Author Topic: Wii Brazil Launch Details  (Read 3396 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Wii Brazil Launch Details
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »
$650?  At least it's going to be the cheapest of the three.

The Arena Gamer Experience is a Brazilian gaming show that's open to the public.  It took place last weekend in São Paulo, and people all over the country came to see games companies had on display and play games against each other in various tournaments.    

There was some Wii news to be had at the event as well.  According to Rafael Gómez, a member of the Latamel company which represents Nintendo in Brazil, the Wii will launch in the region in the first week of December at a price between 1,400 and 1,500 Brazilian Reais.  10,000 hardware units are expected from the get-go.    

Converting that Brazilbucks figure into American dollars puts the Wii's retail price in the country at around $650.  Obviously, different economies around the world dictate that prices for things are different in other regions.  Even so, that's a lot of money for the lowest-priced next-gen system.    

Luckily for us Yanks, we won't be paying any more than $250 for the Wii console, when it's released in the States some time before Thanksgiving.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Brazil Launch Details
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:28:18 AM »
Anyone know what the Xbox 360 retails for (or what the PS3 will retailer for) in Brazil?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:56:49 AM »
Now you guys know where the hell Nintendo's profits come from when the sell so cheap in the states :P

The 360 here in Colombia is around $500 dollars and the rev is expected at $300 as always so in Brazil the 360 and ps3 are probably close to the price of a small car.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »
That's insane.

I just did a little research.  I could ship a 12" square package weighing 5 lbs with a declared United States value of $230 to Porto Alegre, Brazil for $239.

If any Brazilians want to send me a certified check for $500 ($230 x 1.07 + 239 = $485), I'll buy you a Wii here in the States and mail it to you.

EDIT:  If I change the package size to 12" x 12" x 6" the shipping cost drops to $164.  So I might be able to get you guys a Wii for even cheaper, depending on the dimensions of the box.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »
No wonder piracy down there is so huge.  If I had to pay that much I'd buy nothing but pirated games as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »
One peice of good news.  If there getting it down there in brazil in december, that confirms a worldwide launch (or at least as close to it as possible)
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Wii Brazil Launch Details
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »
$650?  At least it's going to be the cheapest of the three.

The Arena Gamer Experience is a Brazilian gaming show that's open to the public.  It took place last weekend in São Paulo, and people all over the country came to see games companies had on display and play games against each other in various tournaments.    

There was some Wii news to be had at the event as well.  According to Rafael Gómez, a member of the Latamel company which represents Nintendo in Brazil, the Wii will launch in the region in the first week of December at a price between 1,400 and 1,500 Brazilian Reais.  10,000 hardware units are expected from the get-go.    

Converting that Brazilbucks figure into American dollars puts the Wii's retail price in the country at around $650.  Obviously, different economies around the world dictate that prices for things are different in other regions.  Even so, that's a lot of money for the lowest-priced next-gen system.    

Luckily for us Yanks, we won't be paying any more than $250 for the Wii console, when it's released in the States some time before Thanksgiving.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Rafalapso

• View Profile
RE:Wii Brazil Launch Details
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:07:31 AM »
You know, the Xbox360 is sold here at US$ 1200, or 3x the US price.
The Wii is to be sold at 2.6x its US price, so it's not that bad.
If you were to go to Paraguay (piracy land) you could get a Xbox360 at US$521 and probably a Wii for US$ 300 or less.
(You'll need to evade the border police to be able to avoid import taxes)

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 11:05:59 AM »
so is piracy low in Brazil? as far as I know piracy is rampant across all latinamerica.

At least here in Colombia the "legal" price for the wii is probably going to be $300, it still is a lot of money for the economies in the region.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »
The best piece of news here is that places like brazil are usually some of the last to get consoles.  So if it is launching the first week of december, that confirms a worldwide launch (or at least really close to it), but we all suspected that anyway.  Too bad it'll be so much more expensive there.  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 11:37:40 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
so is piracy low in Brazil? as far as I know piracy is rampant across all latinamerica.

At least here in Colombia the "legal" price for the wii is probably going to be $300, it still is a lot of money for the economies in the region.
it is, Chile is the only one I heard that has it somewhat controlled.....

still, that price is about the same it'll be over here.....guess I'll have to get from somewhere else

and to the one who mentioned it, yes, in Paraguay it's cheaper because all the technological stuff doesn't have to pay taxes (heh, I wish it'd the same over here...)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 07:07:14 AM »
this is obviously price gouging...evil profiteers.

its a joke.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine