Author Topic: Episode 708: Can't Out-Edge Mario  (Read 3878 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 708: Can't Out-Edge Mario
« on: February 07, 2021, 11:01:30 AM »

Try, and he might pop a metal cap in yo' ass.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/56179/episode-708-cant-out-edge-mario

"Get it James? Metal cap?"
- Guillaume Veillete, 2021

So Gui started the article, and I guess I'll leave it; it's free content. My long-running adventure in writing as little as possible in this article is assisted by his efforts, serious or not.

He's referencing Sonic, if you're curious. That's our email topic for the week, simplified the question is "Why is Mario depicted so consistently whereas Sonic is... erratic?" Listener Mail should be sent to our inbox, as should suggestions for our next RetroActive. We're taking themes or games, but it is worth noting that we've been eyeing the anniversary of the 3DS release for inspiration.

I'm giving you the rundown of the show out of order, in order to preserve the relationship to the reference of edge-lord Mario. We actually started the show with New Business, but I trust my audience to understand non-sequential storytelling. Even so, I will start the New Business rundown from the beginning.

Gui has been playing Even the Ocean, a narrative platformer, and Cyber Shadow, a ninja-focused action platformer published but not developed by Yacht Club Games. James has started Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and Greg has just about finished it. They talk about how making a Musou game in Breath of the Wild world differed from making one for Zelda more-broadly, and how it might impact perception of Breath of the Wild 2. Jon has picked up Gui's "old PC games on Switch" mantle with Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, a remake of the classic RPG.

If you're looking for our lists from last week, they're now posted in the comments of last week's article.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Papasmurff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 708: Can't Out-Edge Mario
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:18:02 PM »
If you’re looking for a theme for the next Retroactive that celebrates the 10th anniversary of the 3DS, how about 3DS launch games? Or if that‘s foo limiting, 3DS games from 2011. It could be fun to look back at that launch window.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 01:02:06 PM »
I had a retail copy of Baldur's Gate 2 back in the day, the manual was a small book that explained all the rules. I remember reading that a LOT trying to understand it.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 02:18:22 PM »
My recommendation for the RetroActive is Ghost Recon:Shadow Wars.  It was an oddly great 3DS launch title, and a genre I don't recall hearing about much outside of Fire Emblem from the podcast.

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
I am greatly reminded of the conversation we had around Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Nintendo's transformation of control on their "golden goose". It's really become something that has fascinated me. Great question, and comparison, GX!
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com