Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 has sold 1.23 million units world wide  (Read 11611 times)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 has sold 1.23 million units world wide
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 06:44:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
CAPCOM SALES

FY 2004 Sales Results (4/1/2004 - 3/31/2005)
PlayStation 2 - 40 titles, 7.3 million copies
GameCube - five titles, 2 million copies
Xbox - seven titles, 250,000 copies
Game Boy Advance - seven titles, 3.4 million copies
PC & Misc. - 11 titles, 400,000 copies

FY 2005 Sales Estimates (4/01/2005 - 3/31/2006)
PlayStation 2 - 55 titles, 10.7 million copies
GameCube - four titles, 350,000 WTF? copies
Xbox - eight titles, 750,000 copies
Game Boy Advance - four titles, 1.25 million copies
PC & Misc. - zero titles, zero copies

Seriously... Capcom is SO anti-Nintendo, it's not even funny.

so 2004 average sales number per game is like this...

ps2- 182,500
gc- 400,000
xbox- 35,714
GBA- 485,714
PC & misc.- 36,363

assuming those sales numbers are right, capcom must be completely out of their minds....what is the source of those numbers?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 09:13:16 AM »

Originally posted by: anubis6789
Ian, I don't think that there are a whole lot of people are angry enough at Capcom to stop buying their games. I mean sure I was upset when they revealed the PS2 version of RE4 but I still bought that game, and I am still anxiously waiting for Killer 7.

I am upset that we are not getting the Capcom game collection though. Didn't Mega Man Aniversry Collection do the best on the GCN anyway?

Indeed, a lot of what Capcom has done wrt RE4 has hurt them a lot more than it hurts us. I've got no problem with them releasing inferior PS2 ports of their good Cube titles.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil 4 has sold 1.23 million units world wide
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 10:04:12 AM »
I got no real beef about them myself from Capcom porting either, but burning RE4s' release intentionally like that is a real kick in the nuts.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 11:01:49 AM »

Originally posted by: nolimit19

so 2004 average sales number per game is like this...

ps2- 182,500
gc- 400,000
xbox- 35,714
GBA- 485,714
PC & misc.- 36,363

assuming those sales numbers are right, capcom must be completely out of their minds....what is the source of those numbers?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/01/news_6126708.html

I think we already knew Capcom was out of their minds. I'm still waiting for Shinji Mikami to cut his head off. (Remember? He said he'd cut off his own head if RE4 ever made it to PS2. I don't blame him, because I think he truly wanted it to stay on GCN, but still.)
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 12:54:46 PM »

I'm still waiting for Shinji Mikami to cut his head off.
If that happens, watch out...a parasite might jump out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »
those numbers....geez, i was honestly kind of assuming that those numbers were exagerated.

just look at that:

ps2- 182,500
gc- 400,000
xbox- 35,714

i cant get over it. the average capcom game for the gamecube sells more than 10 times better than the average capcom game for the xbox. that means something, regardless of any variables.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2005, 02:52:40 PM »
I have been thinking about it and maybe we are not looking at the numbers correctly.

Are these international numbers? If so then RE4 would make up half the total for the GCN. If these are just US numbers then the 400,000 figure is more accurate, seeing as how RE4 has only sold 500,000 in the US. Maybe these are just for Japan. Does any one know were these numbers are refering to?

Just wanted to put some things out there to think about.

*EDIT:added the part about Japan which I forgot to put in earlier.*
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 09:44:06 PM »
Okay I just thought about it some more and even if these were international numbers it would still work out to between 250,000 to 200,000 per title, outside of RE4. This ofcourse will still put the gamecube ahead on a per title bases.

The more I think about the more I think everyone hates Nintendo.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »
seriously, what is the deal with all this anti-nintendo business practice. money is supposed to run businesses, but it doesnt seem to be the case with companies dealing with nintendo...

i just dont get it

Thomas Paine

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 09:38:52 PM »

Seriously... Capcom is SO anti-Nintendo, it's not even funny.

To tell you the truth, I don't think that Capcom even get THAT far. I think they see a list like the one you just posted and they think "WOW! We have GOT to get those PS2 numbers up!" I don't think that the GCN is anymore than an afterthought to them anymore. Who knows why?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2005, 03:45:30 AM »

I'm still waiting for Shinji Mikami to cut his head off. (Remember? He said he'd cut off his own head if RE4 ever made it to PS2. I don't blame him, because I think he truly wanted it to stay on GCN, but still.)
He sort of did cut his own head off, he did break away from capcom and started his own (subsidiary) company " Clover Studios".  So in a way he detached himself from the head even though the main vein(money) is still attached.

Offline xts3

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2005, 06:42:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Nosferat2
Your right they are justified in selling RE4 on the PS2.  But not if there was an agreement otherwise. I dont know how nintendo let them get out of that deal of exclusivity. IM certain Nintendo took a nice payoff for that one, or  maybe there was some renig clause in the contract.
But who cares about all that BS.
This is the kicker. PS2 gets ports of Gamecube games but rarely does the Gamecube get Ports of the Ps2 games. Where is Devil May Cry for the Gamecube. If Campcom is justified in selling Re4 to the Ps2 they are equally justified in porting the 40 games on the PS2 to the Gamecube. Why dont they?? They will sell more wont they??? I dont undrstand the logic nor dont i understand why in the hell they do what they do.

I think the lack of gamecube ports has to do with maybe a high percentage of gamecube owners owning a PS2?  Seems reasonable to me when you consider people mainly own the cube for their favorite franchises and not as the main gaming platform.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2005, 08:51:06 AM »
Shinji Mikami was actually a director at Clover but continued to work with Production Studios 4 until RE4 was finished--so it really didn't have anything to do with RE4 being ported since that decision came after he already decided to leave.  Think he stated how he wanted to create something "different".

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2005, 09:32:41 AM »
He couldn't have stopped the decision anyway. What the managers/shareholders decide overrules the game designer. Which is why some games suck so bad or are rehashes, the managers wanted to change stuff. Sometimes for marketability, sometimes because they think they know how to improve it (and sometimes because they want to look busy).

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2005, 10:23:21 AM »
Exactly... no one that had a hand in trying to port a reasonable version of RE: Code Veronica from the supposedly inferior DC to the PS2 came up with the idea of taking the single most visually stunning title on a vastly superior piece of hardware and bring it to the Ps2 as well.

The ultimate irony is that this "purely financial" decision has been just as problematic from a business perspective as it was from a technological perspective.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2005, 11:44:13 PM »
Good point jason.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 06:04:53 AM »
Just got this game the other day and think its the best thing since sliced bread.  Absolutely love this game and the new direction it was taken in.  The story is pretty decent too (unlike most games these days).  Its like watching a movie im totally in awe!! I recomend anyone who has not got this game yet to go straight out and buy it, its really really worth it.

(I love it when you finish exams and you get to buy all the games you wanted to play during the year but cant because you dont want the distractions, now if i could only find myself viewtiful joe!!)
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 02:40:25 PM »
Dude if a game gets a 10 at PGC, it bloody well deserved it. These guys put out some of the best reviews on the web. An excellent canidate for best game of the generation. Masterpiece.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline xts3

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2005, 10:51:12 PM »
It's too bad the layout for the hardware and game reviews is absolutely friggin horrible they should hire somebody to clean that up, gamespot has way better layout they could learn a lot from that site, hell even other fansites with their reviews have better layouts then PGC.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2005, 07:24:42 AM »
Games by alphabetical order?  It's fine by me.  I suppose a search feature could be added.

Besides, if you're going to gamespot for your reviews you're a moron.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2005, 08:10:40 AM »
I suppose a search feature could be added.

Since they're all listed on one page you can just use CTRL-F. Or /expression, if you use Firefox and prefer that.

What IS annoying is that sometimes there's no indicator what system a game is for.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2005, 12:13:21 PM »
That's what I do anyway, but I have to wait for the page to load if my game is low alphabetically.  It's not such a big deal on DSL, but on slower connections it can be a bother.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2005, 12:37:26 PM »
Back to the damn subject, anyone know how many units RE 4 sold?