Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1548647 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1275 on: June 06, 2010, 04:23:26 AM »
Alice in HeyThisPlaceLooksFamiliarLand

Did she just Crip Walk at the end!? Seriously?
This was the continuation of the original Disney movie? I wasn't feelin' it at all. It wasn't the worst movie ever, but I just have to ask why? I know it made a lot of money for Disney and all, but seriously, WHY?

Dude, just watched it today as well. And I feel so disappointed in it. I'm glad I didn't go to the theaters for it. I wanted to love it, I really did. But it just never clicked. The whole Crip Walk part was really... disturbing as well. Johnny Depp sold this movie. The music was really nice, thought it felt out of place for the film at times I felt. It's Alice in Wonderland, not Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1276 on: June 06, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »
I am not surprised, it seems stupid even just going by the trailers and commercials. Tim Burton is just not that good of a director in my opinion. He got lucky with Edward Scissorhands, but most of his movies suck (I thought The nightmare Before Christmas was vastly overrated, Charlie ad the Chocolate Factory was nowhere close to as good as the original movie, and so on).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 06, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »
And by saying Depp sold the movie I mean to the masses, not for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1278 on: June 06, 2010, 05:09:05 PM »
Well I just saw the Directors Cut of The Butterfly Effect. It is basically the same movie as the one in the theaters except for the ending.
It took a few times of watching the theater release to get all of the nuances of the film but it is very enjoyable.

5/5
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 07, 2010, 03:07:03 AM »
Year One Charming but only mildy funny. Two Stars for lack of historical accuracy.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:32 AM »
Year One Charming but only mildy funny. Two Stars for lack of historical accuracy.

I seen that, I would agree with the score.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 07, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »
Safe House (1998)

Starring Patrick Stewart and Kimberly Williams.

Seeing that Patrick had got himself knighted inspired me to look for a  movie that had him I have never seen yet. It lead me to Safe House.

Mace Sowell (Patrick) is an retired spy who lives in paranoia and early  stage Alzheimer's in a heavily wired up house, never going out without  a disguise. His daily routine is an all encompassing and designed to  keep him safe. It is played brilliantly and convincingly showing that  Patrick never phones in a performance no matter the job or budget.

His supporting cast while not the same calibre as Stewart are well  played. Stewart who easily could have destroyed them on screen is the  ever aware actor, helps improves everybody around him. Andi Travers  (Kimberly) plays her usual (Smoking hot) smart ass chick as seen in According to Jim but with class. It is Stewart who is rude and to the outside observer insane.

The directing is adequate along with the sound design. There aren't many sets, but the house where most of the movie takes place contains it's share of surprises. The odd prop are noticeably cheap.

The script isn't bad but could have gone in a really bad direction had another cast been selected. It contains several arcs where you are shown different points of view from other characters that doesn't move the plot forward, but are there to enhance the main characters. What is really surprising though is how deep, for a fairly low budget movie it looks at Alzheimer's. It could have played out as a straight comedy, but instead it plays out as a dark comedy with far better results instead of Pink Panther. Alzheimer's can be funny, but having lived with somebody with it for a short period of time myself, the real thing is nothing to laugh at.

One additional note, if you have some sort of revulsion to seeing Patrick naked with only shadows and a bit of soap bubbles covering him, yeah, well it's in here.

A gem of a movie, abet a small one polished into a winner with some good actors.

8/10
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1282 on: June 07, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
Captain Picard was knighted? NICE?

I think I already said this awhile back, but the wife and I saw "Alice in Wonderland" in theaters. I hated every second of it. I didn't agree with ONE IOTA of the art direction, and the entire movie was art direction. Always nice to see Ann Hathaway, but Helena Bonham Carter was obnoxious, the Knave of Hearts was out-of-place, and the Mad Hatter is not supposed to HAVE a backstory.

In fact, Wonderland is not supposed to BE cohesive. It is a dreamscape, not a PLACE. The old Disney cartoon version is still the definitive version, although it has WAY too much filler.

Anyway. I just put "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" on my Netflix queue. Seeing as I love the original anime, I'm excited to see how this one differs from it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 07, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »
Anyway. I just put "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" on my Netflix queue. Seeing as I love the original anime, I'm excited to see how this one differs from it.

It doesn't aside from a few minor plot points, at least in the first 13 episodes available in that set (yeah, I own it).  From a storytelling perspective, it puts the plot on warp drive and speeds through the first 30 episodes or so of the first series in the space of only 13.  As a result, I just don't find the story as compelling because it assumes you've seen the first series, as lovely as the visuals look.  From what I hear, the divergence from the first series doesn't start until episode 15 or so. 

Even still, this show has a lot to live up to, since I'm a big fan of the first series and am rather annoyed that Bones listened to all the whiners complaining that the first series wasn't a carbon copy of the manga (the first series caught up with the manga around episode 30 or so and had to make its own path from there on out).  This show is just...superfluous, but at least it isn't another moe show like 90% of the trash out of Japan these days (yeah, I'm just a little jaded about the direction anime's gone over the years).

EDIT:  Much like the Hellsing Ultimate series, this new series also has a problem being so slavishly loyal to the manga that it has these annoying "Manga-ism" moments where the characters just suddenly look all goofy with childish pencil sketching and whatnot.  Unlike the first series, which tended to use its comedic moments well, these moments in the new series just come off as "HEY,  LOOK AT US!  WE'RE LIKE THE MANGA!  YOU LOVE THE MANGA!  LOOK AT US, WE'RE LIKE THE MANGA!".  All the subtlety of an atomic bomb.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:40:29 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 08, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
I finally got a chance to watch
Fantastic 4 7.9/10

I had attempted to watch it, but it was always on TBS or FX which have these annoying DVD on TV stuff, which take a regular movie and make it 4 hours long making it unbearable to watch. Not to mention if I ever meet the hosts of that show, I will punch them in the face.

Fantastic 4 is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be, I think Reed Richards was miscast. Thing's look could have been better executed. I mainly watched this movie to see how Captain America did as the Human Torch, and I have to say that he's good enough at being a scene stealer that when he actually is the star he may command some presence which is a good thing. Overall the movie was pretty good, but not GREAT. I give it nearly an 8, but not quite.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 13, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
Shutter Island 8.3/10 It was pretty well made, but it was too predictable. Someone told me that when they saw it that it was nothing like the previews. It was exactly what I thought was going to happen in the movie based off of the previews...still well made.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:04:56 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1286 on: June 13, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
Be Kind, Rewind: Pretty good/10

Even though it's only an hour and a half long, it feels like a lot could've been cut. I thought Jack Black was miscast, maybe because he was the only white guy in the movie, and he didn't have a Jersey accent, and his conspiracy theory thing just kind of disappeared after a half hour.

But the movie's core was good, the remakes were funny, and I liked the ending.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 14, 2010, 02:56:07 AM »
Karate Kid 9.5/10

I loved it and not because I'm a kung fu guy. It was a great retailing of an old story. That little boy had me going, and it was a surprising serious role out of Jacky Chan. The hits looked hard and brutal to, especialy since it was mostly kids getting beat up.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 14, 2010, 03:52:18 AM »
A-Team.

so f**king awesome/10

I went in with really low expectations and pretty much blown away at just how good the movie turned out.  The acting is what really wins in this film, which Rampage Jackson does a surprisingly good job.  The action is way, way over the top and captures the spirit of 80's action films very well.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 17, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »

It doesn't aside from a few minor plot points, at least in the first 13 episodes available in that set (yeah, I own it).  From a storytelling perspective, it puts the plot on warp drive and speeds through the first 30 episodes or so of the first series in the space of only 13.  As a result, I just don't find the story as compelling because it assumes you've seen the first series, as lovely as the visuals look.  From what I hear, the divergence from the first series doesn't start until episode 15 or so.

It was some kind of crazy cross between drudging and drag racing getting through the recap, and now that the new stuff is here, I hate it.  To be fair, I only hate the new characters from Xing (some kind of fantasy cross of China [pandas] and Japan [ninjas]).  It feels like "You got your Ranma in my FMA!"  "You got your FMA in my Ranma!" only when you go to taste it you retch and change the channel.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: June 17, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
Get Him to the Greek: 7/10

It wasn't as funny as I had hoped, and some parts of the movie felt a little slow and went without laughs or were funny enough to make me chuckle, then again there were some really HUGE laughs scattered around, and just enough to give this movie an above average rating.

I should deduct a point for showing male ass (and I won't spoil which character for you). I'm not a homophobe and male nudity in comedies is usually pretty funny (Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story) as long as its not overdone (Bruno), but this one was just gross and not very funny.

For those that don't know this is a spin-off of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" but you won't be missing anything from GHttG if you miss the other one, save for one joke that refers to a character from the other movie. Fair warning though, the Russel B. might be a little hard to understand from time to time if you're not good with accents.

I'd love to watch this movie again with a "Jeffrey" though.. it'd be twice as funny I bet.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1291 on: June 17, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
Is there any female rackage to balance out the dude-butt?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 20, 2010, 03:37:50 AM »
Toy Story 3 - 10 out of a freakin 10!

Man toy world is scary and dark in my opinion. You live to get tossed out! I have never been so emotionaly invested in ANY type of media. There was one scene that had my fiance embarrased to be next to me. I wasn't making noises or anything but I just couldn't help but cry the way I did! I mean I really felt like crying like the world was going to end. Sorry to over hype it for the rest of you. MAN I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT AGAIN!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 20, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »
Toy Story 3 - 10 out of a freakin 10!

Man toy world is scary and dark in my opinion. You live to get tossed out! I have never been so emotionaly invested in ANY type of media. There was one scene that had my fiance embarrased to be next to me. I wasn't making noises or anything but I just couldn't help but cry the way I did! I mean I really felt like crying like the world was going to end. Sorry to over hype it for the rest of you. MAN I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT AGAIN!

I really loved the movie too.

It would have been awesome if they had Optimus Prime Transformers Toy voiced by Peter Cullen in the movie.

Here is my review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ISWEeCx57E

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 20, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »
The Secret of Kells - 8.9/10

The visuals in this movie were amazing, sort of Samurai Jack but done with more finesse, color, and dimension. The story was also top-notch and based on a true story about the writing of the 'Book of Kells'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Kells

I was disappointed in the ending, but after finding out the true story part I understand, but I wish the writer or director would have taken the liberty of having Brendan come back with the book and defeating the army that destroyed Kells , if they had done that, I would give this a 10/10.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
Toy Story 3 10/10

It's Pixar I don't expect any less.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 21, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »
one day i had to do a report on the book of kells...i had to go look at this

i had to be watched and wear gloves

http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/illuman/pre9_07.html

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
Just fyi the movie is not religiously motivated, I should have put that in 1st post.
one day i had to do a report on the book of kells...i had to go look at this

i had to be watched and wear gloves

http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/illuman/pre9_07.html

I would love to see something like that...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1298 on: June 23, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
Toy Story 3

Short cartoon before the movie: Crap
Movie itself: 11/10

Has The Incredibles been uprooted as my favorite Pixar movie? Yes. One of the key reasons? Toy Story 3 has a Totoro in it.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 25, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
Karate Kid (2010) 8/10

A lot more enjoyable than i thought it would be, and Jaden Smith was pretty decent in it for the most part. Jackie Chan had a surprising emotional scene, albeit feeling a little out of place as there was no precursor for it.

I don't remember much of the any of the Karate Kid movies to be honest, but there was one part that I thought they'd do the "wax on, wax off" gag and didn't. There was also a moment where I was hoping for a "sweep the leg!" but it didn't happen either. Damn. They probably should have paid those tributes considering they did borrow a few other things from the series..

I was about to be dissapointed when the ending looked like it would copy the same crane-stance kick as the original, but to my surprise the finishing move was completely unexpected and simply awesome to see!

And just to nitpick, the movie should get deduced a few points for not actually having any karate in it :P
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.