Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537564 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6375 on: August 29, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »
Wait, nickmitch, you don't know about the Superman Moustache?

Perm, I actually didn't have an issue with the Steppenwolf design, and I'm not sure I like the Snyder concept art.  Steppenwolf is kind of just a dude in some armor, right?  Why overly complicate that? 

WB is not great at realistic humanoid CG. Certainly not as good as Disney or Sony. Making someone look human dips into the uncanny valley. Changing the character into more of a creature gets around this. Also, looks like something I would have drawn in 8th grade. A plus. It's like having one of Napoleon Dynamite's ligers as a character.

That makes sense.  With how Superman's face turned out, I'd expect some crazy uncanny valley if they designed him the otherway.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: August 29, 2020, 09:21:34 PM »
It also didn't make sense. Superman could have just had a beard in the movie. He had a beard before. He was not really dead as much as he was in a weird stasis, where logically his hair could grow.  It would have been easier to CGI on a beard on scenes where he didn't have one. Or have him wear a beard on reshoots. It's not like Henry Cavil never had a beard in Man of Steel.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: August 30, 2020, 10:23:54 PM »
X-Men: Apocalypse

I finally did this to myself. This installment has very few redeeming qualities. I don't know how they can cast an actor as talented and charismatic as Oscar Isaac then direct him into being as bland as possible. Apocalypse was so bad. I'm just waiting for Marvel to do the character correctly for in 10 years.

Two scenes stood out to me. First, when Scott officially introduces himself to Jean, a group of students gossip about her while one calls her a freak. Aren't y'all at this school for the same reason? Second, when Apocalypse makes his transference building toward the end, he takes time to make statues. I guess. Seems unnecessary.

It'll be some time before I muster the energy to watch X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Also waiting for Marvel to do this correctly, maybe for Avengers vs. X-Men.

EDIT: Clarity. I did not proofread this before posting.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:14:38 AM by Adrock »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: August 31, 2020, 10:26:38 PM »
For not being anything like Apocalypse I thought Oscar Isaac did a good job. He's such a good actor.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6379 on: September 02, 2020, 07:26:40 PM »
I think there are only 3 good X-men films (not counting the Wolverine or Deadpool films) which I guess that is almost half of them.  One could make an argument that there are 4 good movies, but if you do then I will counter which there are only 2 great X-men movies.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: September 02, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »
I think there are only 3 good X-men films (not counting the Wolverine or Deadpool films) which I guess that is almost half of them.  One could make an argument that there are 4 good movies, but if you do then I will counter which there are only 2 great X-men movies.
What are your three?

Not counting Deadpool, I liked X2: X-Men United, First Class, and Days of Future Past. The original is good, but it didn’t age well. I wouldn’t call it bad; it’s just harder to watch 20 years later. I got three to four so I’m with you. It feels like there are more of these movies.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6381 on: September 02, 2020, 09:23:55 PM »
X2 United, First Class, and the Original and Days of Future Past are the 4 "good movies". With X2 United and First Class being great films. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6382 on: September 02, 2020, 09:30:23 PM »
I am willing to accept a movie that has aged poorly as still being good.  The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still one of the best comic book movies ever made, and X-Men works up until Magneto's silly scheme.  It would have worked as a story, better if Magneto looked at storm and just said, "Well, if mutation does stick, then at least those leaders can hurt us anymore."  Showing himself to equally the problem. 

As for the movie count, I thought there were more too.  But mainline movies there are still only like 7 movies...so still almost half of the movies were good.  I guess that is Star Trek and James Bond level consistency. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: September 03, 2020, 01:26:58 AM »
X-Men works up until Magneto's silly scheme.  It would have worked as a story, better if Magneto looked at storm and just said, "Well, if mutation does stick, then at least those leaders can hurt us anymore."  Showing himself to equally the problem.
I thought that was his plan. Make all humans into mutants, starting with world leaders. That way, everyone would be mutant or rather, in a way, no one would be a mutant. Even if the mutated humans die like Senator Kelly, no more dumb humans. 🤷â€â™€ï¸

Feel free to correct me. I haven't seen the original X-Men in forever.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: September 03, 2020, 02:50:58 AM »
The ones I like are First Class and Days of Future Past. Not too fond of the others.

plot twist Covid gives you Mutant powers.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6385 on: September 03, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »
Adrock:  It was, except that he doesn't talk about not caring if they die.  He still believes he is going to change the world by making all the world leaders now have the same struggle as mutants...except that if they aren't real mutants but forced mutants it isn't the same plight. 

I think showing the Magneto understood the risk of death and went with his plan knowing it would most likely fail...showing that cold conviction with words is important.  Just having him say, are you sure you saw what you saw?  or something like that wasn't enough. 

On a separate note, I read the Demon Bear Saga again to prepare for the New Mutants movie...and I fully understand why the movie is getting bad reviews...and why it should have worked...the story is a perfect story for a movie if it was written right.  First, trapping them into the hospital like the hospital and workers is evil takes the set piece of the original story of being trapped in a hospital protecting a fallen comrade away.  The core setup is wrong.  And it is tragic because the hospital works so well in the original comic book story.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: September 06, 2020, 08:33:47 PM »
Happy Happy Joy Joy: The Ren & Stimpy Story

This is a decent documentary. TL;DW: John Kricfalusi is a ****.

Bill & Ted Face the Music

It's dumb, but good dumb. I put it on to unwind. I'll never watch it again which applies to the first two which I haven't seen in like 25 years. They should leave well enough alone and not make another sequel. The ending is good, fitting. There's one really good joke in this movie (Bill and Ted's second visit to one of their future selves; it involves a gun).

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: September 30, 2020, 01:41:04 PM »
The Old Guard - A surprisingly decent Netflix movie with an interesting conceit. The only thing that stands out is the "location problem" when movies film in a major city.

Towards the end of the film they park a car outside an office block in the City of London (the City of London is itself inside London, but only a square mile wide) and leave it and go upstairs. No other people, no other cars, no other traffic seen. When they leave no other traffic or people is seen until after they leave when all the extras suddenly pop out from around the sides.

1 - That car would have had hundreds of parking tickets on it by the time they got back to the car.
2 - Parking that car on a two lane road in the City would have caused a massive traffic jam going back miles (having seen a fight in the middle of the road last week, this is very likely)
3 - It was clearly a workday if dozens of people appear in business clothing, meaning that, in pre-2020 at least, that street would have been packed and police would have been there before they got downstairs.

It's the little things that throw me out.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: September 30, 2020, 04:41:48 PM »
I watched a movie last night where three old white guys spent 90% of the time yelling at each other mostly incoherently.  It was terrible and I would not recommend.  Somehow, there's already two sequels and a spin-off slated.

I know folks complain about Michael Bay special effects, but I was to the point I was praying we'd get a huge explosion or something during the movie.  It was just bad.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: October 01, 2020, 12:06:51 AM »
I saw that too. An embarrassment of a production.
Can't believe they plan to make more. All involved should probably just retire and not plan to pursue a career doing this anymore.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: October 01, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
Saw as well. To paraphrase a friend of mine "I can't believe they cast a child and a moron as the leads in this film". A shame the production studio can't bother finding some decent talent for their films.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: October 01, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
What movie are y’all talking about? I’m having trouble putting the clues together. 🤷â€â™€ï¸

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: October 02, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
I just realized you guys were talking about the presidential debate. 🤦â€â™€ï¸

I didn’t watch it because I hate-watched the last four seasons of the show it was based on. I read the plot summary online instead.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: October 02, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »
I'm sorry but that earns a new title and signature.  ;D
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: October 02, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »
We don't talk about politics on here.  That's forbidden.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: October 02, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
We all know that word is derived from 'poli' the Greek word for many, and 'tics' which are blood sucking insects. So we can't talk about Many Blood Sucking Insects.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: October 24, 2020, 06:50:40 PM »
Borat: Subsequent Movie Film

OMG, I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in quite a long time.
The first half of this movie was killing me. We were all laughing the majority of the time.
The second half, while still funny, wasn't quite on the same level for some reason.... It might be because we kept taking breaks (we were watching on the projector in my back yard -"Home Theater.).

Also there was one scene in the trailer that seemed kinda funny, but was even funnier once put into context. The scene at the doctors office, where the audience has the same "WTF" expression as the doctor out of context in the trailer, is now literally laughing your ass off once you realize the context of the situation.

Highly recommended to watch with friends. maybe even slightly elevated... or at least relaxed and in a mood to laugh.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: October 24, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »
I agree that the first half was better than the second half. I got sort of taken out of the movie because of the camera angles. Part of Borat is a lot of people are marks getting sucked into his candid camera gags. But when the camera angles keep changing in ways to move the narrative like a regular movie then you know hey those are just actors in on the gag. There is more of that in the second half than the first. The first half is mostly marks.
It does pick up again in the last third of the movie.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: December 26, 2020, 07:59:24 PM »
Fantfourstick.  4/10 in 2020 dollars.  8/10 in 1990 dollars.

This movie wasn't quite as terrible as everyone made it out to be.  Sure, it's predictable, cliché, and doesn't do the source material justice, but neither did most 90s comic book movies.  If this script had come out in the 90s, I'm sure it would have done as well as any comic movie from that time period.  You may argue against the quality of comic book movies today, but, for the most part, they've upped the game and the expectations, something FOX just never got their head around with their later X-Men installments.  It's a shame, they helped paved the way for the modern super hero film, but they took an exit to a rest stop and just kinda stayed there.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6399 on: December 29, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
Soul

Pixar does it again.  Not sure what else to say.  It's a great film, lots of feels, good enough plot.  While I don't have a ton to say about it, but I highly recommend it.  Best film I saw today.

8.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.