Author Topic: Your Revolution game ideas HERE!  (Read 53678 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Your Revolution game ideas HERE!
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »
Too bad it won't ever happen because

1. The wiimote can't track your movements that exactly (yes, I'm one of THEM)

and...

2. lag. LAG LAG LAG. If you think lag sucks in FPS games, imagine it in swordfights.

Now... knife fights ala Dune... those might stand a chance of being abstracted successfully into a less twitchy, more strategic duel-ish sort of experience.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Your Revolution game ideas HERE!
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2007, 05:11:08 PM »
Samurai sword swinging may not be possible, but I've been curious as to whether or not fencing could work.

Edit:

I also think that Gladiator sword fighting would certainly work, as long as its truly during the Roman era.  The Gladiuses that were used were small enough to be used more as daggers and weren't terribly great at deflecting strikes from another sword, so a system like Wii Boxing would be very appropriate for a Gladiator-type game(i.e. Jabbing, thrusting, and occasionally a slash or two).  The Nunchuck could be used to raise/lower/bash your shield.  It could work.

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Too bad it won't ever happen because

1. The wiimote can't track your movements that exactly (yes, I'm one of THEM)

and...

2. lag. LAG LAG LAG. If you think lag sucks in FPS games, imagine it in swordfights.

Now... knife fights ala Dune... those might stand a chance of being abstracted successfully into a less twitchy, more strategic duel-ish sort of experience.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I'll give you the lag (though I believe that, in the hands of the right developers, simple sword tournaments online would be possible).

But I just refuse to give up hope that real-time swordplay is possible. I mean, the wiimote has everything embedded to make it possible. Not only that, but Nintendo itself was giving the impression that real time swordplay would eventually make it onto the Wii one the controller was revealed (remember the early demo commercial with the Asian boy jumping around swinging his wiisword in real time?). Either Nintendo was lying or it just hasn't been developed into a game yet. Programming for wiimote controls has probably proven to be more difficult than even Nintendo originally imagined, so I think that when developers become more comfortable with the wiimote and more tools come out to make coding for it easier, we'll start to see the wiimote become more than just gesture control.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
Nintendo messed up my (not so creative) idea by not including the mic. I wanted the new Harry Potter game to let you use the Wiimote like a wand and let you cast spells by saying them while moving the wiimote a certain way.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2007, 05:48:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi
Not only that, but Nintendo itself was giving the impression that real time swordplay would eventually make it onto the Wii one the controller was revealed (remember the early demo commercial with the Asian boy jumping around swinging his wiisword in real time?). Either Nintendo was lying or it just hasn't been developed into a game yet.

Look closer. He was playing Red Steel. &P

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2007, 07:18:59 AM »
Stop dashing my hopes!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2007, 01:43:25 PM »
Well, let's ignore my nagging for the moment and fall in love with Star Wars: Fugitives of the Force.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »
Pick up sticks.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2007, 07:20:40 AM »
Pogs.  You place your nunchuk on the table and slam your remote down on it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2007, 07:26:28 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Nintendo messed up my (not so creative) idea by not including the mic. I wanted the new Harry Potter game to let you use the Wiimote like a wand and let you cast spells by saying them while moving the wiimote a certain way.

I would've felt like such a tool doing that but damn it would've been fun.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:06 AM »
I just had this AWESOME COOL idea for indie developers to get their feet wet with easy-to-develop WiiWare titles:

Virtual Aquarium.

This is such a simple concept, but with built-in appeal. Plus, it makes PERFECT sense as a wiiware title since it should be small to download, and because it'll be it's own channel instead of a disc. A Virtual Aquarium game for the Wii through WiiWare would basically be an Aquarium Channel! And like I said, UBER easy for a small indie dev to crank out to get their feet wet, very non-gamer friendly, easy to design, and probably do great at a cheap download price!

Also, Virtual Ant Farm!

Also, MP3 player with included Visualizer!

Hmm... maybe even a VIRTUAL THEREMIN!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »
Virtual Aquarium would actually be pretty cool. I have this DVD of an aquarium and it's bad ass because it comes with these beach noises (among other music). So, when I want to go to sleep, I just turn off the TV and listen to the ocean.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »
Wii Skydiving

Played like the skydiving minigames in Mario Party, but with more to it of course! Maybe wiiware?

Or maybe this should just be included in the next pilot wings?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »
Pilotwings skydiving FTW. Nintendo don't cop out on us, I am expecting a Wii Pilotwings, you better deliver.

Offtopic, but what ever happened to Pittboi?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »
Some third party out there has to just up and buy the Operation! License from Milton Bradley or Hasbro or whoever. Seriously, slap a $30 price tag on a cheap family-friendly Trauma Center clone and bedone with it.

Offline Mesu

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »
The Wii has the potential to revolutionize fighting games! Right now it seems developers have only tried to replace button pressing with gestures. What I hope they would try is something that isn't possible on a regular controller  (or an arcade stick). I have 2 game ideas that I hope developers try at some point in wii lifetime. They both use the pointer as an intergral part of their gameplay.

Game Idea 1: A powerstone type(true 3d plane) game where every character in the game can teleport to anywhere on the field at any time.

There could be a lot of ways approach this, right now I'm favoring having the player hold all 3 buttons(B trigger, C, and Z) simultaneously to disappear and release any button (or all) of them to reappear. Wherever the pointer is on the screen is where you will appear at. Imagine dissappearing as someone is attacking you and appearing behind them for an attack.

Controls(these could easily be simplified if this is too much for this type of game):

Analog stick for movement

C button for punch

Z for kick

B for block(I really really like the Virtua Fighter PKG system a lot but if
necessary a different setup can be implamented)

D-pad causes variation of button presses. for example press Z and up on the D-pad for a different kick than Z and down. So there would be 5 kicks in the game(up, down, left, right, neutral). They could have different properties maybe. One thing I have notice is the D-pad really isn't a great input device for streetfighter style games designed around an arcade stick but in my game it would be limited to the four directions that it is good at.

the "A" button could jump I suppose or it could teleport if it seems the control scheme should be simplified.

The most important part of the game is the teleporting. The way I originally envision it has the player holding down all three buttons and disappearing if the player lets go of every button except for punch then the character will reappear punching same with kicks and throws(I thought it should be block+punch). Ideally I'd like it so P+K and K+G are have unique attacks assigned to them.

To block someone behind you hold B and press the analog stick in the direction you want to face and you'll quickly pivot to where you need to be. This is necessary since people will be teleporting from all angles.

I was thinking there might need to be a "cooldown" period after you use the teleport to keep someone from constantly disappearly to stall the match(maybe 5 seconds without teleporting ability). I think it should reset automatically if you connect an attack so you can attack/teleport/attack/teleport/etc are different angles.

This game could have 4 players at a time.

EDIT: it NEEDS to offer four players at a time so there can be situations like if someone is surrounded by 2 or more people attacking you when you disappear and make them attack each other. Also it seems like in 2 player mode the game might encourage you to wait for your opponet to teleport and teleport after them so you can appear next to them right after they appear to get your 87.5% chance of landing a hit(based on if they can guess which of the 8 directions you attack from). With team battle and free for all this wouldn't be a problem.

Edit # 3: I am beginning to think blocking needs to cover more area. When you block it should cover not only the direction you press but the two directions next  to it. So if you block and press down it blocks for south, southeast, and southwest attacks. So now the teleporter only has a 62.5% chance of landing an attack(significant but not overwhelming).

Also I hope they add a "strobelight mode" where everyone is forced to teleport and reappear every few seconds. Players would have to guess where their opponets are going to appear. After the match you could stroll through all the "pictures" and save any that you like.

It is a more traditional fighting game that i'm almost suprised someone hasn't attempted yet. Basically a point and click fighting game. The basic concept of the game is you have to aim where your character will attack using the wiimote pointer. It uses that 2d plane that nearly every fighting game uses. You start the game with an on screen cursor showing you where you attack will go. This can be turn off which you will want to do as you get more comfortable with the pointer otherwise people will be able to predict your every move.

Controls(same PKG system):

C button for punch

Z button for kick

B trigger for block

A button for toggling the aiming cursor on/off

For movement there are several ways of going at this the game could have a "move" button and have it go to wherever the remote is at the time of pressing it. But that might be confusing because it might be very difficult inch foward or backwards after pointing the remote somewhere else on screen from doing an attack. The other approach is it could use the D-pad or analog stick for movement since it would be easy. I prefer the D-pad.

One thing the D-pad won't be doing in this game is extremely complicated inputs. I want the same variation pad structure of my first game idea for the D-pad(one button and one direction, no circular motions or back, foward, foward type inputs). It sounds like there might only be 10-20 attacks but that doesn't take into account that all attacks can be context sensitive based on where the remote is pointing.

There might be various ways of approaching this but I could only think of a convential way for now. It involves a collection of "zones" where if the remote in them it will recognise that and change the attack the appriorate one. For example in a typical 3d fighter their are 3 hit levels: high, mid, low. low attacks will hit someone when they are blocking normal but will be blocked, mid attacks break someone out of their low blocking stance etc. I was thinking there would be 3 height zones and 3 distance zones(close range, medium range, long range) for a total of nine zones(actually I want there to be a few other(reverse, sky, and out of reach) but from practical standpoint their will only be nine zones). If you take 9 zones times 5 you get 45 different punches and 45 different kicks in the game per character(actuall double that if P+K is used for extra punches and K+G is used for extra kicks). There actually would never be that many moves realistically(and moves like low height long distance punches would be to ridiculous to put in the game unless the character is like Dhalsim from streetfighter 2) but it's good to know there could be with a relatively simple control scheme.

EDIT # 2: This aproach might not be completely satisfying for some people because they might want to strike exactly where they point. For example mid heighth attacks can hit your opponets chest or stomach and it has nothing to do with where you point the remote. Also someone who points on the border between two zones could become frustrated when it does the wrong move. The player could want to attack their opponets shin and instead attack their opponets chest(there really should be that big of a difference in the animations of a very slight difference in where you point the remote). Even though I still like my earlier idea It seems a more exact pointing system would be worth attempting also. The way this would need to be done is to make many more smaller zones that are too small for the player to notice if they are off by a bit.

A more exact pointing system potentially has problems. The first problem is a whole new defensive system might have to be designed and there's a chance it wouldn't be as intuitive(and intuitiveness is the main advantage of using a remote to point where you want to attack). I suppose they could keep the old low/mid/high system where mid attack break lows blocks etc. and just have the different choices of where the opponet hit have realistic reactions. With this there is still problems when someone attacks on the border between high/mid or mid/low.

A solution to this problem might be to have the defending player point at their character to where they want to defend. This could be determined by heighth only so it could be less complicated. Under this method a "radius of defense" would surround where the player pointed to defend. Within the radius everything that hits would be blocked(the size of the radius could as large as 50% of the character if developers wanted it to easy to block or it could be very small if developers wanted most attempted hits to land or somewhere in between). If a character crouches their radius should shrink because the potential hit area for the character shrank. They could make it so that the closer to the center of the radius the attack is the bigger advantage the defending player receives from blocking. The closer they get the more likely it is they can get in a guaranteed afterwards. The problem with this is it could make aiming an important skill in fighting games and I wouldn't look foward to that. The part about the center of the radius might not be that important.

Another potential probelm is it could reduce the number of moves in the game. With zones every move is context sensitive. With near exact attack placement this is very difficult to keep. I mean every attack area would still have specific attacks for every input but the player wouldn't want to have to point a small area in order to access a certain move. An easy solution would be to make groups of tiny zones where a move would be context sensitive. They could have 3 height zone groups and have the same number of moves as before or they could have 4 or more and have even more moves. It's not perfect but if the zone groups were constructed in a way certain moves switched to other moves after they stopped making sense to attack a certain area(for example a headbutt attack of up + punch would automatically do something else if the player targets low enough). It would be a lot of work for developers to work this out situation by situation but it could be really interesting. 

The details aren't important. There are lots more approached developers could take. Recently my nephew brought it over Godzilla Unleashed. We weren't able to play multi player because I only have one nunchuck. I thought it was okay but thought the gamecube one had better controls. My nephew thinks it was great because he says it seems like you are the monster on screen. This is something I've been overlooking when thinking about wii fighting games.

I was thinking they could make one where the game knows how faster you swing the remote(to sort of measure "angryness"). I remember when we used to play street fighter 2 on snes we would sometimes push  the buttons really hard and expect to see our characters strike harder. I know they can already make games concept like this with the analog buttons(analog triggers on Dreamcast, Gamecube,XBOX???, and Xbox360??, and analog face buttons on ps2???, and ps3???) but there is none that I know of.

I think motion could be like the non jump button in super mario bros. It would exaggerate actions(in mario if you walks forward it would be you run). The controllers knows how fast its moving right? You could move it fast, medium, or slow/stopping. If this was applied to a street fighter 2 style game the game could work with only 2 buttons and the current state of controller speed while you press the button would determine if you did normal, strong, or fierce strike. You could use motions to exaggerate anything action you give to the characters. Let's say you block and do a fast motion then maybe your character would parry the hit. To balance this maybe you hard blocking doesn't let you hold guard continuously and you are open for a short time. With 3(or 4) buttons, a D-pad, and an analog stick there's tons of potential for mapping tons of moves and actions.

Also since the last time I edited this post I played Smash Brothers Brawl! I understand the decision to make it controls similar to meelee. I would like it if smash brothers type games became it own sub genre on wii with lots of experiments in controls. One thing I think SSBB missed out on was an opportunity to have an 8 player mode. The gamecube didn't have this ability and it's very possibly the wii2 won't have the ability to have 8 controller ports. The window is closing. I hope someone else picks up this idea. Remember if someone makes a SSBB type game there will be  comparisons to SSBB. If it has 8 players the game developers will want people to compare it with smash brothers. That would get a lot of people curious to try it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:21:30 AM by Mesu »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
Wow, I didn't think AT ALL about using the wii's pointer functionality for fighting situations. That could be real innovative actually! In fact, it suggest that pointer functionality could be used in a 1-player action game as well, sort of an updated QTE attack system, a mini game of Ouendan to execute pre-arranged attack moves... sorta like if there was a Shenmue 3 perhaps?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Yeah, those fighting games aren't bad ideas.. since the remote was revealed we figured that the genre it was worst suited for was 2D fighters. So if you can't change the controls, innovate and push forward the genre.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2007, 10:39:40 PM »
Developers usually spend too much time trying to adapt the Wii controls to a game without considering trying to adapt the game to the controls. The Pikmin games on the GameCube are great examples of how adapting the game to the controls can work spectacularly. Conventional wisdom was that RTS controls sucked on consoles, so Nintendo changed the RTS formula in a way that made the console controller ideal.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »
From my post in the talkback thread about the shipping of Link's Crossbow Training...

They should've packed in a Pikmin light-gun game with this.

Play Olimar as he takes up the Wii Zapper to command his Pikmin to tackle obstacles, and uses it's ray-gun powers to scare away giant bulborbs to stop them from eating his leafy companions! And all in an arcade light-gun game setting!

Maybe this new Pikmin light gun game can be wiiware and use the Zelda engine?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2007, 01:10:37 PM »
Sounds good, but the gun should have the ability to launch Pikmin at the enemy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2007, 05:03:41 PM »
Hell no. You can do what you want to Zelda, but don't bastardise my Pikmin.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2007, 09:40:15 AM »
Lolo 4

On Wiiware. Developed by a small external studio, published by Nintendo. Lolo is a PERFECT example of a game that wouldn't get published today because it's too simple and needs more complicated features... like Iwata's Tetris.

I wonder what other simple game concepts and franchises are out there and owned by third parties that would deserve direct sequels/translations via Wiiware... Kickle Cubicle? Monopoly? Battleship with Wi-Fi play? That card game from FF8?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2007, 07:31:23 AM »
Black Beauty

Is it a movie or is it a book or what now? I've got no idea what the thing's about, but it'd be the perfect crossover franchise for girls and adventure gamers alike. Make it and I'll watch the movie in preparation.

Also, Man from Snowy River.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2007, 12:05:33 PM »
They definitely need a "make you own Phoenix Wright case" game on wiiware that lets players use pre-set images and characters, type in their own text, arrange an adventure gaming episode, then send the level to another gamer so they can play through it. 1000 Wii Points?

Also, a make-your-own platformer game on wiiware, sorta like Little-Big Planet, but done more in the style of Drawn to Life. 1000 Wii Points?

Also, they need to sell some channel-like utility software on Wiiware. Like a convenient all-in-one Wii Mail Handler program that lets you send out mail to multiple recipients, keep an advanced address book, and organize and delete your messages without having to dig all the way back into the past, and that'd automatically compile all your play-time records for easier stat-tracking instead of having to go day by day and compile by hand. 800 Wii Points?

Also, a Mii Dance Studio where you can import Miis, use skeletal animation to create your own dance moves, and then choreograph your own music video! It'd let users use default music or upload their own sound in AAC, then output in motion J-Peg so they can watch it on their Wii! 1000 Wii Points?