Author Topic: The 2013 3DS presents JRPG beastmode  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
The 2013 3DS presents JRPG beastmode
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »
So I don't know if anyone realized this, but the 3DS has suddenly become a powerhouse for JRPGs and their ilk in the west (or East, for our Aussie friends). Here's what we know so far... and a few possibilities.

Released
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Nintendo/Intelligent Systems

NA: Out
PAL: April 19
The game whose shortage caused many people to break their eShop retail celibacy vows... and it's still getting DLC support, in case you've beaten it already. Take heart Europe, you're getting an XL bundle instead of a taco version. Chrom x Female Avatar forever.

Etrian Odyssey IV - Atlus

NA: Out
PAL: Summer 2013. Published by NIS America because of reasons.
Atlus's fantasy dungeon crawler has a lot of things - map making, evil FOEs, and enough character customization to choke a horse. And as a special bonus, it comes with a complimentary visit from the To Catch a Predator guy. (Seriously, what is *with* the female character models in this game?)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Capcom

NA/PAL: Out
Japan's leading non-mecha cultural phenomenon hits a Nintendo portable for the first time, and you know it's doing well when Shibata has to apologize for shortages in Europe. Now, if only the online wasn't a pain in the tush to set up...

And then there's the future.

Soul Hackers - Atlus

NA: April 16
PAL: lol
For those of you who prefer your dungeon crawlers with less loli and more demon negotiation, Atlus has your back with the second longest game name on the system behind Devil Survivor Overclocked. Kimberly did a way better job of summing this game up, so go read it.

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Atlus

NA: July 16? (Source)
EU: lol
The series what brought you Persona has its first fully recognized sequel in a decade, and North America's getting it two months after Japan? Who cares, right? Well, it's the #1 bestseller on Amazon (Canada) for video games right now. Not bad for a premium priced 3DS game.

Project X Zone - Namco

NA: June 25
EU: Summer 2013
How this massively-multiplayer crossover between Namco/Bandai, Capcom and Sega got localized is a miracle on the order of Tatsunoko v. Capcom. But it's the only way you're going to play with Valkyria Chronicles 3 characters in English. Also, Monolith was involved. And I mean the good (Xenoblade) Monolith. Do I have your attention yet?

Rune Factory IV - XSEED/Marvelous

NA: Summer 2013
EU: No clue
For the Harvest Moon fans in the crowd, it's a futuristic Harvest Moon with extended dating, friends with benefits, and chatting with dragons. If you believe Wikipedia, they also drew inspiration from Pikmin.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team - Nintendo/AlphaDream

NA: Summer 2013
EU: Same
Ladies and gentlemen, the year of Weegee continues. Not much is known about the game - just what Iwata revealed back in the February Nintendo Direct - but if we're going into Luigi's dreams, this may be the most messed Nintendo RPG since Earthbound.

Pokemon X/Y - Nintendo/Pokemon Company Int'l

NA: October 2013
EU: Same
AKA "the game that will save Satoru Iwata's job when it makes half a billion in its opening weekend".

And then there's the potential for Bravely Default (Siliconera and others saying it was done at GDC, but who knows what's happening with SquareEnix now), Fantasy Life (appears on the infamous Nintendo of Spain software release slide and some trademarks, but Level 5 are known trolls), and even an outside shot of Dragon Quest VII coming over.

This is my money. Shut up and take it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:18:56 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: The 2013 3DS presents JRPG beastmode
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »
You missed Kingdom Hearts. Also, tell me when it gets Final Fantasy and the Persona series.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
You missed Kingdom Hearts

Check the not0in-2013 pile with Tales of the Abyss, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Theatrhythm (for a certain definition of RPG), Code of Princess, Denpa Men, Crimson Shroud, Heroes of Ruin...

Tell me when it gets Final Fantasy and the Persona series

Still nine months to go in the year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »
With the current state of the Japanese gaming market as well as the current financial state of Square-Enix, I wouldn't be that surprised if Final Fantasy XV were for the 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
Monster Hunter is a JRPG?
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »
Monster Hunter is a JRPG?
Its very Japanese and I definitely ultimately call it a Role-Playing Game in the traditional interpretation.  I guess technically you probably call it an ARPG.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »
I guess so. Maybe this is being factious, but I don't know if being Japanese and an RPG necessarily makes it a JRPG, lol. I know that sounds really dumb, but for me the term JRPG is associated with a very particular type of game (Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star etc). I guess I've never really considered which category I would put Monster Hunter in, but I've certainly never thought of it as a JRPG.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
I guess so. Maybe this is being factious, but I don't know if being Japanese and an RPG necessarily makes it a JRPG, lol. I know that sounds really dumb, but for me the term JRPG is associated with a very particular type of game (Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star etc). I guess I've never really considered which category I would put Monster Hunter in, but I've certainly never thought of it as a JRPG.
Where would you put Phantasy Star Online?  It has the Phantasy Star Lineage but at its core it has similar Gameplay to Monster Hunter.

I agree that a Traditional JRPG Monster Hunter Ain't so, Action RPG would be more appropriate.  In fact despite its clear Japaneseness I may even argue that its more inline with a Western Style RPG.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »
Still need my Final Fantasy Tactics fix. Their up to FFTA3. It'd be for the 3DS. They can easily call it FFTA3D. It should be obvious.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »
Still need my Final Fantasy Tactics fix. Their up to FFTA3. It'd be for the 3DS. They can easily call it FFTA3D. It should be obvious.
they should call it
Final Fantasy Tactics 3: Dangerous Dimensional Dynamics

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:36 AM »
I want a port and actual sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics on the 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 07:14:34 PM »
I can do without the port. I just need NEW. Didn't the PSP or Vita get a new one? Or something?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
I want a port and actual sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics on the 3DS.
it needs to be 3 and the subtitle consist of 3 words all starting with the letter D

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
I can do without the port. I just need NEW. Didn't the PSP or Vita get a new one? Or something?

PSP got Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, which is a remake of the original PS1 game (the remake is also on iOS).

Poke, it would need to be A3 since it would actually be the 4th Tactics game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »
I want hot Mecha on Mecha action! I wish the Front Mission series hasn't been retired in favour of more fucking Final Fantasy BS.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »
^Man, I'd love a new Front Mission game!

I just noticed that the Amazon exclusive DLC for SMT IV is a piece of armour - specifically a jacket that looks like its made out of Amazon cardboard shipping boxes:
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/15/img13/video-games/hqp/SMTIV-DLCAmazonFront.jpg

I didn't even know there was DLC for preordering, and now I'm curious to see what other retailers are offering.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 04:42:59 AM »
Add Bravely Default to DAT LIST. They announced it for both Europe and NA for this holiday season. Also, SMT IV is getting an European release, courtesy of NoE.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Unless they have changed it since the announcement at the Nintendo Direct, North America isn't getting Bravely Default until 2014.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
Unless they have changed it since the announcement at the Nintendo Direct, North America isn't getting Bravely Default until 2014.
Oh? Not until 2014? Then it'll be NoE who's getting my money for this one.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
It's far from reaching the greatness of the DS library, but the 3DS is finally starting to get somewhere.