Author Topic: Assassin's Cwiid? SNUH UH  (Read 21806 times)

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Assassin's Cwiid? SNUH UH
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 10:05:27 AM »
Oh PS3, you can't help but make more lives miserable.

Irate PlayStation 3 owners are reporting a host of technical problems with their copies of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed, writing of frame rate problems, screen tearing, geometry clipping and game-stopping lock ups on the official game forums.

Pages and pages of hilarity

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Assassin's Cwiid? SNUH UH
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »
Wasn't it originally supposed to be PS3-exclusive?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 06:33:49 PM »
Ty, that's pretty low of you.

That comic is classless and crass, and the artists should be ashamed of themselves.  What did she ever do to deserve that?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »
Yeah...I mean it's not like Ubisoft itself has been shamelessly using her herself as advertisement for the ga...Oh wait...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 06:45:38 PM »
So she deserves to get her character impeached for something UBISoft's PR department did?  Screw you, Bill.  How thoroughly disappointing.  And try using that line of thinking in a rape case.  "She was dressed like a whore, your Honor.  She was asking to get raped."

Hell I don't even like the game.  I don't even have a 360 or a PS3 to play it on.  But that was unbelievably low.  Seriously.  That was just absolutely unconscionable.

This is shameful.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
That comic is classless and crass, and the artists should be ashamed of themselves.  What did she ever do to deserve that?

Am I missing something? All I'm seeing, in terms of comics, in this thread is the Penny Arcade one...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 07:09:06 PM »
There was a comic strip on Something Awful that depicted her as a literal whore for good reviews.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2007, 07:36:42 PM »
Bill I am really disappointed in you. Yes she has been featured by the PR, but it was never tasteless and she definitely wasn't in any sexually provocative clothing or really acting that way from what I seen. In fact she looked professional, and was conservatively dressed. I fail to see how that merits such a vile comic. It is like when a woman is in the media more, especially one so high up on the ladder, it gives people the right to make such disgusting stuff about them. Basically by your defense, women should not be seen in any PR photographs, they should be hid in the corner because, if not they deserve to be attacked.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 07:49:52 PM »
*holds head in hands*

This isn't going to be pretty.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
*holds head in hands*

This isn't going to be pretty.

The powers that be have determined this to be a bullshit post. Either edit it and bring something to this thread or leave an empty post and go elsewhere.

Thank you,
Vigilante.  

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »
This could have all been avoided if the comic artists had taken the time to contextualize their satire.  Unfortunately, no mention of UBISoft is made anywhere, and they appear to made fun of the way she talks, as if their target was actually HER and not the supposed target which is Ubisoft's PR department.

But they failed to do so, and the product appears grandiosely hateful and unfathomably disrespectful to a person whose only crime appears to be having been the producer and creative lead on a game that maybe possibly didn't live up to some hype, and the strategy of the PR department of the company she works for.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »
Why am I getting **** for merely pointing out that the comic is merely symbolic of how Ubisoft treats her?  And of course there would be no point in displaying Ubisoft in the comic because that's how they've treated Assassin's Creed: not as an Ubisoft game but a game from an attractive woman...

I'm not saying it's right or that the comic represented it in a tasteful manner, but it's the damn, sad truth...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
You are getting crap for it, Bill, because you yourself did not make your context known and with your short quip appear to be defending it, which makes your friends re-evaluate their perception of you.

If the target was UBISoft, they should have made a comic about UBISoft.  Instead they tried to passively make fun of UBISoft by calling a woman who works for UBISoft a whore, making fun of her broken English, and hoping the reader would make the connection to UBISoft in some way.  They failed miserably as evidenced by the uproar it caused.  Ultimately, It doesn't matter what UBISoft's PR department is figuratively guilty of.  She does not deserve this for any reason and it is completely indefensible.  By the VERY SAME STROKE that made her a figurehead for a UBISoft game, she has again been made responsible for all of UBISoft's actions in this comic, making the artists guilty of the very same "damn, sad truth."

Imagine I made a comic in which Bill Aurion goes around molesting 6 year old boys because he likes them.  Having sex with them is the best thing in the world for Bill.  He gets caught but his rich parents relocate him to another university and he molests 3 year old boys.  Finally he gets caught by the public at large and his parents bring him home, to live out his life in his hometown in another country, never seeing justice in America.

I'm criticizing the way the Catholic Church shuffled child-molesting priests around in the U.S. before finally recalling them all back to the Vatican, before they could see American justice.  But instead of actually criticizing them, I'm just criticizing Bill, by calling him a pedophile and symbolically linking him to the Catholic Church (Bill's a Catholic, btw.  I should probably have pointed this out during the comic, but it would ruin the commentary).  Now I'm not saying it was the right way to do that criticism of the Catholic Church or that it was presented in a tasteful manner, but it is the damn sad truth that the Catholic Church relocated pedophiles.  

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »
You can pledge your eternal love for her next E3, Deg, or what ever the fuck game shows exist these days. I'm sure the line won't be too long.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2007, 06:03:17 AM »
The only damn sad truth here is that humans have a destructive nature that impels them to tear things down, probably more so than they raise things up. You give the public a target, and it doesn't matter if its Ken Kutaragi or Jade Raymond, or Britney Spears or Uwe Boll, people will be more than happy to degrade them any way they can.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2007, 07:31:46 AM »

The only damn sad truth here is that humans have a destructive nature that impels them to tear things down, probably more so than they raise things up. You give the public a target, and it doesn't matter if its Ken Kutaragi or Jade Raymond, or Britney Spears or Uwe Boll, people will be more than happy to degrade them any way they can.

Uwe Boll and Spears have done enough to degrade themselves though lol.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2007, 07:40:31 AM »
But I propose that it isn't about whether they deserve it or not, it's merely the fact that they're in the public's eyes that people feel they have the right to denigrate them.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2007, 07:57:28 AM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2007, 07:59:32 AM »
I said it was inevitable, not illegal.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2007, 08:08:08 AM »
That was directed towards Deg, not you.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2007, 08:14:10 AM »
I actually hunted down the comic to see what all the fuss was about and I regret having done so...

There's "lampooning" and then there's smearing and that was smearing.

I've watched Cap play the game for a while now and while it has a slow pace, it's still a neat game. The Wii could handle it, but it would take a massive graphical hit in the process.

However, that wouldn't detract from the fun, since the game's focus isn't its graphics but the game style where you sneak up on people, kill them and then escape afterwards.

It's like Prince of Persia meets GTA, but with a pretty neat storyline.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »

But I propose that it isn't about whether they deserve it or not, it's merely the fact that they're in the public's eyes that people feel they have the right to denigrate them.

True, personally in many ways I feel sorry for Brittany Spears, she is heading down a bad path QUICKLY. And the public isn't helping. I really would not be surprised to see her commit suicide.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2007, 09:51:41 AM »
Don't feel too badly for her; she makes $700K monthly for doing pretty much nothing at all.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2007, 10:42:22 AM »
EDIT: She was a producer, but I don't think there's anything anyone can say to justify a comic like that.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Uh, didn't she direct the game?

That's a bit more than "nothing at all"...

Actually not sure about that, she was a producer though. In fact she started her career as a programmer for Sony and then produced games for EA for quite awhile. She is obviously an experienced woman in this field.