Author Topic: A more "traditionally designed" controller for Rev?  (Read 35541 times)

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
A more "traditionally designed" controller for Rev?
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:10:53 PM »
Gamesindustry.biz thinks so

And I have never known them to lie or be wrong about didly OR squat.

The excerpt:

"Another device which will connect to the expansion port is a more traditionally designed controller, which will allow players to control the Nintendo back catalogue titles which the Revolution can play."

So what do you think my peeps?  

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: A more "traditionally designed" controller for Rev?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 11:26:46 PM »
You know I was reading some of the transcript on that site. And it seems that Nintendo is trying to do what the PSX did for developers with the N64. Made a platform and encouraged the smaller developers to make games for it and try to take as many as the barriers down as possible. Next generation is going to be very interesting indeed.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 11:56:18 PM »
Not a bad point.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 12:10:37 AM »
How would that work, exactly? Would the remote controller fit into the traditional controller somehow so there would be no dangling wires?

When I look at this thing I can't help but think of an airplane seat remote control... you know the kind I'm talking about if you've seen it. I can see this controller fitting horizontally into a traditional one in the same way, but I can't visualize what the combined controller would look like.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 02:24:50 AM »
I have a feeling that there might be a more "traditional" Revolution controller as well. The remote control piece could slide into the underside of it, connecting inside the controller (no dangling wire) and use the "B" button on the underside as a trigger for the controller. The entire thing wouldn't be any larger than a WaveBird controller.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 02:32:56 AM »
IGN has the Revolution controller "Teaser video up. Seeing it in action (though no game footage is show at all) looks very promising...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334p1.html
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
RE:A more "traditionally designed" controller for Rev?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 03:27:25 AM »
Basically, I think what we're seeing is the core on the new controller.
Something simple and sleek to attract those non-gamers Nintendo has been clamoring for. But I do think there will be a standard controller that attaches to it. Nintendo probably didn't show it for two reasons. The first being that it wanted to focus on the new technology the controller would allow. The second being that they haven't completely decided what it will look like yet. If you think about it, this really makes sense. Having the motion detection simply implemented into a normal controller would completely destroy Nintendo's goal of attracting non-gamers and games that rely heavily or even entirely on the motion detection would be hampered by a dozen or so buttons and analog sticks. I speculate the system will come standard with the core remote, the corded analog stick, a standard controller that will firmly attach to the core, and a mic. Different combinations of these accessories and future accessories (touch pad, etc..) will allow for a multitude of unique game styles as well as ALL traditional ones. Many of those traditional games will actually be exponentially better with the new motion detection in addition to the standard buttons.
I believe that while some multi-platform games may lazily rely on the standard controller accessory, many games will actually be tweaked to work the core controller. If you think about, just about everythink the standard buttons and analog sticks have done in games these past generations could be adapted to the motion sensing techlogy. I think as more developers come to utilize the technology, we could eventually see the standard interface become truly obsolete. It would simply be a mistake for Nintendo to retire it before developers are ready to let go of it.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 06:31:08 AM »
All Nintendo really needs to do is redesign their "remote."

That analog stick attachment looked like the most comfortable and best shaped controller yet. If they just took that controller and added all the functionality of the remote, it would be perfect.

Or better yet, why can't they simply split a GC controller in half? Add gyration to the right half and be done with it.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 06:32:27 AM »
Do I need to post this everywhere?

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 06:38:16 AM »
That was a great interview with Jim Merrick, I wonder if the rev controller will slide in horizontal or vertical?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 06:47:13 AM »
Considering the motion sensor is on front of the controller, it'll most likely slide in through the top...

Like such... (except put the face buttons in a more N64 format)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 06:48:47 AM »
From Revo-Europe...

More glowing comments were given by Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear fame and a representative of Square-Enix during Iwata's keynote address. "'You've done it!' was my [first] impression! This was totally unexpected, I was pleasantly suprised because the controller is comfortable, and yet provides something brand new." He talked of how the NES controller defined the controllers we see today - held in both hands with A and B buttons. "Even though it was a suprise to me, once I had held the controller I quickly understood how it could be used."

Good news all around...

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 07:17:17 AM »
yeah nintendo said it would be able to play cross platform games via an expansion controller.   Its in gamespots video review.  
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 07:37:34 AM »
They better make the expansion really cheap, and preferably packed in with a console (one controller, one standard shell, one console).  That's all I'm saying, but it's good to know this particular problem is solved.
Can't wait to see the design, though.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 07:43:18 AM »
i think they said the analog expansion will come packed in with revo.  Not sure about the traditional controller.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 07:46:36 AM »
i hope there is a more tradition controller. i like the 4 button system, and i dont think the new more complicated games can get by on 2 buttons...what is nintendo thinking.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 07:49:12 AM »
You realize the D-pad on the remote-controller can be used as face buttons, right? (in fact, I'd like them to change them to face buttons)
That means four buttons, plus the large A buttons, so five easily accessible buttons.  Not to mention three, I believe, triggers.
And then there's the two buttons down at the bottom, if you need them for something, and start and select.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 07:51:02 AM »

Originally posted by: nolimit19
i hope there is a more tradition controller. i like the 4 button system, and i dont think the new more complicated games can get by on 2 buttons...what is nintendo thinking.

Urm...the remote has 4 buttons... the two "a b" buttons, a larger A and the trigger B.  Plus, with the analog stick, that adds two more.

Oh gawd. I just realized.  All of my kooky friends who call controllers "remotes" will be vindicated.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 07:52:18 AM »

Listen closely:  You can move the controller in different directions to do diffferent things on screen.  There is no need for the buttons if you can actually perform these functions.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 08:07:09 AM »
The only thing nintendo needs to change IS to put four buttons at the bottom.  It needs the ABXY set up down there.  Right now turning the controller on the side makes for a perfect NES controller.  There is no reason it shouldn't make for a perfect SNES controller as well.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 08:07:12 AM »
i understand all that, but i think this would be hard for certain games...especially any game where you need to do quick combos or hit multible buttons at the same time. i would still like to see more than one button at the top of the controller.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 08:10:28 AM »
Hmm, I just had another thought.  How many games would use both a right d-pad and right buttons at the same time?  They should add 4 more buttons to the bottom... then also make it so the controller could be held upside down as well.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 08:13:13 AM »
i thought the  thing at the  top was just an infrared thing f or turning  your rev  on.... i hope i ts  no other use  but that because i  absolutely positively hate infrared
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »
i just think this is unnecessarily innovative. adding the tilt function is cool, but having such a dramatically different controller will only chase away the traditional gamer...which is an video game companies base. i will most likely still get a rev. i hope its awesome, and i hope my initial reaction to this controlelr is wrong and short sighted, but...i think this is a bad move....unless they add more buttons.

Thomas Paine

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 08:18:11 AM »
Ya that is all it is....

I don't know what people are talking about when they say it can't work for HD's because the sensor is too small....WHAT?!

Nintendo has tested this on screen sizes that are simply hard to imagine (have you ever seen a 100" HD-flatscreen?)/

What tells the REV that the controller is being flicked or wiggled or whatever is the gyration inside the controller and the information being sent out ala the WaveBird.

It is wireless and has nothing to do with infrared. RF people, RF....(though I think they should use WiFi....maybe it is WiFi?).