.

Star Fox Zero (with classic controls)
Super Mario 3D World
Bayonetta 2
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
Yoshi's Woolly World
The Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I already have most of the Wii U games that I want, and some of the things I don't have would probably be cheaper on Wii U than they would on Switch. So any port/remaster I might want would be simply something I don't have. Since it was one of the last games released, Paper Mario Colour Splash would probably be a good candidate. I don't think they produced all that many copies and I'm not so sure I'll find a good deal on it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
It will make a double post but I might as well provide an update here. I ended up finding Paper Mario Color Splash on sale over the holidays, so that covers it for me. A friend also gave me Star Fox Zero for my birthday so that hole has been filled as well. Hyrule Warriors has since been announced for Switch, so that handles another game I didn't get for Wii U and I'll probably grab it on Switch at some point. Same for Pokken. Bayonetta 1 and 2 are also going to Switch, but I think I still don't care about those games and won't be getting them.

I've been thinking about the remaining Nintendo-published Wii U games I don't yet have and evaluating what I might want, so I might as well post about the list here.

Devil's Third - I was mildly curious about it, but it was the kind of thing I'd grab for $20. A small print run ensured its price would never drop, so I won't be getting it. I highly doubt they will bother porting this to Switch since they barely released it on Wii U as is.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - I don't care for horror games so I'm fine without this.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - This game looked okay, but I still haven't played my copy of Canvas Curse on DS so it didn't seem worth buying a sequel just yet. I may try searching for a copy if I ever get around to the DS game and like it. A Switch port sounds dubious, but I guess you never know.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Since I already own this game on Wii, I don't care too much about this version and wouldn't want to pay that much for it. I have seen it on sale before but it sold out before I was able to snag a copy, so I may have missed my chance. This one might be ported to Switch, but it's tough to say.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - I think these games are okay so I usually pick them up when they get cheap. However, as one of the last Wii U games released, few copies were produced, resulting in it maintaining its price. Doesn't look like I'll be getting it for Wii U and a port seems extremely unlikely, but the game doesn't look very good anyway so I'm okay with that.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash - This game seems pretty bare-bones. I still considered picking it up as recently it's dropped in price to around $20, however now that Mario Tennis Aces is announced for Switch I see no reason to get this game for any price.

NES Remix Pack - Since I received the first NES Remix from Club Nintendo, I would have just been getting this for the second game. Even at the Selects pricing, I didn't really want it. I may still grab it at some point, but I'm okay without it. Port seems unlikely, but I could see a new "Remix" game happening such as SNES or Game Boy.

SiNG Party - Ah, the failed launch experiment no one seems to remember. I have no interest in it either.

Wii Sports Club - This didn't seem to offer enough over the original Wii Sports to be worth it to me. It must not have sold very well as there don't seem to be very many copies floating around, so it definitely doesn't seem worth the price. I can't see Nintendo porting this due to the Wii name. I wouldn't mind seeing a new sports compilation from Nintendo that uses the Joy-Cons, though.

Wii Fit U - I doubt they will port this for similar reasons as the above. I've always been curious about the Wii Fit games but never got around to picking up any. There are enough Balance Boards out there that I could get one for a reasonable price, so I might still grab this at some point. Just hasn't been a priority.

Overall, I think I may be about finished with Wii U game buying (Nintendo-published or otherwise), and also feel okay with that. There are just a few things I would get for the right price, but nothing I strongly want and would be okay sticking with my current collection. I also prefer to buy new since used discs are a crapshoot, and it could become increasingly difficult to find new condition games at reasonable prices now that most stores have just about stopped carrying the games.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
NES Remix Pack - Since I received the first NES Remix from Club Nintendo, I would have just been getting this for the second game. Even at the Selects pricing, I didn't really want it. I may still grab it at some point, but I'm okay without it. Port seems unlikely, but I could see a new "Remix" game happening such as SNES or Game Boy.

The second game is much better then the first since it's filled with later NES games that have aged much better then the early ones in the first one.  So if you even somewhat enjoyed the first I'd heavily recommend going for it since the 2nd one is a lot more fun to play.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Rainbow Curse is an alright game that had a decent price for it. So it's worth playing if you can find it cheap.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Wii Fit U - I doubt they will port this for similar reasons as the above. I've always been curious about the Wii Fit games but never got around to picking up any. There are enough Balance Boards out there that I could get one for a reasonable price, so I might still grab this at some point. Just hasn't been a priority.

I think a case could be made for the WiiFit series.  I'd like to see something that could integrate the Switch Online app, where I could track fitness progress through my phone and maybe work in other things that work with my phone (pedometer, etc).  Also, the joycon would work much better than the Wiimote+ and Nunchuck combo.  I always thought it was weird that few games used two WM+es (at least at all levels) and ones that didn't suffered for it.