Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 Preview  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Mass Effect 3 Preview
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »

Because every console needs an iteration of Mass Effect, even if it's just the third one.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/30613

After two games in the series missed appearances on Nintendo systems, Mass Effect 3 is now making its way to Wii U.

In Mass Effect 3, you take the role of Commander Shepard, a character players can either customize to be any gender, race, and size, or leave in a default male or female appearance. The game is a combination of action-RPG elements and more traditional third-person shooting. It includes character leveling, plenty of skill tree options, many different combat skills to alter to the player's specifications, and a story with emotional heft.

The story finds Commander Shepard as he or she (and earth) are attacked by the ancient Reaper alien race, after Shepard had warned everyone, to no avail, that such an attack would be coming. After the chaotic invasion, Shepard is tasked with forming alliances across the galaxy to build an army strong enough to save organic life as we know it.

One of the most interesting things about the story of Mass Effect 3 is how it gives the players the option of how to react at every turn in the story, allowing the game to build a personalized experience around the player, and even change the path of the story based on past actions and choices.

Because so little was shown of the Wii U version, there is almost no way to guess what new features (if any) the new version will offer, though the mapping of combat abilities or dialog choices to the GamePad's touch screen (in a manner similar to how Kinect was integrated into the Xbox version) might make sense. When Mass Effect 2 was released on PlayStation 3 in early 2011, there was a digital comic that allowed the player to decide how the plot of the first game would be carried out. Since, presumably, the first and second game won't be coming to Wii U by the time the third one releases (giving Wii U owners no ability to transfer data from previous Mass Effect games over to the third, as was possible on other platforms), it would be interesting to see if BioWare takes the same approach, or one unique to the system.

Mass Effect 3 is expected to come out during the Wii U launch window, though no release date is specified on Nintendo's E3 website.

Offline Ryadin91

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 3 Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
I'm so glad I just bought the 2nd one the other day and not the 2nd and third, because I was just about to!
I got a dead pixel on my 3DS and it pains me...
Please someone answer my question! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37536.msg728915#msg728915

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »
Given that no Wii-exclusive features are known, I can't really see myself buying this one when there will likely be much cheaper methods to play it by that point.  I bought the first two games during a Steam sale last July (evil, evil Steam...), and they're still residing in my backlog o' shame.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:10:24 AM »
the only way I would re-buy mass effect, is if they updated ME1 to the ME2 engine. and sold it as a trilogy. I'd pay 60 for that. (and I play ME on the PC, so getting me to buy a console version is no mean feat.)

Offline Ryadin91

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
the only way I would re-buy mass effect, is if they updated ME1 to the ME2 engine. and sold it as a trilogy. I'd pay 60 for that. (and I play ME on the PC, so getting me to buy a console version is no mean feat.)
It could very well be a trilogy because all we really saw in the conference was part of a cutscene from the 3rd one, but knowing EA and their stupid origin, they like ripping people off.
I got a dead pixel on my 3DS and it pains me...
Please someone answer my question! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37536.msg728915#msg728915