Author Topic: The Switch Dilemma: What becomes of handheld gaming?  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The Switch Dilemma: What becomes of handheld gaming?
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
On Switchmas Eve, the night before the Switch reveal, I offer you all a thought.

While few would argue that the DS and even the 3DS aren't capable of offering full-fledged, "console-sized" experiences on their screens, they have always relied on the wow factor of having an "enhanced port" of a past console game in their library- renowned titles that are finally able to be experienced on the go. However, the Switch changes this. While it's battery life and large size won't facilitate a role as a dedicated handheld machine (indeed, it's disappointing 3-hour battery life is likely the reason Nintendo touts the Switch as a home console first), the truth is, we'll soon be playing current-gen home console games on a handheld device.

Where does a rumored 3DS successor fit into this equation? Is having a second screen or some other gimmick give Nintendo the excuse to develop a cheaper handheld device for youngsters? Well, probably. The other truth is that, when console-sized games start popping up on a "Handheld," it has the potential to damage the perception of handheld-budgeted and designed titles should they appear on the same system. This is why I feel it is unlikely that handheld developers will want to jump to Switch. Likewise, does having an admittedly-limited handheld/console thing damage the sales potential of a device designed specifically for handheld play? Sure, parents might want to get their kids the newest Nintendo handheld, but will Switch cause confusion because of its dual role? Will kids want a system where they can't play the prettiest or more popular titles because they exist on Switch?

This is the dilemma of the Switch, and while variable pricing for handheld developers might allow their games to sell better on Switch, it seems highly unlikely. At the same time, you can't sell a handheld device where the biggest titles cost 60 bucks. To me, unless Nintendo gets extremely flexible in how they price games and also in how they market Switch to a larger audience (not just the post-college, unaffordable-apartment-living creatures they highlighted in the Switch reveal), this thing is simply not going to pull 3DS numbers, or even PS4 numbers. It could also end up damaging the handheld industry, which has been the lifeblood of he company during this era of Wii U suckage.

But that's my opinion. I wanted to ask y'all. What do you think of this Switch dilemma?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:55:08 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: The Switch Dilemma: What becomes of handheld gaming?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »
To me, the Switch is just a handheld that has a docking feature.  The home console aspect is a marketing spin on a cool feature that is similar to what any modern phone or tablet can do.  It will likely miss out on most current-gen ports after the initial period, unless sales are so good that third parties are willing to downport.  More compact versions with a better battery life and lower price will come.  This is the Switch Phat.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Interesting. I was coming at this from the other direction. I was thinking over the long term that as battery life and memory capacity improves, something like the Switch will be replacing consoles.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:35:06 PM »
...you know, I can't be arsed to put this in Handheld Discussion.

I really hope that this marks a shift similar to the one home computers did starting about 10-15 years ago where the big bulky things that hooked up to separate screens get replaced with more portable things for most people (desktops -> laptops -> tablets).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
I considered putting it in Handheld Discussion but seeing as Nintendo claims the Switch is a home console first...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
We should just leave it as is for now. We should see how this goes.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »
tablets are passe!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
Are we talking about handheld vs. console or more handheld-level budgets vs. console-level budgets? That is to say, are you really talking about a tier of development, perhaps the last vestige of the AA developer, being potentially put to risk by the Switch?

If so, I'm not sure the Switch is the cause of its endangerment, low/mid-tier was/is critically endangered/extinct even before the Switch. What will be more important for the survival of the dedicated dedicated-handheld developer is the development of a consumer base and business model that they can survive in. Variable pricing will need to be a part of that, a digital publishing/distribution system needs to be a part of that, mass-market acceptance from ages 2 to 82 also needs to be a part of that. And perhaps more critically, they need for their to be a cultural island within the overarching videogame world that doesn't require AAA budgets, but is looking for quality experiences that can be expressed through a lower polygon count, or dare I say it, 2D Sprites.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 12:13:41 AM »
Well Nintendo already had variable pricing on the Wii U with smaller titles like Captain Toad and Kirby: Rainbow Curse being $40 so it's not like they're going to charge $60 for everything on the Switch.  Even the $3DS has prices ranging between $30 to $50.  Yeah stuff like Breath of the Wild will be $60 for obvious reasons but that won't stop other titles from being $40 to $50 which isn't that much more then people are already used to paying on the 3DS.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:31:22 AM »
I think the Switch market will be more like the PC market. As will all future markets.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 01:07:23 AM »
I think I agree with Perm, asking whether this is a console or a handheld is a false dichotomy. This is something new, that there really isn't a great analog for, though PC probably is the closest comparison. Steam has indie stuff, midrange stuff, and big blockbuster titles.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 01:16:27 AM »
I think I agree with Perm, asking whether this is a console or a handheld is a false dichotomy. This is something new, that there really isn't a great analog for, though PC probably is the closest comparison. Steam has indie stuff, midrange stuff, and big blockbuster titles.
That's because lots of developers support Steam. Very few developers support Nintendo.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 02:00:29 AM »
That's more about how Steam is perceived as a platform than it is about how many developers it has.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 04:48:42 AM »
Nintendo has been moving in a Steam Direction. Eventually,  Nintendo will independently invent Steam.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
What's the possibility of Switch cannibalizing some of the larger handheld experiences you'd find on the 3DS, while a portable successor would focus on being an inexpensive small handheld that'd play more mobile phone style games or be more virtual console/small eshop game centric?

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »
I think the possibility is low, only because Nintendo can keep a unified ecosystem and release a cheap and compact Switch with the same capabilities in maybe a couple years.  Even cheap phones can already run relatively sophisticated 3D games.  I hope they don't split the market and instead take the PC-like approach of allowing games to run on a variety of hardware.  It does feel redundant with Steam, but Steam doesn't have Nintendo games.

I wonder if we will see a flood of Switch-like portable computers at some point, sort of like an NVidia shield with an integrated controller system, x86 processor, and Windows OS.  It is nice to see Nintendo leading the way again.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
Hey all, def been a while lol.  I'm out of hibernation. 

As for this specific topic, it has crossed my mind before.  Bringing the Switch to market is basically bringing the handheld market into console current gen standards.  I've always feared that doing so will mark the death of the portable game experience (smaller scaled games, those build for bite sized consumption, etc).  Looking at the initial launch lineup though has put me somewhat at ease. 

Nintendo seems to be fine setting different price points for some games depending on their scope.  This leads me to believe we may still see a market for traditional handheld titles.  Also, given the Switch is as powerful as a home console, I believe Indie titles will carry the torch further and completely dominate the traditional handheld market.  Indie games seem to be smaller in scale for the most part and always priced lower than your typical console release.  They should fall in line quite nicely within that handheld niche. 

All in all I am extremely excited for the switch and all it is bringing.  I may create a thread a little later on what I think Nintendo's roadmap will be for the Switch going forward.  They have so many ways they can take this but I digress, that conversation will be left for another thread lol. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 07:09:44 PM »
Welcome Back, Mannypon!

I don't think handheld gaming will go away as long as that's Japan's preferred way to play.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
I think ultimately Nintendo puts out a smaller version of Switch to appease that market segment, once they're ready to kill the 3DS.

And I think smaller games will be able differentiate themselves with smaller price points, but Nintendo will have to design the Switch eShop to properly market these games so they don't get lost.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.