Author Topic: Khushrenada's Song of the Day.  (Read 35780 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Khushrenada's Song of the Day.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 09:32:13 PM »
Sticking with the 80s, here's what might be another lesser known gem: "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz. I don't really have much to say on this one. It's just a solid bit of 80s Pop that I really liked when I heard it the first time on the radio. I made a note of the song title and artist to later download it off Kazaa. Remember those days? Even though the song came out in '88, it reminds me more of my last year of high school and early days of Adulthood since that's when I first heard it and then had it in my music collection of ripped CDs. Perhaps it will be something you enjoy as well. Song of the Day!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2022, 11:46:26 AM »
Whelp. Fell a bit behind on posting here already as life beckons for me to be doing other things besides posting here. Why can’t NWR hire me as a content creator so my job was just posting on these forums?  Anyways, my plan was to go back to posting another song from Hunting High and Low as I continue to highlight the album. Hopefully you’ve taken my advice to give it a chance and listen to it. And if not then maybe some of these songs being highlighted will win you over to it. Today’s Yesterday’s song is “Love is Reason” a bit more fast-paced and jaunty than perhaps the other two I’d chosen earlier. Get ready for more A-ha action when I post the actual Feb. 18 song choice.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2022, 08:48:49 PM »
Get ready for more A-ha action when I post the actual Feb. 18 song choice.

Yes, yes, my apologies. I'm sorry. I can tell you've been waiting for me to get back to this thread by... all the posts... you've made...

Moving on, the fourth song from the album Hunting High and Low that I was going to highlight this week was "The Sun Always Shines on T.V.". It's a bit more of a bombastic song once it gets going. Magne Furuholmen vocals are wailing and shouting in earnest. The music seems to alternate between feelings of danger with high pop rock energy. I love the mood created by the instrumental portion from 1:19 - 1:33 which gets a refrain here and there as the song continues. "Give all your love to me!" is a part of the lyrics in the song and I feel I've done plenty of that this week as I highlight this CD.

But to wrap up, I'll give you a quick breakdown of how I'd rank the songs on this album from best to worst:

Hunting High and Low
Take On Me
The Blue Sky
The Sun Always Shines on T.V.
Living a Boy's Adventure Tale
Love Is Reason
Here I Stand and Face the Rain
I Dream Myself Alive
And You Tell Me
Train of Thought

Of those ten tracks, I really enjoy those top 8 while I'm so-so on the last two. "And You Tell Me" is a song under two minutes but it's more like a lullaby. Pretty soft and not really anything that catchy to it. Its sound fits in with most of the other songs so it doesn't stick out that much but it doesn't really stand out either. On the other hand, "Train of Thought" is the song that seems to stick out the most from the rest of the album. Again, I don't really hate it but I never play the album because I really want to hear it again. It's a song that sometimes I'll listen to and sometimes I'll skip over on the album depending on my mood but maybe you'd think differently if you took my advice to check this album out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 09:13:53 PM by The President »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2022, 09:12:14 PM »
As for Feb. 19, my plan at the time was to continue the 80's theme and go with a sort of "classic". As I continue to try and expand my musical knowledge, I had been thinking about big artists whose output I'm not too familiar with. (And that list is probably very long.) For instance, I've recently subscribed to Apple Music. They were highlighting Taylor Swift's version of her album Red so I gave it a listen and have finally joined so many other women in listening to a Swift album. ;) However, another artist that occurred to me was Madonna. Sort of like the Pet Shop Boys, she's been putting out albums for 4 decades now yet I've never listened to any of them despite always having enjoyed many of her big 80s hits. As such, I've currently gotten up to her last album of the 80s and 4th overall that she's released which the Like A Prayer album. However, along the way, I was bugged because there was this one song that I will always turn up the radio for whenever it comes on but hadn't seem to come across it on any of the albums so far.

It turns out that is because she never put it on one of her albums at the time. It was featured on the re-issue of her second studio album Like a Virgin outside North America. However, the only way to have found or bought the song for a long time if you were a fan was through one of her Greatest Hits/Compilation albums or from the soundtrack of the movie she used it for Desperately Seeking Susan. I guess it's a good strategy to help ensure the soundtrack got good sales but not so great if that's the only song you want to hear on it.

If you haven't guessed it yet, the song is "Into The Groove" by Madonna. Currently, it is still the song I'd rank as my favorite of hers out of all the songs I've listened to so far but maybe that will change. I've found myself listening to a couple of the albums so far over and over again because of some new stuff I've now heard on them and they've begun to play on my brain but, in the end, I come back to this one and just want to start dancing and groovin'.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 11:41:34 PM »
As for the week of Feb. 20 - 26, well, let's just say this forum software is so old it was still on the Julien Calendar so we've finally got it upgraded to the Gregorian Calendar and thus had to jump ahead as though that week never even happened at all. Of course, this still leaves Feb. 27 and 28. I do have another album I wanted to highlight this week but I'm going to procrastinate some more and try to do it tomorrow since it's late and I've posted quite enough this evening. Try to contain your disappointment.