Poll

Which of these Switch titles will get the Nintendo Selects treatment?

Astral Chain
0 (0%)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
1 (2%)
Arms
6 (12%)
Kirby Star Allies
4 (8%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3 (6%)
Snipperclips Plus
3 (6%)
Fitness Boxing
0 (0%)
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
0 (0%)
Paper Mario: The Origami King
0 (0%)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
0 (0%)
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
0 (0%)
I Select them All!
0 (0%)
Super Mario Odyssey
4 (8%)
Super Mario Party
2 (4%)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
1 (2%)
None! There will be no Nintendo Selects on Switch
2 (4%)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
3 (6%)
Super Mario Maker 2
0 (0%)
Mario Tennis Aces
1 (2%)
Yoshi's Crafted World
2 (4%)
Luigi's Mansion 3
1 (2%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
2 (4%)
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
3 (6%)
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
3 (6%)
Splatoon 2
2 (4%)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2 (4%)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
1 (2%)
1-2-Switch
4 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Happy Price Selection: Coming to Switch? When? What Games? How Much?  (Read 38684 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Since 2011 Nintendo has used the Nintendo Selects label to promote their back catalog and discount older games.

1. When will Nintendo release Nintendo Selects versions of Switch games?

Looking back at the past three systems we can see it occurs about 3-5 years after the launch of the console.
  • Wii: console launched November 2006, first batch of Nintendo Selects released May 2011 (4.5 years later)
  • 3DS: console launched February 2011, first batch of Nintendo Selects released March 2016 (5 years later)
  • Wii U: console launched November 2012, first batch of Nintendo Selects released March 2016 (3.5 years later)
  • Switch: console launched March 2017 (4 years ago), first batch of Nintendo Selects releases ??? ?

2. How much will Nintendo Switch games cost on Switch?
These games have been at the Happy Price of $20 (USD) on recent systems, but will that remain when we get some Switch Selects?

3. Which games will become Nintendo Switch Selects?
Most importantly of course is the games that will get included in this promotion. The Selects are usually Nintendo published games that are at least a few years old. I thought about putting in lists of the Nintendo Selects titles for the recent systems, but there were just too many. Instead check out the Wikipedia page that appears to have them all listed. Full List of Nintendo Selects Titles. Then vote for which games you think will get included on Switch in the above poll. 8) For bragging rights you may want to reply with your predictions for the first batch. If there are any games I omitted in the poll, please add them below.

All information above is the the US so please share any differences for other regions.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Price Selection: Coming to Switch? When? What Games? How Much?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 07:38:03 PM »
I have cast a total of 69 votes so unfortunately I cannot in good conscience vote on any more polls.

To answer the questions: Yes. A non-committal “when sales dip” but possibly when the rumored Switch Pro releases because the OG Switch could see a price cut as well. Probably most games. $29.99.

The original Player’s Choice line were games that reached over one million units sold. That isn’t especially difficult for Nintendo these days. What’s the criteria for Nintendo Selects? If it’s a broader “sold a bunch”, that’s most of those games even Astral Chain which I thought was going to bomb.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 08:32:43 PM »
Only the Wii U ports  :o

Looking at the existing list there's no RPGs except Dream Team, so I would guess they like to sell those at full price or want to keep selects with a broad appeal. Excluding your Xenoblades and Fire Emblems.

I expect them to start with the games that were lukewarm critically but sold decently. Star Allies feels like a shoe in, even though historically the series has only ever been a select once with Triple Deluxe. Maybe something like Let's Go Pikachu, kind of weird that Pokepark 1 is the only Pokémon select so far. 1-2 Switch and Arms also sound like what you can expect for a first round.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:59:34 PM »
A lot of this stuff is either too recent or still selling too well to make the cut anytime soon. Apart from what's already been mentioned, Luigi's Mansion 3 seems like a good bet. Link's Awakening probably should have been $30 at launch, but certainly now. I doubt we'd see games they intend to sell full priced sequels to in the near future, which rules out Breath of the Wild and probably Splatoon 2.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »
Not to be cynical, but presently I don't expect to see permanent price drops (yet). I think the time-limited Voucher programme, plus time-limited releases (3D All-Stars etc.), plus occasional time-limited 30% eShop price cuts are teaching Nintendo there's more value in keeping prices high and discounting them during controlled time frames.

If they do roll out a new line of Selects, I'm thinking they'll be $40 instead of $30, and it'll be a combination of opportunity to reprint and pumping up sales of less successful releases. TOPHAT is probably right about ARMS, Kirby, and 1-2 Switch.

DKC:TF, New Mario U, Pikmin 3, and Mario Party 10 were part of the Selects line previously, but I don't see them discounting Super Mario Party and Mario U this time. Maybe DK and Pikmin though, especially if those need reprints.