Author Topic: FIX your game cube READ DISK ERROR problem (Repair Guide Inside Post)  (Read 36213 times)

Offline Backslider

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The 11 steps below will show you how to fix a common disk read error.
The problem is caused by heavy usage of popping disks in and out of
the system, and wearing down the disk spindle. Dropping the system
also adds to the wear and tear, I have kids I should know.

Game Cube "No disk error" Repair guide:

Step 1.
Open the lid to your game cube.

Step 2.
Very carefully remove the center part (disk spindle) that the game disk attaches to.
This is the part that actaully spins the disk. It is fit snugly to
the motor shaft but is NOT attached by any screws/mounting/etc...

Step 3.
Place a disk on the part you just removed (disk spindle). Now examine it closely
by pushing on the disk.

If the disk is tilted to one side, this is your problem.

If the disk is sitting tight and does NOT appear to be at an angle,
then re-attach it to the shaft, this repair guide will not help you.

Step 4.
(The problem is the disk is not sitting level. One of the clips has
broken inside the disk spindle. Because the disk is not level on one
side, the game cube can not read the disk correctly.)

Remove the disk by pressing the center button.
Now flip over the spindle so that the button is facing down.
There are three clips inside that you can see holding the center
of the spindle in place. Here is where it is broken.

Step 5.
Carefuly unsnap the clips, the broken one may fall off, but dont worry.
There is also a spring inside that you will not want to lose, so be careful.

Step 6.
With the spindle seperated into 3 parts (Outer spindle, inner spindle and spring)

Notice where the 3 small clips are/where on the backside of the inner spindle.

Examine the front side of the inner spindle, you will see there are 3 wings.
These wings work with the ball berrings to hold the disk in place.

Step 7.
Find a good place on the bottom side of the inner spindle to glue/epoxy with out
risking getting glue/epoxy on the wings. (The outter most portion is a good place.)

Setp 8.
Place very small amounts of glue/epoxy on the inner spindle, and re-attach it to the
outer spindle (It will twist back on.)

Step 9.
Clamp the two parts together tightly so they cannot slip apart.

Step 10.
Let the glue/epoxy harden.

Step 11.
Re-attach the spindle assembly to the drive shaft.

Your repair is complete. And it will be as reliable as your glue/epoxy.

UPDATED 9/3/03
I hope this helps people use the guide (see first post) better.

-The DISK SPINDLE or CD SPINDLE is the part that your CD's attach to. After you open the top of the Game Cube (Open the top = as if you were going to load a game), you will see the CD SPINDLE. Click for image The CD SPINDLE consists of a two part assembly, an OUTER SPINDLE (Larger, outer portion) and INNER SPINDLE (smaller inside portion). The INNER SPINDLE is attached to the OUTER SPINDLE by 3 small clips that TWIST to lock the assembly together, these twist & lock clips are what cause the CD READ ERROR, because when one breaks it causes the disk to spin at an angle.

-WHAT DO I GLUE? Only gule the INNER SPINDLE to the OUTER SPINDLE, and not much glue is needed. This will replace the need for the 3 TWIST & LOCK clips that hold the 2 part CD SPINDLE together. By doing this you will make the CD spin level again so it can be read by the CD drive.

**IF YOU DO NOT SEE ANYTHING BROKEN DO NOT GULE ANYTHING, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

-Once you have seperated the INNER and OUTER SPINDLE the breakage shoudle be obvious. The 3 TWIST & LOCK clips are very filmsy and you will wonder "HOW was that supposed to be reliable?", each clips is only about the size of a large ant, or this comma ,

-Fast acting epoxy is suggested, super glue likes to "Bleed"

-You will need tweezers to help you unlock the TWIST & LOCK clips

-READ EVERY THING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

Have fun,
Backslider

Offline RockmanX

• View Profile
RE:FIX your game cube READ DISK ERROR problem (Repair Guide Inside Post)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 12:49:37 PM »
I once had that problem, I wonder if that could have fixed it.  Sounds like a useful guide for someone not willing to send there GCN in.  Although it probably voids your warranty.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: FIX your game cube READ DISK ERROR problem (Repair Guide Inside Post)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 02:24:06 PM »
I'm DEFINITELY trying this.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Backslider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 02:12:06 AM »
I hope this helps others save some $$$, I was all ready to go buy a new GC when I decided to see if I could save my self $159 and fix it my self.

I'm just passing on the good fortune. I think it would only void your warrenty if you did a real botched job on it. You don't have to open the case of the cube you only need to fip open the lid, and the part you take out easily slips back into place.

Good luck.

Backslider

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 05:22:19 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of this being done.
Also I'm confused as to what "the center part" refers to... Can anyone be a bit more specific? Or provide detailed images?
I just came home with F-Zero GX and I sure would like to play it... =\

Offline Backslider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 07:26:26 AM »
The center part, where you attach the actualy disk. It has 3 metal ball berrings, you push the middle of this to eject the disk. Heres the best I could do for an image.Click here for image

Offline Wayfarer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 03:47:13 PM »
How exactly do I flip the lid? Where do I start at? I don't want to take a risk and break it. Would I have to use a tool to flip it or just my hands?  

Offline phreak97

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 12:26:35 AM »
erm.. try pushing eject? im not sure but thats normally how you open the lid.. i did do it once by throwing a controller at it but i dont recommend you try that.. also, wouldnt glue stop the moving parts from moving? correct me if im wrong.. but i doubt they would be designed to move if they didnt have to.. isnt there a better way to repair it? and wont the glue put weight on one side more than the other? im sure that cant be good for the motor..

Offline Backslider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 03:59:09 AM »
1st I never said to glue any moving parts. Once you take out the CD spindle you should be able to see where the part is broken. You can see it best from the bottom, so once you have taken out the CD spindle, and you are holding the CD spindle in you hand, flip the part over in your hand and look at the bottom of it. There are three small clips that hold the two pieces of the CD spindle together, this is where you need to use the guide to fix the problem.

How can I explain it any better?

Offline Backslider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 04:23:30 AM »
I hope this helps people use the guide (see first post) better.

-The DISK SPINDLE or CD SPINDLE is the part that your CD's attach to. After you open the top of the Game Cube (Open the top = as if you were going to load a game), you will see the CD SPINDLE. Click for image The CD SPINDLE consists of a two part assembly, an OUTER SPINDLE (Larger, outer portion) and INNER SPINDLE (smaller inside portion). The INNER SPINDLE is attached to the OUTER SPINDLE by 3 small clips that TWIST to lock the assembly together, these twist & lock clips are what cause the CD READ ERROR, because when one breaks it causes the disk to spin at an angle.

-WHAT DO I GLUE? Only gule the INNER SPINDLE to the OUTER SPINDLE, and not much glue is needed. This will replace the need for the 3 TWIST & LOCK clips that hold the 2 part CD SPINDLE together. By doing this you will make the CD spin level again so it can be read by the CD drive.

**IF YOU DO NOT SEE ANYTHING BROKEN DO NOT GULE ANYTHING, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

-Once you have seperated the INNER and OUTER SPINDLE the breakage shoudle be obvious. The 3 TWIST & LOCK clips are very filmsy and you will wonder "HOW was that supposed to be reliable?", each clips is only about the size of a large ant, or this comma ,

-Fast acting epoxy is suggested, super glue likes to "Bleed"

-You will need tweezers to help you unlock the TWIST & LOCK clips

-READ EVERY THING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

Offline grap3fruitman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 01:00:52 PM »
Ok, I was confused by the inner and outer spindles. Thanks for clearing that up.
Now could you explain how we're supposed to remove them?

Offline misternull

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2003, 02:08:52 PM »
ok, here's where i am.  i have three main peices:
1. the "cd-pop" button that attaches to the shaft
2. top peice of housing that button slides into
3. bottem peice of housing

i've also got 3 ball bearings, and three little wings.  i saw your in picture arrows pointing to what looked like the wings.  was it pointing to those, or something underneath them?  i can't get the damn thing back on, and i'm wondering if what i call the wings slide and lock, or if it's some part i already broke off.
even a broken clock is right atleast two times a day.
http://www.spunge.org/~mrnull

Offline Backslider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2003, 03:26:51 AM »
OK

1st sorry about that part you broke grap3fruit, be careful bro.

2nd:

"i can't get the damn thing back on, and i'm wondering if what i call the wings slide and lock, or if it's some part i already broke off."

There are a set of wings, 3 of them, do not mess with those. What is broken is directly underneath the wings, they are comma shaped clips, there are also 3 of them. These clips attach the two parts you have together. (This would be what you explained as part #2, you need to look at the part with the pop button facing down.)

Also YES you may have broken them off, they are very cheap and crappy. If you can supply me with pictures, I will give you some better directions. I would show pictures of mine, but its all glued together now.  

Offline misternull

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2003, 07:39:57 AM »
yeah, i definately must have broken off those comma shaped things underneath the spindle.  my problem was had to do with one of the wings that helps hold up the cd, and so it wasn't sitting level.  now that i've completed screwed over that spindle, i'm wondering if i can find a replacement.  maybe not a gamecube spindle, but one from a cd player (etc) that i could sit down on that column that the 'eject cd' pushbutton attaches too.  i'll keep you all updated.

any contributions of broken cd players greatly appreciated

Offline guitaraffa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2003, 09:36:30 PM »
I've been having errors occur, but they don't always come right away.  Sometimes it will be after 30 minutes of usage, so I'm not sure if it's the spindle.

Anyway, I tried removing the spindle... and there is absolutely nothing that can be removed.  I tried pulling at every part of the spindle (even with pliars) and twisting it as well (not too hard though).  I'm stumped by this removable spindle you're talking about... and I'm a mechanical engineer.  Both the inner and outter spindle are firmly in place... and from the look of it, the disk doesn't seem to be at an angle anyway.  I'm not sure what the problem is... but it seems like I'm unable to use your solution anyway.  If there is something the exactly needs to be done to remove the spindle, please tell me, because pulling it out isn't working.

thanks

Offline Backslider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 02:23:09 AM »
The spindle is not attached by any type of fastener, it simply is a snug plastic piece that fits on the metal shaft. If you can find a good place to pull the spindle without breaking something it will slip off.

If you have a gamebit screwdriver and would like to open your nintendo you can see this for your self.

Offline Backslider

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 02:24:55 AM »

Originally posted by: misternull
yeah, i definately must have broken off those comma shaped things underneath the spindle.  my problem was had to do with one of the wings that helps hold up the cd, and so it wasn't sitting level.  now that i've completed screwed over that spindle, i'm wondering if i can find a replacement.  maybe not a gamecube spindle, but one from a cd player (etc) that i could sit down on that column that the 'eject cd' pushbutton attaches too.  i'll keep you all updated.

any contributions of broken cd players greatly appreciated

Is the wing still not working?

You can still glue the spindle together without hurting anyting, however if that wing isn't working it will be of no use.

Do you have a digital camera?

Offline misternull

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2003, 07:24:09 AM »
nope, don't have a digital camera.  something's destroyed with the spindle, because when i do put the cd hub back together (wings, ball-bearings, and all) it doesn't grip the cd firmly.  the result is that it scratches the games a little on start-up (i've just been testing with bloody roar )  i tried putting a washer underneath to lift it a little, but i guess it puts the gd-rom to far above the laser to read.  anyway, it plays the games for 20min and shuts off like it was doing before.  are you completely sure this is a spindle problem?  it seems like it would be heat related, or something else to do with timing.  anyway, i talked to nintendo and even though i have that hub completely off they'll still give me a refirbished for $75.  just need to put a little money away for that now.

Offline SSU

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2003, 02:56:52 PM »
 I don't understand the first step. do i just pull it or what? I pull the spinny thing or what?

Offline thechillness

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2003, 11:52:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Backslider
The spindle is not attached by any type of fastener, it simply is a snug plastic piece that fits on the metal shaft. If you can find a good place to pull the spindle without breaking something it will slip off.

you keep saying this, but its not coming off, i'm putting my fingernails under either side of the little spinny thing and pulling as hard as i can and its not budging, let along "slipping right off"

it feels like i'm going to tear the entire innards of the system out or something, could you elaborate on how to take this off?  

Offline Bealy3

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2003, 07:43:21 AM »
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!! I HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM!! I WILL PUT IN MY GAME THE LIGHT DOES COME ON BUT THE CENTER HUB WILL NOT MOVE... WHAT DO I DO!! HELP!
Corey M Beal

Offline Shawnk00

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2003, 08:49:24 AM »
I cant get it off either..

-Shawnk
Email: angelslayer0704@netscape.net
AIM: angelslayer0704

Offline xeonexus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2003, 12:15:37 PM »
Push down on the cd holder and twist to the left.Thats how i got mine off.My 1st gc gets read errors and no disk errors.Its not the cd spinner tho and at $99 its not worth sending it in to fix.Had it for over 2 yrs so warranty is over.

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 03:31:11 AM »
For read errors, try to push the thing that holds the lens towards the centre of the cube. They drift away slightly over time from being moved and banged around.