Author Topic: Nintendo Posts Annual Loss Following Below-Expectation Hardware Sales  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile

The publisher targets a profit for next fiscal year as it rethinks the strategy for the struggling Wii U.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37353/nintendo-posts-annual-loss-following-below-expectation-hardware-sales

Nintendo has announced an annual net loss of 23.2 billion yen ($229 million, or £134 million) for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, citing the lower-than-expected worldwide sales of both Wii U and 3DS, in addition to the retail markdown on Wii U in various territories, as the main factors.

The Wii U shifted just 2.72 million units over the last year, still missing the reduced forecasts Nintendo made in January, which means that lifetime-to-date sales since the system's launch in November 2012 sit at 6.1 million. This was compounded further by disappointing yearly software sales of 18.86 million units, in spite of titles like Super Mario 3D World, New Super Luigi U and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD all selling over a million copies.

The Nintendo 3DS fared much better despite also falling short of the company's targets, moving 12.24 million units in the last 12 months, taking the lifetime total up to 43.3 million. Bright spots on the 3DS software sales front include Pokémon X and Y, which sold 12.26 million copies, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which pushed 7.66 million copies, while Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team all crossed 2 million in sales.

In response to these figures - the second net loss in the last three years for the publisher - Nintendo is forecasting a profit for the coming fiscal year, predicting 12 million sales for 3DS and 3.6 million sales for Wii U. Referring to the latter system, the company said it would make efforts to "enrich the value of the Wii U GamePad" by releasing more software that took advantage of the controller, such as games using NFC technology and Nintendo DS releases on Virtual Console. However, the 3DS platform was identified as the primary area where Nintendo would "strive to generate robust profits" as it looks to build upon the established install base with further software sales.

Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
I think the problem is, they keep having expectations for themselves.  Anyone with a brain knows that Nintendo is going down a scary road to oblivion.  Mark my words.  It will only be a matter of time before Mario's on android and IOS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
On the bright side, the attach rate is 3:1 for games sold vs install base for the year.
Not everything is bad news.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Smash 4 may get more U's moving, but 3 million? HAH. Unless the Dynasty Warriors/Zelda hybrid really REALLY impresses, 3 mil is a delusion, not a goal.

And let's not kid ourselves, Bayonetta 2 won't help. The first one struggled to sell on the PS3/360, and it was hyped to hell and back nonstop.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo admitted their WiiU pillars were Smash and Mario Kart. Time to see if they have a GTAV level of marketing in them.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I think the problem is, they keep having expectations for themselves.

I don't know if you were trying to funny but I laughed at this.  That's such a witty mean thing to say about someone. :)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I wonder if the bump in their Construction-In-Progress has to do with building a plant to make the NFC figurines.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
I wonder if the bump in their Construction-In-Progress has to do with building a plant to make the NFC figurines.

So...figures caused these figures?

sorry
Gouge away.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
It figures you would make that joke.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile

How you figure that?
Gouge away.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
I think you can now say there's historical evidence that Nintendo has no capability to forecast their sales.  Coming from Supply Management, I can attest that forecasting is an educated guess at best, but if that's the case, then Nintendo's forecasters have been sleeping in class.

I hesitate to think Nintendo will actually reach profitability next year, unless they expect to reach it by cutting cost above all else.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

How you figure that?

You figure it out.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
Ha!
Gouge away.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Time for Iwata to go. He has had plenty of chances. The warning signs have been there for a long time. The company is as greedy, lazy and cynical as it has ever been. A change at the top and a change of approach starting with putting the wants of consumers before the wants of shareholders.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
Time for Iwata to go. He has had plenty of chances.
- Miyamoto

Someone is hoping for a promotion.

Gouge away.