Author Topic: Call of Duty Franchise Adds Third Studio to Create Three-Year Development Cycle  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile

Sledgehammer Games joins the fray as the series switches to a tri-annual rotation.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/36509

The developers behind the historically successful Call of Duty franchise will now operate on a rotating three-year release cycle, with Sledgehammer Games joining series stalwarts Treyarch and Infinity Ward.

Activision will continue to release Call of Duty games on an annual basis and they confirmed that Sledgehammer is in charge of this year's entry, but the publisher claims this change will allow each studio the increased development time they need to ensure a high quality end product.

"There are several advantages to doing this. The first is of course quality; this will give our designers more time to envision and to innovate for each title," said Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg during a recent earnings conference call.

"Simultaneously, it will give our content creators more focus on DLC and micro DLC. Finally, it'll give our teams more time to polish, making sure that we relive the best possible experience to our fans each and every time."

Since the release of Call of Duty 2 in 2005, instalments in the first-person-shooter franchise have been released annually, with development alternating each year between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. Sledgehammer Games later become involved in 2011, assisting on the development of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 following major staff reductions at Infinity Ward.

Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
This is a pretty logical way to do it if you're going to make an annual franchise.

Though I'll bet in three years no one will give a **** about Call of Duty just like how no one gives a **** anymore about Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater after Activision's annual releases wore those franchises out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
This is a pretty logical way to do it if you're going to make an annual franchise.

Though I'll bet in three years no one will give a **** about Call of Duty just like how no one gives a **** anymore about Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater after Activision's annual releases wore those franchises out.

I'm sure that was also said 3 years ago, but who knows, if they keep it fresh, and actually alternate the themes of the game each year, maybe it will work out.

Aren't they currently alternating 2 themes, Modern Warfare and Black Ops or something?
I guess the 3rd could be more themed/experimental entries like Future Warfare or Urban Combat.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Whatever the third title is, we will find out this year. Treyarch will start up in 2015 so no CoD for Wii U this year? :(