Author Topic: LostWinds - Mix of Okami, Knytt, and awesome! Get now!  (Read 34458 times)

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: LostWinds - Mix of Okami, Knytt, and awesome! Get now!
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2008, 08:30:53 PM »
I loe this game and I'm gonna be heartbroken when i complete it. At least I'm forewarned about the length so it won't be as big a shock. I'm really enjoying the game though and I think it was worth the money considering how much I like it so far.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
I bought this game last night, I haven't played it yet. Based on everyone's impression (and especially Gamespot's bad review) I know I'm going to enjoy this. I even have a way to not be too disappointed when it's over, because that means I can delete the game and have the blocks I need for Crystal Chronicles.

EDIT: I just played it for about 45 minutes, and I love it, it's a really fascinating game. I stopped because I can't figure out what to do, I'm going west like the guy said to and there's something behind a wall. I get up on top of it and there's a thing that gives me the option to pull, but pulling doesn't do anything.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:52:35 AM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2008, 01:13:02 AM »
I bought this game last night, I haven't played it yet. Based on everyone's impression (and especially Gamespot's bad review) I know I'm going to enjoy this. I even have a way to not be too disappointed when it's over, because that means I can delete the game and have the blocks I need for Crystal Chronicles.

EDIT: I just played it for about 45 minutes, and I love it, it's a really fascinating game. I stopped because I can't figure out what to do, I'm going west like the guy said to and there's something behind a wall. I get up on top of it and there's a thing that gives me the option to pull, but pulling doesn't do anything.

Yes it does, use your gust in an upward fashion to "pull" you up faster.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:16 AM »
Oh, okay. I tried gusting it but it must not have been in the right direction.

J.P. Corbran

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »
I tried to add Wii points with my credit card last night so I could buy this game, and it wouldn't let me. Error Code 208009, aka, the "We don't want your money" EC.

EPIC FAIL  :'(
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
I tried to add Wii points with my credit card last night so I could buy this game, and it wouldn't let me. Error Code 208009, aka, the "We don't want your money" EC.

EPIC FAIL  :'(

happened to me too.  It was nintendo's problem.  It's fixed now.

The game is pretty fun and the control scheme is very creative.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Mesu

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2008, 04:09:04 AM »
This game is great! I finished up on sunday and it took me about 5 hours but it never felt frustrating like I was wandering aimlessly. I think it's great how all of the locations are connected without going to an overworld map. It was interesting going to the same locations with new abilities.

I hope the sequel is much longer(even if I had to pay full price for a disk game).

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
just got it, and loving every minute of it :D
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2008, 01:04:15 AM »
I just got the second chest after what seemed like forever, it took me a long time to get the whole burn the plant to make the seed to plant somewhere else (I had to look at a walkthrough on GameFAQs to get it). I've already put in more than 3 hours and like I said I'm only halfway through the game. For once not being very good at a game has an advantage!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »
After hearing the game was so short i'm now disappointed it hasn't ended yet, it's too long and i'm getting bored. Just wandering around some top part i'm supposed to go but there's nothing there. Poor directions. I will give it another crack later.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:24 AM »
I guess I need to devote more time into this game. It's a real slow starter.

Also, I never was too hot on Metroid style "go explore and good luck" type games anyways.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2008, 08:15:40 AM »
I guess I need to devote more time into this game. It's a real slow starter.

Also, I never was too hot on Metroid style "go explore and good luck" type games anyways.

Does it need more third party orgasmatrons?

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2008, 11:15:06 AM »
Well, Nintendo let me give them my money, so I bought this game over the weekend!

Really impressed with the style, and the gameplay is definitely interesting. I agree with the map thing that everyone else is going on about... especially when the layout of levels/caves makes absolutely no sense. For instance, I fell down a hole, and ended up in the cave above somehow. Wha-?

Lastly, I wish I could make little toku (?) run. Maybe that's a later skill, dunno. His tiny child-legs just carry him around too slowly for my short attention span.

Overall, though, having a great time! The puzzles are pretty clever, and I'm really impressed with this so far.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
Yeah I gave up already, it told me to go find something "close to where I found the sprite thingy" well first off I forgot where that was, second off, my path seams to be blocked and I need an item or power I do not have yet but the little guy keeps telling me the same message. I will give it another try tonight, then it's off to gamefaq's for a solution.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »
I bought the game today (after finding that Gamestop DOES sell Wii points cards, the clerk was as surprised as I was) and finished it though I had to ask about the boss in the Gameplay Strategy forum to deal with it (didn't know you can pull those sludge spawners)

The save says 2:20 on it, I've got 20/24 statues. I would have thought the game would say something about the statues... At least something like "hey, you missed four, go back and get them!". Is there any point to the statues except pretending to have replay value?

Overall I'd say the game is overrated, it's good but holding it up as some kind of standard is silly, I've seen reviews that said Toki Tori does not reach Lost Winds. I disagree strongly with that, not only is Toki Tori longer, it actually includes puzzles that require you to think for a while instead of just waltzing through them. Pretty and distinctive backgrounds just don't make up for a solid set of levels with growing difficulty. Cutting LW short pretty much meant the difficulty didn't grow enough to be a challenge (I had to redo one room once by exiting and entering again and never really died though I probably would have if I hadn't turned the system off after minutes of boss fighting with no progress) and challenge is really what puzzle games live and die by. It's a puzzle game since it's supposed to make you think but the only difficulty in LW seems to be figuring those vague directions out (no big deal though), the actual puzzles require very little thinking (oh, hey, there's a breakable door, let's smash it! Wow, an unlit torch, let's light it!) and only fail because some interaction is not apparent (e.g. that you can hold something and use a gust to pull harder). I really think Toki Tori is the standard LW should be held to and while LW manages a better presentation and more innovation Toki Tori just works better as a game.

Offline Mesu

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »

Is there any point to the statues except pretending to have replay value?

I got all 24 of the statues and I don't remember anything happening. The value of the statues is in game when you run across them to practice getting used to the controls.

Overall I'd say the game is overrated, it's good but holding it up as some kind of standard is silly, I've seen reviews that said Toki Tori does not reach Lost Winds. I disagree strongly with that, not only is Toki Tori longer, it actually includes puzzles that require you to think for a while instead of just waltzing through them. Pretty and distinctive backgrounds just don't make up for a solid set of levels with growing difficulty. Cutting LW short pretty much meant the difficulty didn't grow enough to be a challenge (I had to redo one room once by exiting and entering again and never really died though I probably would have if I hadn't turned the system off after minutes of boss fighting with no progress) and challenge is really what puzzle games live and die by. It's a puzzle game since it's supposed to make you think but the only difficulty in LW seems to be figuring those vague directions out (no big deal though), the actual puzzles require very little thinking (oh, hey, there's a breakable door, let's smash it! Wow, an unlit torch, let's light it!) and only fail because some interaction is not apparent (e.g. that you can hold something and use a gust to pull harder). I really think Toki Tori is the standard LW should be held to and while LW manages a better presentation and more innovation Toki Tori just works better as a game.

I think it's really good that Lost Winds is viewed is a standard for Wii Ware games because it's innovative. There are plenty of great platformer/puzzle games on the Virtual Console that work really well as a game. I admit I haven't played Toki Tori and probably enjoy it but how can I justify buying it instead of a great game from the Virtual Console? From your description of its strengths "solid set of levels with growing difficulty that require you to think" it sounds like Load Runner or Solomon's Key. Those games are great but Lost Winds is a very different game that those games since there is less emphasize on intensity and more on exploration.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Personally I don't enjoy Lode Runner and am not sure it really qualifies as puzzle but if you want it, sure, get it.

I don't think the "innovation" in LW makes up for the short length and weak difficulty growth (which I doubt was meant to create a focus on exploration and more a measure to make sure even a retarded kid can make it to the end like many games tend to do these days). It did grow in difficulty but remained so easy it took no thinking to solve anyway. Aspects like the enemies didn't really work well since they took zero effort to dispatch and you didn't have to get close either. The game lacked emotional ups and downs (or at least ups), just a pretty uniform stroll through the environment.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
Hey... I still haven't made it to the end. At least I don't THINK I have, i've been everywhere but there's no "ending" and apparently I still need to get someplace. The game is a maze with horrible directions. I think it was basically made though to say "this is Lost Winds", like it? Please look forward to our future installments.

The enemies in it are pointless, the biggest threat they pose is changing the awesome music to crap on appearance.

Offline Mesu

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2008, 06:16:55 AM »

Personally I don't enjoy Lode Runner and am not sure it really qualifies as puzzle but if you want it, sure, get it.

I won't be getting it because I need to use Wii points for only my highest priority games(like the Lost Winds sequel). Also Load Runner is at least as much of a puzzle game as Lost Winds. So is Super Monkey Ball(it is interesting that some of the most fun levels in the series don't require much thinking).

I don't think the "innovation" in LW makes up for the short length and weak difficulty growth (which I doubt was meant to create a focus on exploration

I don't claim the games short length made it better than it would have been if it was longer and had more difficulty growth. It was the games world that was meant to create a focus on exploration.

and more a measure to make sure even a ******** kid can make it to the end like many games tend to do these days).

(yes I edited your quote because I am not resaying that slur)

Why is it that you(and so many other gamers it seems) feel the need to put down kids with mental disabilities?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »
Why is it that you(and so many other gamers it seems) feel the need to put down kids with mental disabilities?
Er, because mental disabilities are a handicap and saying that even with that handicap you can beat the game means the game requires little mental capabilities?

Offline Mesu

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2008, 07:48:02 AM »
Er, because mental disabilities are a handicap and saying that even with that handicap you can beat the game means the game requires little mental capabilities?

Still that's overgeneralizing(gamers often assume things about mentally impaired gamers that aren't true for each individual). Game designers are designing recent games so that people who can't handle failure well will be able to finish them. This is not dependent on whether someone is mentally impaired.

Remember in the NES era (when games were harder than any time since) games didn't have a lot to learn to complete. The games were just very unforgiving. If someone enjoyed a game enough then they could have that sort of mental disability and still be better at the game than a lot of people(there are of tons of people without any sort of handicap who would never be able to finish games that gamers consider to have some challenge).

Anyways, I was not trying to detrail this thread. Normally I skip past posts that talk like that but this one was in a reply to something I wrote.

Lost Winds is much different than a timer based puzzle game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
Toki Tori lost the timer on the Wii BTW.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:08 AM »
A stray wind has BUMPED this thread!

Finally got around to picking it up, great art style, getting used to the controls, the game does need a map. The explorer told me the goal was west of the falls. West is left, right? The falls are to the right of where the explorer is located.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2008, 01:29:41 AM »
Yes west is left.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2008, 01:50:56 AM »
After beating Okami, these 2 games have almost nothing in common.

When is that sequel coming out?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.