Community Forums > Movies & TV

Star Trek

<< < (2/31) > >>

broodwars:

--- Quote from: UncleBob on May 23, 2019, 08:16:17 PM ---Your timelines are a bit mixed up.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps. Honestly, I only know the Axanar story from bits and pieces. It wasn't something I really followed, though apparently they're still making the damn thing...somehow. I mainly know of it from the outcry over the revised fan guidelines that happened on Youtube a few years back, guidelines that seem to make it impossible to tell a decent story (given the IIRC 10-15 minute running time limit).

Anyway, like I said I was mainly just surprised to see an Enterprise fan film pop up in my feed this morning, as one of the few fans of Enterprise.

Adrock:
Forever ago, when I was a freshman in college, I read an essay about how authorities in some city discouraged vandalism. They knew certain young people were spending days spray painting huge murals but waited until the individuals finished the project before having someone paint over it. The young people weren’t charged or anything. Their “punishment” was having their art which they spent days on unceremoniously covered in plain white paint.

Point being, I can see Paramount or X company deterring unauthorized use of its IP by waiting until the fan film(s) is finished (or nearly finished) before dropping the cease and desist hammer. It may be shitty, but it’s kind of a good strategy. Occupy the creators of the fan film for years so they’re busy and can’t regroup to try again then kill it late in the game which may deter other people from trying in the future.

Then again, maybe these companies should pull a (specific) Sega. Christian Whitehead’s engine used for a fan game and porting old Sonic games to mobile was so good Sega was just like, “Fine, make us a real one.” And now, we have Sonic Mania.

UncleBob:
Before you go making snide attacks regarding a subject, it might be useful to read up a bit on it first.

It seems, really, regardless of the guidelines in writing , Paramount's stance is about the same.  They've allowed (as in, not stopped, not that they've officially given their blessing) many other works to go forward that violate many of the guidelines they put in place.

I don't think the quality of Peters' work had anything to do with how all of that went down.

ShyGuy:
He looks so old... :(

Adrock:

--- Quote from: ShyGuy on May 23, 2019, 09:23:11 PM ---He looks so old... :(

--- End quote ---

BNM isn’t clicking into this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version