Author Topic: Blizzard to develop for DS?  (Read 16330 times)

Offline ABlueflameA

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Blizzard to develop for DS?
« on: July 16, 2005, 02:42:16 PM »
Right now, Blizzard is polling its fans to try to find out if they would be supportive of Diablo 2 on DS/PSP as well as Starcraft on DS (no PSP for this one!).  I, for one, have put 100's of hours into each of these games, and if they appeared on DS using WiFi...it would/could be incredibly detrimental to, well, everything else in my life.

Here's a link to the story
http://dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=462

What do ya'll think?
-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE: Blizzard to develop for DS?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 03:53:21 PM »
I'm glad there are no PSP plans for Starcraft, that would make NO sense.

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
RE:Blizzard to develop for DS?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 05:00:34 PM »
Starcraft on DS?? If that were to come true, it would be a sure fire reason for me to go out and buy myself a DS

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 05:16:34 PM »
I LOVE Diablo 2.. but Diablo 2 on the go? I don't know, that game really needs the battle.net compotent to be fun. StarCraft on the DS, even by yourself, would be fan-freaking-tastic though.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 04:44:20 AM »
I'm more in support of Bioware and/or Obsidian Entertainment giving us an RPG.  Diablo 2?  What about Diablo 3?  Diablo 2 sounds lazy.  Fun but you just click 24/7.  Old RTS are an exception though.  New would be better.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 07:58:24 AM »
How about a resounding YES.

Starcraft on the DS? Diablo 2 on the DS?

...is this a dream? I'm going to wake up soon, aren't I.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 09:32:35 AM »

Diablo 2 sounds lazy. Fun but you just click 24/7

LoL, as opposed to Bioware games where you click once and the game plays itself
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 10:07:29 AM »
I think of Diablo as crack, Its not really a good game but you cant stop once you start. The easiest way I realized this was when I found out I was just simply not having fun leveling up a character, just feeling frustrated, but still I couldnt stop leveling.

I wonder how such a click based game as Diablo is could work with the psp...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 11:36:30 AM »
The same way Diablo 1 worked on the PSX, I would suppose.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 03:58:24 PM »
did it suck? Im going to presume it did.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 04:38:16 PM »
I don't know. I didn't own a PSX at the time, and I haven't heard anything about it, really.  I just know they did release a PSX version. So...there is a precedent for non "point and click" controls.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 06:02:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa

Diablo 2 sounds lazy. Fun but you just click 24/7

LoL, as opposed to Bioware games where you click once and the game plays itself

At least you had the wink.  
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 06:16:11 PM »
You'd be better just either buying or downloading Diablo 1 on the PC instead.  The game sported a much lower resolution and the poor game NEEDS mouse control.  Now the resolution issue may be fixed somewhat (unless it's the DS), and I'm quite sure multiplayer will be better (PSX Diablo had two players on the same screen at all times, no branching off.), but the omission of mouse control is gonna suck hard.  I'm not gonna say it won't work but either way they go, there's gonna have to be some changes to make it happen for either handheld.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 12:02:46 AM »
mantidor: I'd recommend you stay away from MMORPGs, they are the way you describe, no fun but addictive, just ten times worse because they are engineered for that single purpose, Diablo was at least attempted to be fun.

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 05:19:13 AM »
Personally, I found both Starcraft and Diablo II to be e-crack.  However, I would like to see Starcraft on DS more so than I would Diablo II.  I think that the multiplayer would be better suited to the DS as well as the graphics and overall gameplay.  I just cant see the DS as being strong enough to play D2 in high enough resolution, or with good enough graphics (to prevent massive amounts of death in Hell mode).  Starcraft should be much easier.  Brood wars, of course, would be a much needed inclusion, and maybe some new units...please Blizzard, pretty pretty please?

I think I've devoted 100's of hours to each of these games, and for a new caste in D2 or a few new units in Starcraft, I'd buy them in half a second for DS.

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 06:11:12 AM »
Hopefully starcraft isnt a port of starcraft 64, while it was a good game, it was very ugly and porting big ugly sprites onto a small screen isnt pretty

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 06:36:12 AM »
I hated Starcraft, after playing Total Annihilation Starcraft felt like going back into the stone age. What idiot designs the *craft GUIs at Blizzard? And why are all Blizzard strategy titles ripoffs of the Warhammer games (Starcraft-> Space Marines vs. Eldar vs. Tyranids) and their RPGs ripoffs of D&D?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 07:11:32 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
And why are all Blizzard strategy titles ripoffs of the Warhammer games (Starcraft-> Space Marines vs. Eldar vs. Tyranids)...

Actually, I would say StarCraft = Terran: Marines, Zerg:Aliens, Protos: Predator. The setting is right, and it's not like this is made secret with some of the quotes either = "Watch out, we are in for some chop" etc.

... and their RPGs ripoffs of D&D?

I don't see any direct connection with Diablo and D&D at all, unless you are just citing the general time period.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 08:13:19 AM »
Arbok: Have you looked at Eldar and Tyranid tropps? They look EXACTLY like Zerg and Protoss. The Tyranids are controlled by the hivemind, they have Zerglings, Hydralisks and much more. Their head shapes are much closer to that of the Zergs than the Aliens' (the headplate goes down to the brows, the face is more articulated than an Alien's). The Eldar use warpgates (same architectural style even) and all that fun stuff and also have that elongated cranium shape the Protoss have, never mind their troops actually have attacks like the Psi Tempest. Also, Warcraft was created after they didn't get permission from Games Workshop to make a Warhammer game. Of course they didn't directly rip off Warhammer because that would be illegal so they created a clone with enough difference to be legally clean and enough similarity to stay recognizable.
Never mind the Terran Marines in Starcraft look nothing like the colonial marines in AVP, they're much closer to the Space Marines. Note the large shoulderpads and how the armor goes behind the head, including the large backpack. Different helmet but overall similar style. UT2003 ripped the Space Marines off for their Juggernauts, as did tons of other games.

Wikipedia says the Tyranids were inspired by the Aliens but the Zerg implement changes Games Workshop added, like the long claws and more articulated faces, plus the hivemind. AFAIK the Aliens don't operate as a large, coordinated group, they are only bound to the queen.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 09:36:11 PM »

Arbok: Have you looked at Eldar and Tyranid tropps? They look EXACTLY like Zerg and Protoss.

Hmm... seems I was very mistaken. Can't help but notice the design similarties between the two. Still don't see the Diablo "ripoff" part, though.

Never mind the Terran Marines in Starcraft look nothing like the colonial marines in AVP, they're much closer to the Space Marines.

They look nothing like the StarCraft marines, that comment was just intented on the basic aspect of the humans vs. aliens vs. predators triangle, which is what I have mostly heard people comment in regards to StarCraft inspiration. Although no one around here has heard of, let alone has played, Warhammer 4k so that would likely account for that.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 10:36:38 AM »
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but does anyone know what happened after the poll? Did Blizzard pledged for Startcraft on the DS or did it just turned to nothing?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 10:38:29 AM »
Perhaps they've started something but didn't want to tell the public yet?

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 10:40:05 AM »
I sure hope so.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »
With Nintendo set to announce how Wi-fi is going to work next month, maybe they'll announce something relating to Blizzard? Putting Battle.net support on the DS would be a slam dunk. As mentioned earlier, their games are e-crack pure and simple. Barring any port problems, DS networks may be busy for years to come...

My question is how would they fit the cinematics Blizzard's famous for?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 10:14:52 PM »
They'd do them in realtime, the FMVs will be limited to a few seconds at most. People don't buy Blizzard games for the cutscenes.