Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Bayonetta 3 - Obligatory "Nintendo's Witch" Subject Edit

<< < (4/5) > >>

lolmonade:
Pure speculation, but in my line of work, when a business doesn't want to outright reject our request but has no interest, they'll quote us a price that's incredibly out of bounds for what the material cost & labor being done.  My guess is that they didn't really want her, let her audition, then offered her that $4k that'd force her to decline. 

Not any less unsavory than other speculation, but just an educated guess about the inner workings of what actually happened in the process.

Adrock:
We've reached the inevitable point where people scoured Hellena Taylor's social media and found some unfortunate personal views so now they're using that to rescind their pledge to boycott. Y'all didn't even have to get that far. And if you chose to boycott but were looking for reasons not to, the original choice seems performative.

We shouldn't make exceptions about things like worker pay because of someone's personal views. If we go down that road, it's so easy to find something. While someone may be a miserable piece of **** on their own time, they should still be offered fair pay for the work they do. Just because an entity can legally pay someone as little as possible, doesn't make it right. In my view, Taylor's original point about the treatment of voice actors stands. If people still want to call out her TERF nonsense, they should do so but, you know, separately. They're not mutually exclusive, and attempting to address them at the same time clouds the messaging.

--- Quote from: BeautifulShy on October 18, 2022, 03:05:24 AM ---Keep in mind the game was created by a full team of hardworking people and keep an open mind about what they created.
--- End quote ---
Yep. This is largely why I wasn't boycotting the game. The developers can get paid bonuses based on sales performance though I don't believe voice actors in the US get paid residuals for work in video games (which is ridiculous). The whole boycott became this weird trolley problem. Ultimately, it feels like there are no winners here.

--- Quote from: lolmonade on October 18, 2022, 10:02:58 AM ---My guess is that they didn't really want her, let her audition, then offered her that $4k that'd force her to decline.
--- End quote ---
It just seems so unnecessary. There's already an audition, a perfectly built in out if the producers didn't want to hire Taylor. And what if she accepted the offer? Would they feel stuck with an actor they didn't want?

I've spoken to enough gig industry workers to understand the prevailing attitude from clients is "Why pay someone more when I can pay them less?" so it's also possible PlatinumGames simply overplayed its hand. Kamiya gave Taylor a final offer instead of simply asking what she wanted to be paid.

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: Adrock on October 18, 2022, 10:35:52 AM ---We've reached the inevitable point where people scoured Hellena Taylor's social media and found some unfortunate personal views so now they're using that to rescind their pledge to boycott. Y'all didn't even have to do that. And if you chose to boycott but were looking for reasons not, the original choice seems performative.

We shouldn't make exceptions about things like worker pay because someone has certain personal views. While someone may be a miserable piece of **** on their own time, they should still be offered fair pay for the work they do. Just because an entity can legally pay someone as little as possible, doesn't make it right. In my view, Taylor's original point about the treatment of voice actors stands. If people still want to call out her TERF nonsense, they should do so but, you know, separately. They're not mutually exclusive, and attempting to address them at the same time clouds the messaging.

--- End quote ---

Yeah even though I was never going to boycott the game anyway, what people are doing now is just disgusting.  So because she has different political views, we can't even have a debate on this subject anymore, that's just terrible.  The Reset Era topic in particular shows how much of a joke that site it.  Here's a woman asking for something most liberals on that site were in favor of but as soon as it turns out she has some non-liberal views suddenly you can't even talk about it anymore or else you get banned.  Even people who weren't even defending her as a person but trying to still talk about this issue got banned.

It's like come on, people can walk and chew gum at the same time.  Talking about one issue doesn't mean you don't care about the other, it just means it has nothing to do with this particular issue.  Unless it's revealed that Platinum intentionally low-balled her because of her views on trans people, then these two issue's are separate things that need to be treated as such.

Adrock:
Just putting this this here for posterity.

--- Quote from: Adrock on October 18, 2022, 04:10:41 PM ---For anyone who is not going to click into the article, here are the important bits:

* Jason Schreier spoke to two people who asked not to be identified (which is normal).
* Claim #1: Platinum Games sought to hire Taylor for at least five sessions, each paying $3,000 to $4,000 for four hours in the studio.
* Claim #2: Taylor asked for a six-figure sum as well as residuals on the game which PlatinumGames declined.
* Claim #3: PlatinumGames then offered Taylor a cameo for one session which she also turned down.
* Schreier contacted Taylor by email who denied this account.It's important to note that Schreier spoke to two people who were willing to corroborate each other's story. This is still one side's word against the other.

Taylor absolutely could be lying. This would be both stupid and hilarious considering how easy her account would be to disprove. Obviously, I'm pro-worker which is why I was more willing to side with the actor. I'm definitely more skeptical of her account than before. As stated earlier, I'm more than willing to hear different perspectives, and I reserve the right to change my opinion as more information is presented. I encourage others to do the same.

Also, it should be reiterated that it is still true that gig industry workers are frequently mistreated and given lowball offers. Regardless of who is lying, don't let that distract you from this fact. It has been known well before this story blew up.
--- End quote ---

Full Disclosure: If you're wondering why I'm so gung-ho about gig industry worker rights, I dated an arts writer, her father was a voice actor, and I've met numerous actors, directors, musicians, singers etc. etc. I've seen countless forms of clownery such as clients offering "exposure" in lieu of actual payment.

Stratos:
Yeah there is more going on and I'm instinctively leaning away from Taylor because she jumped so wildly to a boycott. People should be paid properly, but sure sounds like there is more than just pay going on here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version