Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. U  (Read 27583 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. U
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
New Super Mario Bros. U isn't compatible with the Wii U Pro Controller. Seems like an odd omission.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
Even in multiplayer?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
I didn't even bother saying anything in this thread because I had a "been there, done that" feel about this game. After reading some reviews I'll probably be getting this now. Its been mentioned the game feels a lot like Super Mario World.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
Even in multiplayer?
Not sure, but it sounds like a no-go. Ars Technica's review states:
One control note: I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't use the Xbox 360-style Wii U Pro Controller to play the game. Holding the GamePad was comfortable enough, even for long periods, but using it requires keeping the touchscreen on, which drains the battery more quickly. You can play with a regular Wii Remote, but that means shaking the controller to do spin jumps, which is much more annoying than just tapping a shoulder button.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »
Iwata Asks!

Dude wanted a single world map when no one else did. He made sure it happened and we are all glad for it!

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/nsmbu/0/0
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »
I'm not a fan of Super Mario World, but I like that a guy with that kind of passion and creative drive is in charge of this (sub)franchise. Everything we're hearing makes it sound like this game is the same big jump over the Wii game that that game was over the original DS game, and that's a really good sign for the future of the team.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2012, 04:56:18 AM »
So I picked this up at Old Navy at midnight on BF.  I got my first game for the Wii U.  Now all I need is the console to play it on. :)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
I didn't even bother saying anything in this thread because I had a "been there, done that" feel about this game. After reading some reviews I'll probably be getting this now. Its been mentioned the game feels a lot like Super Mario World.

I was in the same boat but I kept hearing good things and camparisons to SMW. I don't know why people are so divided between SMB3 and SMW, I thought they were both fantastic games, and personally I liked the single, large, overworld map of SMW and was glad to see it return. It just makes the game feel bigger getting to see everything at onece, and it lends itself well to the miiverse implementation. I recently finished world 2 but from the map I can see comments posted in worlds not yet reached, it's exciting to see what I might be getting myself in to!

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Shredder565

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
finally finished it.

NSMB was a waste of time. way too easy. 
I remember enjoying Wii Mario. 
New Super Mario Brothers 2 was a fun romp, with coins once again meaning something other than one ups.
Super Mario Land 3D S was a nice little touch.

The Mario Galaxy games are a tad annoying due to visual shifting, but also a fun romp.

As for Mario U? thought it was the best of the bunch.  I even died a few times getting past some of the levels, something that hasn't happened in the past games.   and that frustration makes it fun :)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »
New Super Mario Brothers 2 was a fun romp, with coins once again meaning something other than one ups.
When have coins meant anything else other than 1-Ups?

Offline Shredder565

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
I dunno, I havn't felt the need to collect them as much as i used to ever since they where used as power ups in the galaxy games.  there you had coin totals of about 5 per level...

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
Can someone please tell me how to eat the last coin in Roy's castle. That's the rocky world.

Not only is that coin impossible to find I must have died on Roy like 10 times. There is no way Bowsee will be harder than that.

RomanceDawn

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
I'm on World 3 currently, and find myself both enjoying the game and disappointed at the same time.  For those people saying that this is a return to form a la Super Mario World, I have to disagree.  There are a couple of issues that have bugged me about every game in the New Super Mario series, and this game is no different:

1)  No indication of which levels have secret exits.

This issue was mentioned on the latest RFN, and Guillaume excused it by saying that Miiverse provides the hints that the level icons are missing.  This may be true for NSMBU, but it certainly wasn't true for NSMB or NSMB2 - so to act like Nintendo left that out intentionally because they knew Miiverse would fill that gap is giving them too much credit.  I think it just wastes the user's time forcing us to search all levels for secret exits and artificially pad the game length.

2)  Yoshi Limitation

This bugs me to no end - having Yoshi leave you at the end of the level is so frustrating.  In Super Mario World, you could take Yoshi into every level except for the castles, which in my opinion makes the game feel more varied and enjoyable.  Being able to keep Yoshi if you survive throughout the level with him was super rewarding and let you see other levels in new ways.

3)  No Flying

This is probably my biggest pet peeve - yes you can sort of float/move upward with the squirrel thing, but it's nowhere near as flexible as the cape that exists in Super Mario World.  I think this is just laziness on Nintendo's part, and I felt the same way about Super Mario 3D Land (bringing back the raccoon tail with no flying?  give me a break).  Being able to fly requires the level designers to accomodate that on every level, and made SMW feel like a larger game that was more enjoyable to explore.  I loved taking the cape into levels I had previously played and trying to fly into different corners to see if there were secrets there. 

All in all this isn't a bad game, but adding a better world map does NOT automatically bring NSMBU to the level of SMW....at least not in this gamer's eyes.  Would love to hear others' thoughts on this...

/rant

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
No extra indication for secret stages is one thing but the other 2 I have to disagree with.

Big Yoshi, no you can't take him everywhere, but you can take the baby Yoshi's. Yes Mario is carrying them, but they have abilities that can make levels easier or harder, plus they make swimming alot easier.

There is a P-Corn in the game. No we don't fly with just any normal means but the P is there and infinite flight is possible and absolutely thrilling on certain stages that are absolutely evil in their difficulty.

RomanceDawn

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »
Beat it for the second time, now with all golden coins collected ;D
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »
I see...I hadn't tried the P-corn yet...that's definitely a good addition.  I still feel like the cape struck a perfect balance between being able to fly anywhere and also requiring skill to keep that flight going.  It was a great enhancement to the flight from SMB3 and I've missed it in all subsequent games...

The Yoshi thing still bugs me, mainly because it just doesn't make sense...  Why take him away at the end of a stage other than just to annoy the player?  Shouldn't you be rewarded for being able to keep him with you to the end? 

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Quote from: Bizzy_Fatso
I think it just wastes the user's time forcing us to search all levels for secret exits and artificially pad the game length.

You think searching for secret exits is a waste of time? The whole point of Mario games is to explore the levels to find secrets. It's what makes the games enjoyable.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:04:09 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »
I'm almost finished with getting all Star Coins. I feel like it's been easier to get them here than in Mario Bros. Wii. The Star Road levels though are wicked when it comes to getting those Star Coins.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »
Quote from: Bizzy_Fatso
I think it just wastes the user's time forcing us to search all levels for secret exits and artificially pad the game length.

You think searching for secret exits is a waste of time? The whole point of Mario games is to explore the levels to find secrets. It's what makes the games enjoyable.

I see what you're saying, but for me looking for secret exits is a level above the normal poking around for star coins/hidden 1-Ups.  I want the secret exits to be hard to find/get to, not because they're hidden among any of the dozens of levels available to me, but because they're well designed and challenging to find even when I know which levels have them.  In my opinion, secret exits should be shown on the map, while hidden warps or secrets like that should not.  This was especially frustrating in the original NSMB, where you would miss whole worlds if you didn't find the secret exits - and they often weren't even cleverly hidden, but were just 'make it through the level with this stupid mini mario powerup' in nature.  Anyway...it's just my preference...I feel like Super Mario World nailed these things and Nintendo has unnecessarily tinkered with them to the detriment of the series.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »
YES. Exploring in Super Mario World is the best part of that game. Exploring in NSMB can be downright tedious.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
Was there an update to the game? now the balloons show little achievements like 99 lives