Poll

Which contributor will leave Channel Awesome next?

Doug Walker
0 (0%)
Brad Jones
0 (0%)
Larry Bundy Jr.
0 (0%)
The site will close down before any of them have a chance.
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Channel Not so Awesome  (Read 3611 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Channel Not so Awesome
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
I don't know if anyone has heard about this yet or not but Holy ****.

click here for a 60+ page document of airing of grievances from former Channel Awesome (That Guy With the Glasses) contributors.

Here's a live reading.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Channel Not so Awesome
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »
Wat
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
Yeah, I've been following this ever since Allison Pregler was fired. I plan on talking about on the next NFR.

If Channel Aawesome survives all this, it will be both amazing & depressing
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 12:17:45 AM »
I was going to make a video on this topic today about not joining the mob. Then I read the document and some of the Twitter responses from the people involved and changed my mind. I just hope when this site implodes the good people land meaningful work elsewhere.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:44:57 AM »
What is Channel Awesome and why should I care about it to spend 5 hours watching a YouTube Video on it?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
It is the home of Nostalgia Critic, and grew over the years to include a number of other players in the ramp-up to the YouTuber movement. Creator and co-founder Doug Walker (the person who plays the Nostalgia Critic) was even awarded Entrepreneur of the Year for this work and business success.

In recent years it was obvious the site as a whole was not doing as well, in part because of how the "reviewer" movement solidified its foundation on YouTube and a number of smaller video sites collapsed. I Typically found the Critic's videos funny and entertaining, but the other contributors were hit-and-miss. Not sure I feel like digging into this controversy, as these "internet controversies" all tend to burn me out before they begin, but I hope that the truth prevails and anyone wronged is properly compensated as is appropriate.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
So I took the bait and listened to a video summarizing the situation. Turns out the guy I found sounds a little level headed, and a lot of the drama is typical overblown internet drama, complaining about things they agreed to participate in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NcI-2ih-84

There are some accusations of sexual harassment, and those are far more serious, but those concerns are getting drowned out by people whining about nitpicks and situations they agreed -repeatedly- to take part in.

So again, I hope the truth comes to light and that those wronged receive right treatment or compensation.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 01:06:22 AM »
Not sure I ever watched anything of the Nostalgia Critic so... moving on.

But thanks for the answer.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
So one of the allegations in the Not So Awesome document was that one of it's "former contributors" was grooming underage girls. I found it odd that the former contributor wasn't actually named but Channel Awesome in an attempt to dig themselves out of this mess wound up confirming that this had taken place and released some chatlogs from the incident. They did not do an adequate job redacting information like at all so it's come to light that the "former contributor" who was responsible for this was JewWario.

Just holy ****.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »
Huh, I wonder if that is part of the reason he parted ways with them. It was framed as a separation initiated by JewWario, and I recall some noisy fans blame Channel Awesome for losing their key members. Maybe it was them trying to quietly cut off toxic members to avoid a real scandal.
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
Yeah the only people left on Channel Awesome now for contributors are Doug, Bard Jones, and Larry Bundy Jr.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 11:17:22 PM »
There are rumors circulating, with convincing evidence, Doug and Rob may have left the channel.
I think the site is probably finished and Doug needs to make a "farewell" video sooner or later. Sad really, watching NC videos was what got me through my dad being in ICU a few years ago.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 01:07:02 AM »
It's interesting because Mike owns the rights to the Nostalgia Critic so he'd be giving that up if he left Channel Awesome.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 06:56:39 PM »
The rumors suggest he might be suing for those rights. Either way, he's walked away from the character before and it might be to toxic to keep doing anyways. I am not convinced this controversy was totally founded and I think the people turning on Justin are probably going over board, in my opinion.

Malcolm posted on the comments of the latest NC video *he* is still making videos but wouldn't say anymore.
The current video has over 460,000 views so it's not like the series is dead yet. Maybe all this blows over but who knows. A part of me kind of wants to send them my demo and see if they might be looking for new producers but I am worried anyone that starts working for them right now might not be welcomed by the mob right away.