Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1588446 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U - The Road to E3 - 5/11/13
« Reply #5325 on: January 19, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »
For the most part the consoles going into a contracted state wouldn't mean that we would get yearly hardware updates like phones do. Phones can get deal with getting updates that leave older hardware in the dust. Consoles however probably couldn't get away with this.

That's probably why were getting rumors of Microsoft having a small arm powered Xbox that only plays XBLA and Media Content alongside the proper Xbox successor.

Is think one of the reasons we probably wouldn't see nintendo come out with a subscription plan is they have none of the ground work laid.

Out of the three Microsoft has laid the most groundwork already having partnered up with a few of the major US cable companies. As well they have already been testing subsidiary models on Xbox's since may of last year and have already expanded it too various other outlets.

Also Nintendo isn't pushing an Entertainment Hub as hard as to a lesser extent Sony is and Microsoft does.

On another note anyone else annoyed that leaks are usually hardware related and never software besides bits and pieces.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:24:54 PM by shingi_70 »
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: January 19, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
There are a number of ways Nintendo could do upgrades on a contracted plan. Nintendo could make games that operate under different power standards. You could have a basic standard, an extra standard and a super standard. Each version of the hardware would display the game differently. For those wanting to retain old hardware and still want to get more power they can either offer some sort of external upgrade. Or if nintendo were to push LAN gaming they could get multiple boxes.

The reason why this would work better for a console than say a phone actually is because with the phone you can't make up the difference in software sales. The more people they have with hardware in their homes the more people they have buying games. For instance say you have someone who is paying just 19.99 a month to have a wii u in their home and then paying $20-30 a month for their online service. Thats $50 a month for Nintendo. Nintendo could set up a rent to own type payment arrangement where it would take 17 months to buy your hardware. If you made the price per month 14.50 a month than someone could pay off their console in 2 years. There could also be a credit for new game purchases. Say you buy a game. 10% of that game purchase could go towards paying off the console.  So if you were renting to own a console and you registered 70 games you would automatically own that console. If it was 20% per game it would be 35 games.  or say you payed the rent to own price for a year and bought 18 games(under 20% deal) then you would own the console.

I'm sorry i just started working for a cable/internet/phone provider. Lol it's got me thinking of all sorts of pricing schemes and future ways to do business. 
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: January 19, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
Ugh that sounds horrid, might as well buy a PC. Also that type of thinking wouldn't work on a console because their is no way to take into account what type of TV then user Has, also third party developers probably wouldn't look kindly too it.

Their is a big difference in offering a Wii U alongside a Wii mini style box than say having different configurations.

The big problem is their is no incentive for service providers to offer the Wii U. Their is a lot that would have to be changed which I don't think Nintendo is willing too do.

Credit for new game purchases sounds bad since their is no way barring DRM to ensure the person actually bought the game.

The other problem is that Nintendo just doesn't offer any thing that would be compelling to buy on contract and doesn't have the cost to justify it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
They could just do PlayStation Plus and make the service free games and discounts.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5329 on: January 19, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
Ugh, no if it's like PlayStation Plus. I want to actually be able to play the games even if I stop subscribing to it. I don't want to only be "renting" the games (which reminds me of the Sega Channel, where you got "free" games all the time, but you never actually owned the games because you lost access if you ended your subscription).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

« Reply #5330 on: January 20, 2013, 04:20:16 AM »
Time flies by so fast! It's already 2013! :) In 6 months it's finally time for another E3 Press Conference! I just can't wait for it...! I hope Nintendo will show a lot of games again, because last year's E3 was phenomenal. They just went on and on with games, and now I own most of them and I am so happy with the Wii U and my Nintendo 3DS! It's hard to play through so many games, I wish I can finish most of them this year.

I want to make one simple and safe prediction for E3 2013, I think the newest Mario Kart game will be shown for Wii U. Oh man, I can't wait for that title. The Mario Kart series is one of my favorites of all time! If you have friends to play it with you, you will just have a good time! :D

"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone." - Satoru Iwata

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: January 20, 2013, 08:00:25 AM »
Meh while I like Mario Kart was hoping for Nintendo to build a team of acquire abtea, to make an F-zero equivalent to Forza and Gran Turismo.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: January 21, 2013, 01:27:09 AM »
Ugh, no if it's like PlayStation Plus. I want to actually be able to play the games even if I stop subscribing to it. I don't want to only be "renting" the games (which reminds me of the Sega Channel, where you got "free" games all the time, but you never actually owned the games because you lost access if you ended your subscription).

Considering you're only paying a whopping $50 a year for probably 5-10 times that amount in freely-accessible games (depending on your preferences & your buying habits) and game discounts (for games you can keep), I think you're being more than a little entitled to think you should be able to keep them.

You might as well start bitching that you won't pay for anything that's download-only, as you won't be able to access those games if those services go down (or you decide to stop paying for internet access) and you delete your original file.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:32:04 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5333 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »
No, because if you download something and delete it, it's your own fault if you can't get it back.

As for PS+, I don't like it being presented as if you are actually owning those games. Sony is merely letting u rent those games. It would be much better if they just gave out 1 free games per month (that u get to keep forever) rather than frequent "free" games (that u can only play while you are a paying subscriber).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »
Where is it presented like you're actually owning the games? They're pretty up-front about the fact that you lose them if you stop subscribing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5335 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »
I guess it's more with gaming "journalists" and podcasters, who talk about these games as if you actually own them (and not just renting them).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
Resident Evil Revelaitons coming to Wii U, 360, and PS3 on May 21

For $50. Lulz, no thanks.

Depending on extras (if any), I may get this when it's $20. If Capcom allows for a Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate-esque connectivity with the 3DS game I already have (even if they have to patch it), I would consider this sooner.

And didn't Chris Svensson say Capcom wasn't interested in late ports to Wii U? LAFFO!!1

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5337 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
Depending on extras (if any), I may get this when it's $20.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=40406.msg776207#msg776207

Enhanced lighting effects, additional content including a terrifying new enemy, extra difficulty mode and improvements to Raid Mode such as new weapons, skill sets and the opportunity to play as Hunk and other characters from the series

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: January 22, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »
Play as other characters from the series including Hunk, eh? Give me Jill's RE1 costume and you have yourself a deal, Capcom.

For $20.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Yeah this isn't a $50 game now.  I'm not going to reward this practice.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5340 on: January 22, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
It's worth $50 if you don't have it on 3DS. However, there's no way this has enough extra content for double dippers to justify spending more than they originally did.

In any case, I'm glad Raid Mode seems to be getting the bulk of enhancements with this port as it was far and away the best part of the game. In comparison, the campaign was okay, borderline mediocre. Raid Mode was just super addictive. How I hope I can import my save file. A girl can dream...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: January 22, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
I think Revelations was a great game, and have no problem with them charging $50 for the upgraded HD version.

Besides, it's bound to drop in price sooner rather than later.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: January 22, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »
I'd pay $50 to play it with pointer controls.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: January 22, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
So what are you guys expecting in the Nintendo Direct?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
maybe they've decided the time is right to show that game by Retro...or Nintendo has Mario or Zelda games ready in preview form and the Retro thing will come at e3. Or some other new franchise or IP. Or not **** that we care about.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: January 22, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
I'd pay $50 to play it with pointer controls.
I expect it to be there though I can't imagine Revelaitons will be as good without a touchscreen. Cycling through the grenades and weapons using the touchscreen was very intuitive.

At worst, I could possibly justify paying $40 for this. I just can't pay more for another version of a game I already have. Based on the trailer, it is certainly even prettier.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »
Raid Mode is what interests me about the game, so if that has more content in the Wii U version then I'll wait for that instead.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
I'll probably get it since I haven't played the 3DS version, but its funny how Capcom went all original with us a couple of days ago, and now this.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: January 22, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
Sorry to break it to you guys but this is actually GREAT news.. for me, because I'm (one of the few?) that don't own the game or a 3DS. If there's confirmation of pointer controls, I'm sold on day 1. If no pointer controls, not a day 1 purchase (too many games I still haven't played from launch) but a serious consideration. I don't think I'd necessarily wait for a price drop, but at the rate I'm playing these games, it's likely to happen that way.

Either way, great great news (for me).
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: January 22, 2013, 09:17:18 PM »
I dont have the game either, but i don't have a wii u either. However, i can't see this being bad news because it means Capcom is making a resident evil game for Wii U, which even if it is mediocre could make future resident evil games on the system more likely.