Author Topic: Episode 6: TANOOKI ONSEN 3D  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Episode 6: TANOOKI ONSEN 3D
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »

Would any other podcast discuss Mario 3D Land and public bathhouses in the same episode? I think not. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/famicast/28404

Danny and JC return to the studio to give you the latest Famicast! In this episode, the guys bring a new feature, Taste of Japan, in an attempt to give you a better idea about not only the gaming scene in Japan, but life in Japan in general.

Super Mario 3D Land is also a point of discussion as JC and Danny give impressions of the Japanese retail version of the game and how the Super Mario series is viewed in Japan. The guys also share the latest news in Japan from Dragon Quest X to online Wii Virtual Console titles. 

The winners from last episode's contest are also announced and their letters are read on the air. Tune in to see if you were one of the lucky ones to get your email read on the show and have prizes coming your way! And don't forget to check out the 2nd Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child's Play, which starts November 19 at 12:00 pm (noon) Eastern Time and can potentially keep going until 8 pm. If a total of $2000 is received, your very own Famicast crew will be on the show live! Donate that money so Danny and JC have to hit the airwaves early in the morning (7:00 AM, 11/20) live from Japan!

As always if you have a question for the Japan crew, send us an email to famicast@nintendoworldreport.com or drop by our always informative forum thread.

Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 6: TANOOKI ONSEN 3D
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:31:24 AM »
Radio Trivia: Famicast Edition!

Listen to the episode first then check back here to see how many you guessed right!

1 - Ocarina of Time - Song of storms
2 - Super Mario Bros 3
3 - Guiles Theme from SF2 (thanks to DOS via NintendoDaily
4 - Dragon Warrior
5 - Super Smash Brothers Brawl Opening
6 - Lady Gaga - Telephone
7 - Call of Duty Black Ops - Moon Nazis
8 - Goemon 64 - I am Impact!

Good luck and enjoy the episode!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
I am repulsed by freemium games. For me it automatically implies if I play for "free" I am not playing a complete game and if I do pay for it, there is no bottom as to how much I might pay, nor would I have a way to track my spending without noting down every transaction. It's disingenuous in the same way every informercials will have this statement "Buy now you get this free!". DLC in normal games can easily fall into the same trap.

As for "social" games, yuck. The best way I can describe those "Games" is work. At least with real work you get money. Here you get ever larger completely meaningless and equally worthless numbers while you pester all your friends on facebook so they can work for you out of guilt. Plant seeds, water, harvest crops, repeat in bigger field. Social and freemium "games" are Skinner Boxes which is easily the best insult I can level against them.

Japan has shown dedicated portable and mobile gaming can co-exists peacefully. While I will never enjoy mobile gaming, I don't see why there needs to be a war that leaves only one side standing. They can have their distractions as long as people like me demand bigger better, fuller complete games that can be controlled in a fitting manner. No number of smart phones sold is going to change that. I would exit from portable gaming altogether if smart phone games are the only thing left to play.

Give a booby prize for that last letter! If nothing else it triggered a funny quasi-Manzai show between the two of you. Had me in stiches.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »
Love the FamiCast, glad to see it back. Now listening... do not disturb...

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »
@ oohhboy
I agree with all your points there!

There are many other reasons why I think (hope) smartphones will never win over handheld gaming consoles:
*You need to upgrade hardware more often and at a much higher cost than handhelds. ($200 iTouch every 2 years, no thanks)
*They are exclusively online yet have poor online connectivity for games. GameCentre is joke.
*A big downside for me is not being able to rent/borrow/lend or trade in games.
*Constant updates to iOS games to fix bugs or to make them work with the multiple OS's available are annoying too. With the 3DS (etc) we're all in the same boat, same OS, same speed, same game catalogue. (I'm referring to how certain new games don't work on Gen1 or 2 devices)

As for social network games, they're years away from even being considered as games in my eyes, like you said, I get paid for work usually, not the other way around!

Hehe, didn't realise we'd inadvertently created a Manzai duo, do you have any suggestions for names we could go by?  ;)
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:03:38 AM »
Having imported a ton of used Japanese games, everything you've mentioned about the condition of the goods is true, but there is one downside... everything smells like cigarette smoke.

I saw a GREE ad in Silicon Valley. It featured a tentacled creature with the tagline "Huge in Japan."
Edit: found it online
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:49:23 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:03:26 AM »

Speaking of the subtitles and dubbing, I was almost stuck due to improper translation when playing Uncharted 3 with Japanese voices and English subtitles.

In a scene, Sally (a buddy) said, "Pick up an RPG and blow away the TORAKKU (truck)," or something like that in Japanese. In fact, there is a pickup truck nearby, which is a typical Japanese TORAKKU. I have tried to blow it away for about an hour, as I dodge in a bullet storm of turrets, but the TORAKKU seemed to be undestructible.

Then I noticed that in the English subtitles, it was referred to in the plural form as "those trucks", although there is only one pickup TORAKKU. I finally reached the conclusion that what should be blown away was the vehicles containing the turrets, which proved correct shortly. The point is that these vehicles are usually not called TORAKKU in Japanese, and note that there is no grammatical distinction between singular and plural in Japanese. These led to this improper translation.
Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:36:39 AM »
@Megabyte - I could see that happening, although I haven't bought any like that myself luckily.
Also, Gree in the US? Wtf?! Does not compute!

@Kikori SUGE! As Harrison Ford might say. Hehe, I actually thought you were going to say TORAKKU was actually the "tracks" i.e the train tracks. I guess that is yet another meaning that can be taken from that. Yeah, Katakana is stupid.
My favourite is ラスト (RASUTO) which can mean Lust, Last or Rust!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 02:43:23 AM »
Gree in the US? Wtf?! Does not compute!
Gree actually bought OpenFeint earlier this year, which was a social gaming platform that was starting to gain traction in the US. I've tried to play Japanese Gree games on my phone, but they make you login with a Japanese mobile e-mail address, which I don't have.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report