Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1548516 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4475 on: November 05, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
The narrative wasn't the only thing wrong with Avatar. At no time did I ever believe in the world. I was visually bored knowing everything on screen is computer generated. It felt no different from watching a very long videogame cutscene from the 90's with people "Acting" in it. One of the reasons Gravity blew me away because despite being virtually almost all CGI, I didn't spot it. I knew it had to be CGI but it was so convincing it felt real. For sections of it I thought they did an Apollo 13 with the Vomit Comet. Nope so wrong. That is why Gravity is an amazing piece of work. Gravity has interesting camera work that Avatar with all it's technical wizardry and money didn't have. Gravity had passion. Avatar felt like JC was bored with with film making and ended up pulling a George Lucas Lite.

Also Sam Worthington is useless hack of an "actor". He along with a large crop of current white, slightly overbuild, charisma-less, almost clones should be banished from the screen and the idiots who hired them a swift kick in the teeth.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: November 05, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
Also Sam Worthington is useless hack of an "actor". He along with a large crop of current white, slightly overbuild, charisma-less, almost clones should be banished from the screen and the idiots who hired them a swift kick in the teeth.

And in steps Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: November 05, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »
If ST: Into Darkness is any indication, the Americans have no idea how to use Cumberbatch. But that might be a side effect of them no knowing how to make a Star Trek movie anymore. While I am not fond of the Avengers movie, Tom made for an excellent villain for a mostly boring cast of super heroes to fight. Even if it only gave us this.

I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: November 05, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
I forgot Tom Hardy too.

But its very true in how Cumberbatch was misused. It was great to see him in a high budget movie but the guy can act. Let him.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: November 09, 2013, 01:44:58 AM »
Ender's Game:

Eh. Rather boring, outside of training battles (the ones in the sphere, not the CG ones).

I hoped they'd make adaptation better than rather mediocre book. Nope, they did it to the letter.

Training scenes made me want to rewatch better space sci-fi movies that had better training montages, namely Starship Troopers and Soldier (love that movie).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: November 09, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
Ender's Game:

Eh. Rather boring, outside of training battles (the ones in the sphere, not the CG ones).

I hoped they'd make adaptation better than rather mediocre book. Nope, they did it to the letter.

Training scenes made me want to rewatch better space sci-fi movies that had better training montages, namely Starship Troopers and Soldier (love that movie).
So what your telling me is that they made the Ender's game movie that everyone wanted.  Because that sounds like the book with switching training out for the game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: November 10, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
Movie Day again. Some quick impressions from my phone, in the order seen.

Gravity (A+)
-what an intense movie, but I couldn't help but think of how UN physical Sanda Bullocks character was. nothing going her way, unable to get a grip or hold on.

Thor: The Dark World (B++)
-Good, but not Great. I Really liked it, and Loki was humorous. My second favorite movie of the day.

Carrie (B-)
-It was good, and it may even be better than the original, but Chloe Moretz kept flaring her nostrils and it was kinda distracting.

Escape Plan (C+)
It was entertaining for what it was, but Sly & Arnold are old. They need to accept it and stop trying so hard to relive their movie careers from 20+ years ago.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: November 23, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
So i just saw the Doctor Who anniversary today. I caught it live. In the cinema, in 3D.

This was a great way to really break free from some of the Russell T Davies crutches, and allow for some new enemies to potentially reappear and extend the 13 regeneration limit .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:28:35 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: November 25, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »
I just watched the original ending of The Little Shop of Horror

10/10

such a better ending than the theatrical released version.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: November 26, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »
That is an awesome ending for a movie.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: November 27, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
Far more expensive! Ironically one of the best kaiju scenes ever was kept from us.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: November 28, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
I don't usually care about the Oscars at all, but this year I'm really rooting for Stringer Bell.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4487 on: December 09, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
Last 3 movies I saw:

Thor 2: Better than the first. Less time on Earth (Midgard), less Natalie Portman, good ending.  Loki still kinda steals the show.  7.5/10

Hunger Games 2: Again, an improved sequel. There was so much less shaky-cam than I remember from the first.  The film is really good at making characters I hate, but sometimes falls flat with making me like Katniss (certainly not always, especially at the end).  Saw it in IMAX (2D), and thought it looked great.  Looking forward to next one.  9/10

Out of the Furnace: This wasn't a bad movie per se, it's just hard to recommend.  It takes the movie so long to get to the actual plot.  Many scenes feel drawn out or pointless, and half the movie seems focused on portraying Christian Bale's character, who I was still kinda "meh" on.  5.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: December 09, 2013, 07:57:30 PM »
Have you read the Hunger Games books?

I enjoyed them, but I'll be honest - I didn't always like Katniss in the books either.  She doesn't come off as a likable character sometimes.

Maybe it's because I'm male and therefore genetically inclined towards disliking strong women portrayed in media... but she occasionally seems whiney and wishy-washy and often seems to be wondering what to do when she needs to be taking action.  Which is at odds with her character at other times, when she jumps into action without forethought.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4489 on: December 09, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
I haven't read the books (lazy), but I too feel she's pretty wishy-washy.  I can appreciate the dilemma she's in: forced to be a symbol/leader in a revolution she'd rather not be apart of and even how she initially doesn't like Peeta, who now seems to be the only one she can relate to, whereas Gale (who she loves?) keeps being cold towards her.  It's just that, there are awkward moments she's in which would be funnier if not for the overall gravity of their situation.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: December 10, 2013, 03:43:02 AM »
I watched the hunger games a few weeks back and noticed two major points:

1 - The film felt like it was treading water until it get can get to book three (and films three and four).
2 - Jeffrey Wright's character was 100% exposition. He doesn't appear until very late in the film, and the first thing he says telegraphs his use and general purpose as to "finding the flaws". He has absolutely no other use beyond that. Soon as he said his first line i knew to ignore everything else except for scenes with him in it prominently.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: December 15, 2013, 01:01:52 AM »
I meant to get it watched before the Crosstawk episode came out, but I just got around to watching Eyes Wide Shut tonight. I loved it, definitely echo everything the guys brought up.

I've watched a few of Kubrick's movies in the past (Shining, 2001, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove), but not for a while. I might have to make a point of going through his filmography here soon.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4492 on: December 15, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »
I watched it last night too. Gonna listen to the episode of BOP on the drive to work tomorrow.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: December 23, 2013, 12:59:46 AM »
Anchorman 2 - not as good as the first...almost a complete rehash. It has some funny scenes, but a lot of them are in the TV commercials. It does get pretty ridiculous towards the end. I would still recommend it if you liked the first one, but just lower your expectations first.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4494 on: December 23, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

As someone whose entire history with the Lord of the Rings universe is seeing Return of the King in theatres... I didn't expect this much action. Also, nice job breaking it heroes.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: December 24, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »
^ i think first Hobbit movie was better.

Desolation of Smaug just felt pointless -- lots of wandering about and a million of side-plots that of course are all left unresolved because Peter Jackson somehow made three movies out of the book that will take less time to read than either of his movies.

Gandalf's quest and Kate+handsome dwarf+Legolas sideplot felt especially extraneous and stupid.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: December 24, 2013, 02:24:42 AM »
Parker I enjoy most Jason Statham movies on some level, but this was complete misstep in an adaptation of one of Richard Stark's Parker novels.

The characterization was completely off, the motivations made no sense, and the writing tone was completely off.

Payback with Mel Gibson is a better Parker movie.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: December 24, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

As someone whose entire history with the Lord of the Rings universe is seeing Return of the King in theatres... I didn't expect this much action. Also, nice job breaking it heroes.

How was Anchorman 2?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: December 26, 2013, 02:30:41 AM »
Anchorman 2 was funny, but the plot was terrible and much of the humor was just racism and sex jokes.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: December 26, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »
^ i think first Hobbit movie was better.

Desolation of Smaug just felt pointless -- lots of wandering about and a million of side-plots that of course are all left unresolved because Peter Jackson somehow made three movies out of the book that will take less time to read than either of his movies.

Gandalf's quest and Kate+handsome dwarf+Legolas sideplot felt especially extraneous and stupid.

I got the impression that those massive tangents were to setup LOTR.