Author Topic: Civ 6 coming to Switch: RIP your free time  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Civ 6 coming to Switch: RIP your free time
« on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
Confirmed early this morning.

https://civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-nintendo-switch-console-november-16-2018/

Sid Meier's Civilization VI for Nintendo Switch includes the latest game updates and improvements, and four pieces of additional content which adds four new civilizations, leaders, and scenarios:

- Vikings Scenario Pack
- Poland Civilization & Scenario Pack
- Australia Civilization & Scenario Pack
- Persia and Macedon Civilization & Scenario Pack

Key features for Sid Meier’s Civilization VI on Nintendo Switch include:

- PLAY YOUR WAY: The path to victory is the one you determine. Become the most scientifically advanced civilization, dominate through sheer military power, or become the foremost destination for the cultural arts.
- THE WORLD’S GREATEST LEADERS: Play as one of 24 different leaders from various countries around the world and throughout history. Build an empire of lucrative trade routes with Cleopatra of Egypt, flex the military might of your legions with Trajan of Rome, or develop a powerhouse of culture with Hojo Tokimune of Japan. Each of the leaders can be played any way you prefer, with unique abilities, units, and infrastructure in their quest for victory.
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map. Settle in uncharted lands, improve your surroundings, build new districts, and see your cities – and your civilization – prosper.
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
- EXCITING AND UNIQUE SCENARIOS: Civilization VI for Nintendo Switch includes four playable scenarios, each with a different setting and style of gameplay inspired by history. Be part of the colonization of Australia in “Outback Tycoon,” defend Poland from invaders in “Jadwiga’s Legacy”, choose a Viking leader to plunder Europe in “Vikings, Raiders, and Traders!”, or conquer the known world in the “Conquests of Alexander.”
- COOPERATIVE AND COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER: Up to 4 players can cooperate or compete for supremacy via a wireless LAN.

Sid Meier’s Civilization VI will be available on Nintendo Switch on November 16, 2018.

My dad played the crap out of previous Civ games so he is going to flip when he sees this.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Civ 6 coming to Switch: RIP your free time
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
So can we assume this was going to be announced at the Nintendo direct?  This easily would have been my favorite announcement for it if it wasn't delayed...

If this is truly the full-fledged game, then the idea of playing this on the couch instead of sitting in front of my PC for dozens of hours to play Civ is HUGE.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to see this in action first and I'm curious how it will handle future expansion packs (if it can be expanded like PC version) but if this is the true game, I'd get it for Switch. First time Civilization is back on a Nintendo console since the first one and the SNES. There was Civilization Revolution but that was more a spin-off / separate entry. I always though Civ 3 would work well on the DS but that never happened.

By the time the Direct airs there is not going to be any surprises left.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »
The closest analog to the Switch version is probably the iPad version. I haven't played that myself, but I've heard very good things about the quality of that port. It's supposed to work pretty well with touch controls.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:24:58 PM »
I hope that it's button controlled rather than touch screen only.  I hate touching the screen on my Switch.  I have buttons.  Please let me use them.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »
Maybe they'll bring back the mouse controller SNES style! Maybe Mario Paint 2 is going to be announced in the direct!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
Everyone here pretending like Civ on the go is a new innovation, when it was with us all this time on the Nokia N-Gage, smh. :-\

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
Everyone here pretending like Civ on the go is a new innovation, when it was with us all this time on the Nokia N-Gage, smh. :-\

CIV 2!  My first CIV game, i'd totally play that on my phone, lol.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »
I didn't even know they still made these games.

I remember trying Civilization II, it was all right but as a kid I don't think I really understood how all the systems worked.

I'm also a little confused about how they started handling these releases, with expansions and extras and such. Is this Switch version going to be a full game? Is there going to be DLC?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »
From the early info that broke from last week it appears to be the full base game and a few of the extra civilizations.  Not sure if it includes the Rise and Fall expansion.  Given that R&F was released back in February I hope it will be included.

All will be revealed tomorrow. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
If there's no way to play Rise and Fall I'm not interested in this version one bit.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 04:39:46 PM »
If it doesn't come with the expansion, then I will encourage me to wait for a "complete/GOTY" edition. Though my primary purchase decision is still the controls/UI. I really need to be convinced that they have a great alternate control system for both handheld and docked before I pick it up.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 07:54:40 PM »
Rise and Fall not included.

https://civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-nintendo-switch-release-date-november-16-2018/

Disappointing, but I'll still be picking this up immediately.