Author Topic: Pedro Sees a 3DS for the Very First Time  (Read 3644 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Pedro Sees a 3DS for the Very First Time
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »

After a year since its release, Pedro finally witnesses a 3DS in action.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/29952

It's funny how things work in life sometimes. Despite me writing for the site for a long time now, detailing previews and news stories about the 3DS, I had yet to see what the 3DS was all about. In other words, I had never seen a 3DS, much less held one, until very recently. The reason why I still don't own one is simple: when it first came out it was too expensive, and when my job ended in the summer of 2011, I couldn't afford it.

But thanks to some great students of mine at my newest job, I was able to see what the 3DS was all about. When school was out, a couple of my students were playing with their systems. I politely asked them to show it to me. The very thing I decided to check out was the fabled glasses-free 3D. When the 3DS was first announced, I found it very hard to believe that the handheld would be capable of pulling off such a feat. Even when people said that it was amazing, I still found it to be hard to believe.

Now that I have seen how the 3D works and, well, color me impressed! The 3D screen really does look great! It's amazing how it is able to switch to 3D mode with just the turn of a switch. The game I was seeing at the time was Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. It was a bit surreal seeing a game I was so familiar with on the home consoles on the small yet impressive screen. The 3D visuals in particular really sold the game to me.

But with all the amazing technology in display, there was a downside to all of it: the very advertised side effects of 3D gaming. After a minute or so of 3D display, my eyes started to hurt a bit. I've been told, however, that the effect wears off after a while. Still that was a bit concerning.

But it was time for all of us to go home, so my time with the 3DS was over. Two minutes barely scratched the surface regarding the 3DS's features. I only got to briefly see the Home Menu and a bit of a demo, so I can't exactly give out a full set of impressions on the system. Still, based on what I saw, I understand all the hype behind it. Hopefully I will have a 3DS by the end of the year. I will then offer my full set of impressions on the relatively young handheld.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Pedro Sees a 3DS for the Very First Time
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:51 AM »
Yeah, the 3DS is pretty cool. You just need an internet connection and money to make it cooler.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
The first time I played a 3DS I got a crazy headache, but now I can play it for hours without it bothering me.  UNLESS I monkey around with the depth slider while looking at the screen.  Don't do that.

Offline Ryadin91

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
Launch of the 3DS was a very exciting night for me, and it wasn't even for the games, because we all know about the dredful launch games. The first thing I did was make a Mii for thats what you should do IMO.
I got a dead pixel on my 3DS and it pains me...
Please someone answer my question! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=37536.msg728915#msg728915

Offline Nintendofanboii

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/xdarkflame64x
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »
The 3D has never bothered me, and I even play some game that allow further depth like Resident Evil with it on.
Hey Nintendo fans! make sure to check mii out on facebook and youtube for awesome videos, and updates, and rare collections!

Offline SMWiz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »
I usually play with the 3D slider around half capacity. It still gives me additional depth, but without the headache and it saves on battery power.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »

Welcome to the party Pal! Do they have Best Buys on the island? They have demo stations.

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »
Similar thing happened to me, but with a PS Vita. I was at my nearest GameStop (over 20 miles away in the next county), when I finally saw my first real life Vita on display. I picked it up, pressed the power button, the damn thing was dead.

And to add insult to injury, I checked out the ps3 3D glasses, and all i got to see was switching 1P and 2P screens when you pressed a button on the glasses. Nothing was in 3d.

This is the ongoing battle between my past decade of Sony games, and my common sense.
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:48 AM »
Glasses based 3D piss me off to no end. The 3DS is the only 3D effect I have found to be pleasing. There was the initial adjustment period, but for me glasses based 3D is as quiant as when 3D meant red and blue glasses.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 03:07:57 AM »
As weird as it sounds, I hope that the Wii U will one day pull off glasses-free 3d. I mean, it sounds possible in a way, maybe on the touch screen controller? I dunno... something that I can really look forward to, besides the information that I don't know yet.... E3 ftw! :D
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline Minsc

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »
These initial 3D headaches sound quite familiar to the headache a person may get when trying a new glasses prescription.  Once the eyes adjust the strain goes away.