Author Topic: E3 2019  (Read 18051 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
E3 2019
« on: June 08, 2019, 12:54:24 PM »
My catch all non-Nintendo thread for the press conferences and what not.

EA Star Wars game seems surprisingly decent, I expect EA to close Respawn studios in the next few years because EA is the worst!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »
I won't be able to watch any of the conferences until Bethesda's tomorrow due to having to do heavy lawn work all day. Microsoft's and Bethesda's conferences are the only ones I plan on watching since I don't have a podcast anymore to pretend to care what Ubisoft is up to and Sony isn't having a conference. I find the recaps of Nintendo's Direct to be more worthwhile than watching the actual Direct.

I'm really hoping for an Evil Within 3 announcement.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »
Okay, so you dropped some vague statements that’s i’m curious about:

1. What’s going on with the lawn work? Is it your lawn? Are you in landscaping?

2. Why don’t you have a podcast anymore? Do you ever plan on starting a new one?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »
Okay, so you dropped some vague statements that’s i’m curious about:

1. What’s going on with the lawn work? Is it your lawn? Are you in landscaping?

2. Why don’t you have a podcast anymore? Do you ever plan on starting a new one?

1. I generally spend one of my 2 weekend days resting, and the other doing various lawn-related tasks around the house (weeding, bush/tree trimming, bagging, etc.). We have an HOA who gets really pissy about the lawn, especially because we haven't replaced it like they've asked since we bought this house 4 years ago (long story).

2. I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that NFR is over. Shortly after Donald suddenly left the show, I got moved up to a new role at my job that pretty much leaves me utterly exhausted when I get home. The job has much more pressure and a much heavier workload than my previous position. Add on to that major work around the house trying to get it into shape (again, long story), and I generally have very little relaxation time these days. You might have noticed I don't post as much about games and whatnot as I used to.

Donald was our editor, and while I could do editing myself (I have done it before)...I just don't have the time, nor the money to hire someone else to do it (trust me, I've looked into it. It would cost me north of $300 to get a single podcast edited at our usual length). And honestly...aside from a few people on Twitter, no one seems to have noticed or cared that the show stopped coming out.

I enjoyed doing NFR for the 6 years I was on it, and I hope that others enjoyed listening to it. But if we couldn't find someone to do what Donald did very valiantly for years at his own personal expense in time and energy and no one seems to miss it...perhaps it's best that it ended when it did. I've taken to posting my gaming/TV thoughts on the forums again in its place.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 10:53:44 PM »
HOAs are the worst.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 05:55:29 PM »
Phantasy Star Online 2 finally coming to the west means as far as I'm concerned Microsoft won E3.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »
Finished my work for the day early, so I watched the Microsoft conference via Giant Bomb's stream.

Even Giant Bomb couldn't make that trash interesting. Ugh...

Ori looks as great as ever, and I'll care about Cyberpunk when we're much closer to its release. Other than that, this conference was one big dud.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 06:34:57 PM »
@broodwars, thanks for your response. HOAs do sound like the worst.

I didn’t care about most of the games Microsoft showed. That isn’t an indictment of the E3 Briefing. A lot of them seemed like heavy hitters that just aren’t in my wheelhouse of like eight IPs/four genres I just regularly buy. I really liked that Microsoft focused on games. A few people got on stage to talk for a little bit. Otherwise, it was basically game after game after game which I appreciated despite being a non-press, non-investor person watching the stream at home because I didn’t have better, more interesting plans.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »
I am always amused, though, that Microsoft has fallen so long that they actually think purchasing Double Fine is a wise move. I'm not sure that company has had a successful game...ever.

For me, the thing that kills my interest in Microsoft's conference is the distinct lack of color and variety in what they show. Yeah, we had exceptions. We had games like Ori, DBZ, etc. but for the most part I just don't "get" Microsoft's particular type of games. Never have. I thought Sunset Overdrive might have signaled a change at Microsoft, which is why I HAVE an Xbox One, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

They even managed to make an unappealing and generic-looking Tales game just for Microsoft's stage.

I'm surprised we didn't get a major announcement from Capcom on Microsoft's stage. Resident Evil 3's remake is pretty much a known quantity at this point after how successful RE2's remake was, and Sony isn't having a show this year so you'd think it would be ripe for a reveal. I wonder if we're going to get a Sony Direct stealth dropped on us this week where some of these notable Japanese 3rd parties are going to show up.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
I need to watch the MS conference. Everyone seems ho-hum on it. I take it not much Next Gen?

Bethesda is up next.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 07:54:39 PM »
I need to watch the MS conference. Everyone seems ho-hum on it. I take it not much Next Gen?

Bethesda is up next.

Actually, Microsoft spent a long time sticking out their Next Gen member for all the world to see, but only for moment for a bunch of tech talk. "Project Scarlett."

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 07:57:14 PM »
The entire last segment was about Project Scarlett. Vaguely went over how powerful it will be (4x Xbox One X) and some other things like GDDR6 RAM and an SSD. Then, Halo infinite.

The conference itself was well organized, focused. There’s a reason I don’t own an Xbox One though. The games aren’t for me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »
So I'm not getting a new Evil Within. Instead, we're getting "Left Behind: Japan Edition" from Tango Gameworks in the form of "Ghostwire Tokyo." Meh.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 09:53:25 PM »
I need to see more of Ghostwire, is it open world?

Doom Eternal looked awesome of course.

Too much mobile stuff.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Well Devolver Digital was certainly whacked out again. A breath of fresh air!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 12:45:17 AM »
Catching up on the Xbox conference now.

The Outerworlds still looks promising,
The Overwatch Clone from Ninja theory seems like they could do something better.
CyberPunk 2077 looks like a great movie, I'm glad they made a game out of it.
RPG Time has a great look
Nice to see MS Flight Simulator come back
12 Minutes looks intriguing
Scarlett has GDDR6
Master Chief gonna Master Chief

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 12:48:22 AM »
I'm curious what's going on with Metal Wolf Chaos. Devolver made a big deal about it at the end of last year's E3 "conference", and they've said absolutely nothing about it in the year since.

Man, you know it's been a bad E3 when you find yourself hoping that the Square Enix press conference can salvage it to some extent.  I haven't seen a single new game announcement that was the least bit worthwhile.

On a side note, Final Fantasy 7 is scheduled now for March 2020. We don't know yet whether we're still looking at "Part 1/?" or whether they're actually putting effort into this like a complete game. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 01:55:36 AM »
Can confirm, wife and I have been trying to find a house to buy and the ones with HOAs have mostly had big red flags attached to them. We know what to look for from the HOA for my parents and grandparents HOAs. Imagine if the crazy quazi-political ranters on Twitter actually had some actual authority met with all those shift managers and middle managers who go overboard at any shred of true authority. It can be a drama infused nightmare.

Super torn on the Star Wars game. On one hand, it is a new single-player Star Wars game; on the other it is being funded by EA. Still in a wait and see mode for it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 09:52:06 AM »
The Xbox conference had plenty of games, but still felt like a disappointment because I expected more next gen talk, and showing of some next gen games. It was also too long.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »
I enjoyed the XBox show.  I don't, and never will own one but it was an enjoyable, well presented show which knew what it wanted to be.

Bethesda, as usual was a complete and utter disaster.  I mean, I am preconceived to mark it down because I absolutely loathe Bethesda (at least the developer portion of them).  Half the damn show was just mobile games.  They should have just skipped this year but they've got too arrogant for that.  They wheeled out Toddy right at the start and even he had next to nothing to talk (or lie) about. 

Don't get me wrong,  mobile games have their audience. But that audience in general doesn't even know that E3 exists. 

Haven't seen the PC show.  Watching that after work today.

Saw Ubisoft though.  That started really strong then fell down flat.  May as well rename the show to the Tom Clancy conference.  Watch Dogs 3 looked interesting.  Not for me, but I can see the appeal.  Though I think they may have over done the pommy slang a bit.  But that's minor.  Bam Bam lifted it towards the middle though. Gods and Monsters looked great though.  Definitely keeping an eye on that one.

Looking forward to Squeenix purely for Avengers.  It better not be console exclusive or I'm going to be very annoyed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:39:37 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 06:08:24 PM »
I know they couldn't because of contractual obligations with the city, but they really should have cancelled this year's E3. What an utter dud of a show so far. I can't think of a single worthwhile new announcement this year. It's blatantly obvious that no one can show anything because they're all working on next-gen hardware.

At this point, it's pretty clear that Nintendo's going to decisively have the best showing just by default. Every other company has fallen flat on their face. I think my favorite announcements have been the Yooka-Laylee 2.5D sequel and the Ghostbusters video game remaster? And both of THOSE were announced BEFORE E3.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 07:15:23 PM »
Microsoft has announced a slate of new Xbox 360 Backwards compatible games on Xbox One, another batch of original Xbox games on Xbox One, and...oh yeah, the backwards compatible initiative is over. Funny how THAT didn't make it into yesterday's conference!  :rolleyes:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/10/e3-2019-whats-next-xbox-backward-compatibility/

The ONLY games I wanted out of all this nonsense were Mechassaults 1 & 2, which Microsoft OWNS. Guess which 2 original Xbox games didn't make the final cut!

This E3 is just The Worst.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »
E3 2008:

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 07:52:18 PM »
E3 2008:

E3 2008 was bad, but in retrospect it's hilarious. E3 2019 has been worse than bad: it's been boring and pointless.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »
Everybody feels like they are holding back because MS and Sony are trying to keep their systems secret.