Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537707 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #500 on: October 21, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
Transformers 2
(brain off) - 8.5/10
(brain on) - 4.5/10

IF you take this movie for what it was, make a quite a few assumption about whats going on and ignore some obviously bad cuts, this movie is a great action flick with some bad-ass fighting scenes between robots and funny dialog from both the robots and humans. Reasons you need to shut off the brain and just enjoy it: (*spoilers*)Right from the beginning in the first 2minutes you have no idea what the hell is going on because there are some overcomplicated robot transformations going on and things are moving too fast to really see anything. Lots of things that happen in the movie leave it up to you to assume this or assume that because they sure didn't show it(bad cuts); like one scene where Shia & Co. are dropped through a roof in a car, a robot lands looking at them in the car but when he(the robot) stands up Megan and the other guy are upstairs. how did they get up there so quickly. There is also a scene where a hot girl is a Decepticon and seduces Shia but apparently her skin is soft even though it's made of cold hard steel. Or when Shia is standing on Optimus' chest, who suddenly jumps to his feet but Shia is safely on the ground next to him, I assume he jumped off, but it didn't look like he had time. There are plenty of things (some big, mostly small) & I could probably go on about them but I was trying to just enjoy the movie, which I did.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 21, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »
BlackNMild and I agree on Transformers 2? Amazing.

Also the canon comics that came out add quite a bit to the experience IMO. Explains a lot of the things that appears to have been cut. Though I really enjoyed the movie before I even read them, the comics added more to it though.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #502 on: October 21, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
Transformers 2
(brain off) - 8.5/10
(brain on) - 4.5/10

IF you take this movie for what it was, make a quite a few assumption about whats going on and ignore some obviously bad cuts, this movie is a great action flick with some bad-ass fighting scenes between robots and funny dialog from both the robots and humans. Reasons you need to shut off the brain and just enjoy it: (*spoilers*)Right from the beginning in the first 2minutes you have no idea what the hell is going on because there are some overcomplicated robot transformations going on and things are moving too fast to really see anything. Lots of things that happen in the movie leave it up to you to assume this or assume that because they sure didn't show it(bad cuts); like one scene where Shia & Co. are dropped through a roof in a car, a robot lands looking at them in the car but when he(the robot) stands up Megan and the other guy are upstairs. how did they get up there so quickly. There is also a scene where a hot girl is a Decepticon and seduces Shia but apparently her skin is soft even though it's made of cold hard steel. Or when Shia is standing on Optimus' chest, who suddenly jumps to his feet but Shia is safely on the ground next to him, I assume he jumped off, but it didn't look like he had time. There are plenty of things (some big, mostly small) & I could probably go on about them but I was trying to just enjoy the movie, which I did.

Repeat after me. "It's just a show, I should really just relax."
You're overthinking a summer action movie
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 21, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
Transformers 2
(brain off) - 8.5/10
(brain on) - 4.5/10

Repeat after me. "It's just a show, I should really just relax."
You're overthinking a summer action movie

That's why I gave it 2 ratings. There were obvious flaws that me & my girl would point out while the movie was playing. If you are the type to nit pick you are not gonna enjoy the movie. The robot transformations are WAY TOO COMPLICATED for something I used to be able to do relatively easy with the transformer toys. Half the time you can't even tell what is going on. Transforming is one of the cool things about the transformers and I can't see how they are doing it. There are bad edits where people seemingly teleport and for a $100million movie I expect better editing. Not to mention that it just seemed a little long, and looking at the Netflix envelope, it's a 2hr 27min movie, it coulda been about 30 minutes shorter. IF you ignore all that, it's a very enjoyable even if a little on the long side.

(spoiler)There are 3 other obvious things I just remembered. One is when The Fallen knew that the boy absorbed the info from the rock even though no one(outside of the audience) knew that yet. The other is when Megan somehow got on a plane with a living talking robot in her toolbox and then showed up at Shia's dorm without him ever telling her what dorm he was in or what room number was his. We just have to assumed he would tell her all that info even though he wasn't expecting her to ever show up at the campus and he hadn't even talked to her since he moved in. Then there was when they teleported to Egypt and Shia hurt his hand(I know he broke his hand in real life) but somehow had a roll of gauze to wrap his hand in*that is over thinking a summer action movie*

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 21, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »
this was a movie where "whats my motivation?" was never even thought about. I do agree, alot of it was probably terrible editing. Like all those explosions and **** didn't make any noise. Its like a deaf person did the sound.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 21, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »
this was a movie where "whats my motivation?" was never even thought about. I do agree, alot of it was probably terrible editing. Like all those explosions and **** didn't make any noise. Its like a deaf person did the sound.

Michael Bay's style is to make it appear action is at ground level most of the time like you are right there, after a big explosion you are going to have trouble hearing. It is his style, you can like it or not, personally I like it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 21, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
Only read if you've already seen the movie or have no intention of watching it and are incapable of turning your brainoff to do so.

Transformers 2 FAQ

This goes through the entire movie and makes it very obvious why you have to overlook alot to enjoy this movie for what it is. Funny to read though.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 21, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
Only read if you've already seen the movie or have no intention of watching it and are incapable of turning your brainoff to do so.

Transformers 2 FAQ

This goes through the entire movie and makes it very obvious why you have to overlook alot to enjoy this movie for what it is. Funny to read though.

The thought of it hurts my head. Is it as fun to read as the "10 things you learn from watching 'Wanted'" on IMDB?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 21, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »

Transformers 2 FAQ

The comic explains things perfectly not to mention most of that stuff could be figured out without much thought. But it is cool to hate Transformers 2 so that is fine.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 21, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
see, i liked the last transformers and other Michael Bay movies, its just this one was incoherent. I don't need to turn my brain off. I liked the first one even..this one just didn't have anything to make me care

hahaha jesus christ reading that faq, im glad i didnt watch the rest of the movie
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:40:17 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 21, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »
I don't hate TF2, I actually liked it. But there are so many things in that movie to laugh at.... so bad it's good, and funny. I just watched it for the second time this afternoon.

Here is a excerpt from the FAQ

If you had to pick a single scene that exemplifies Michael Bay's utter disdain for story and continuity, what would it be?
When five Decepticons sink to the bottom of the ocean to retrieve Megatron's corpse. A submarine tracks five "subjects" going down, and when they get there, one of the Decepticons is killed to give parts to Megatron. 5 -1 +1 = 5, right? No, because the sub somehow tracks "six" subjects coming up. Not only is this very basic math, this is the simplest of script errors. It could not possibly have been more than one page apart in the script. And yet  Michael Bay either didn't care to notice or didn't give a ****. "Math? Math is for pussies. My movies are about **** blowing up, man."

All kinds of stuff like that throughout the movie. Just read the faq, it points out alot of it, but misses some that I pointed out myself.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 21, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
Never any flaws in movies. That seems like a real nitpick right there perhaps one of the things I disdain the most when people criticize movies. Virtually every movie out there has inconsistencies multiple ones at that. It is funny but honestly a pretty lame inconsistency to pick out.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:44:10 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »
but there are lots of them, like they had re-written it so many times that some things just slipped and editing got so long, they just said "**** it" at some point.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 22, 2009, 01:41:52 AM »
yeah, i would rather watch batman and robin than watch transformers 2. Its at the same level of writing as Ulli Lommel's Zombie Nation

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #514 on: October 22, 2009, 01:55:24 PM »
Com'on, GP, that's a VERY BASIC error that should've been caught many many times during drafting. I agree that the the movie is a "turn your brain off and have fun" kind of feature, but that one really stuck out to me.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:48 PM »
I didn't notice any of these flaws because stuff was moving so far and so quickly and so loudly it hurt to look at the screen by the end.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 23, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »
Com'on, GP, that's a VERY BASIC error that should've been caught many many times during drafting. I agree that the the movie is a "turn your brain off and have fun" kind of feature, but that one really stuck out to me.

Maybe they were followed  by a curious whale. There, end of OMG so HUGE plot discrepancy. Not to mention if the error was made it was because the doctor robot was released by Ravage to repair megatron. Though he was swallowed again, who knows if that was in the original script or edits, it could have been a later addition and the dialogue wasn't changed, maybe the Doctor robot being swallowed was added after filming. Seriously that is one of the lamest nitpicks I've heard in quite sometime.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:47:49 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 23, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »
Why are you such the TF2 defender?

I stated it as a nit pick and an example of what was in the nitpicking summary. So who are you arguing with?
No one expects all movies to be perfect, we are just having fun pointing out flaws in this one.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #518 on: October 23, 2009, 07:55:57 PM »

I stated it as a nit pick and an example of what was in the nitpicking summary. So who are you arguing with?
No one expects all movies to be perfect, we are just having fun pointing out flaws in this one.

Of which there are many. ;-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 23, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »

Because some are completely silly. It is snobbish and I can't stand it when people pick apart extremely minor things in movies and it has gotten far worse with the internet. The fun is sapped out of movies when people are so nitpicky and snobbish, whether it is about CGI, popcorn flicks, or other things they deem to be beneath them. Makes me wonder if there are any people left that go to a movie to have a good time, not nitpick how many robots are mentioned as coming out of the water.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:12:54 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 23, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »
Here is something I wrote last summer that pretty much sums up how I feel on this topic.

SUNDAY, JUNE 1, 2008

Implausibility vs. Impossibility in the Movies
Amy and I went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last night. It was good, but not great. I never thought I'd say this about an Indiana Jones movie, but there were some parts of it that were downright slow. I kept saying to myself, "OK, the big action sequence that you've been waiting for is right around the corner," but that corner never arrived. I thought the movie was cool from the standpoint of continuing (and tying up some loose ends about) the Indiana Jones story, but from the standpoint of an action movie I've seen much better. Heck, people pan the bejeezus out of Temple of Doom, but I think it blows away Crystal Skull despite its fair share of near-impossible exploits on the part of Dr. Jones.

Which brings me to the point of this entry. It occurred to me last night that in order for me to fully enjoy any reality-based action movie (and by "reality-based" I mean something set on earth, with humans being subject to earthly physics...no superhero movies or sci-fi stuff), I require the actions performed by characters to be implausible at the most. Impossible just doesn't cut it.

Temple of Doom has a great illustration of my theory. There's a point early in the movie when Indy and Short Round get ejected out of a mountain while riding in a dinghy, and survive a fall down a several-hundred-foot waterfall to the lake below. What makes this ridiculous is that no human could ever survive such a plunge. Yes, I realize that I'm watching an Indiana Jones movie, but I simply cannot suspend my disbelief in the face of such an absolutely impossible feat. I mean, it's impossible. IMPOSSIBLE. It would be like having a character fall off of a 100-storey building, and then get up and dust himself off hardly the worse for wear. You never see that because it'd be ridiculous, right? But somehow when a character's falling into water, it's suddenly possible. Amazing.

My biggest issue with Crystal Skull is that it contains not just one, but several of these moments. Stuff that makes you groan and say, "As if!". It's almost as if the screenwriters read back the scene and then say to themselves, "That's physically impossible, but our audience won't care! They just want to be entertained!" Well guess what guys, some of us actually like some cleverness injected into the stunts we see on celluloid. I'll suspend my disbelief if you extend your imagination, OK? Deal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:07:12 PM by NWR_Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 23, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
Yeah don't even remind me about the part where he hid in a refrigerator to protect himself from a nuclear blast! I mean, what the ****? Really...REALLLY>!?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 23, 2009, 09:43:01 PM »
I really think that movie producers put those kind of things into the movies on purpose. they want to create a moment that is gonna make someone say "OMG blah blah blah part was so ridiculous. who would believe that!!?" and thats gonna mke someone who probably had no real intention of seeing the movie say "Well that scene sounds so crazy, now I gotta go see it!"

Thats how it works for me atleast. If someone is talking about it and having fun nit picking it to death, it must be so bad that it's actually good. It's like a easter egg hunt for flaws and that in itself can make a mediocre movie more entertaining.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 23, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
Yeah don't even remind me about the part where he hid in a refrigerator to protect himself from a nuclear blast! I mean, what the ****? Really...REALLLY>!?

EXACTLY.  I'm sorry, I'm not a movie nitpicker, but that **** is RIDICULOUS.  I mean seriously, tell me again how the refrigerator stayed closed as it was falling out of the sky?  For crying out loud.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »
a refrigerator would be sturdy enough to survive a nuclear blast, he might be roast like a duck depending on how close he was to the blast though. If he was in 300 ft of the blast he would be fucked.