Author Topic: Nintendo DS Launch Survey  (Read 12594 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Nintendo DS Launch Survey
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:09:33 AM »
I got a few questions for this group, to see where everyone is at.

1)Now that we know the launch titles are you going to buy the system at launch, or later this year, or next year after more games are available?

2)If you are buying at launch, how many and what games are you hoping to buy?

3)If you are waiting, why are you waiting?

4)Last, Is there a game that could have been available at launch or is a game that is available that persuaded you to buy the system?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:Nintendo DS Launch Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:14:26 AM »
My answers:

1)If my budget allows I will buy the system at launch.  I really want it, but I have to do some financial juggling, but I will get the system this year.  Either at launch or for Christmas.  

2)Since I am doing financial juggling, If I buy the system I will get only 1 or 2 games. Those games are going to be Super Mario 64 DS, and hmmm this is second game is still up for grabs after I read the reviews of the games.

3)Financial reasons would be the only reason I would wait.  

4)Super Mario 64 DS completely sold me on the system.  Sure people are complaining its just an advanced port...but it is a portable version of my favorite game created, and I don't have my N64 anymore, so I can finally play it again.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Launch Survey
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:16:47 AM »
1. Seeing the launch lineup I currently have no plans to own a DS in the near future.

2. N/A

3. I'm waiting for a game to show up that to me is worth buying a system for.  I have ZERO interest in the sole launch port and I don't know enough about the titles to come yet.

4. A completely NEW game from Nintendo potentially could have persuaded me to buy the system.  Super Mario 64 DS had the exact opposite effect.  It persuaded me to not buy the system at launch.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 09:21:42 AM »
1. I plan on buying the system at launch.  

2. I know I'll pick up Super Mario DS.  I may also get Spiderman2 which looks flat out fun.

3. The only reason I may have waited would be lack of selection at launch (note: that's not lack of good games).

4. Super Mario DS certainly helped with my decision.  I probably would have bought it anyway, but I was still disappointed with the lack of selection at launch.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 09:41:49 AM »
1) I will wait.

2) If I were to buy at launch, I'd be getting Super Mario 64 DS for sure, Ridge Racer if they fixed the control issues, and probably XX:XY depending on how well it reviews.

3) Price, and the huge flood of holiday titles for GameCube.  I'm holding out for a price drop, but I will probably give in and buy one when the PSP comes out (or when/if Goemon comes out).

4) Something brand-new that really uses the stylus or dual screens might have persuaded me to buy the system.  Also, if Konami were releasing the new Goemon game right now, I'd probably think about it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 10:13:22 AM »
1) I already have it pre ordered

2) Im getting Super Mario 64 DS and maybe that feel the magic thing

3)  If I were to change my mind it would be for a price drop and...

4) Games like Metroid and Wario Ware arent at launch.  I dont want to trust any 3rd party developer DS games yet, I wanna see what they do after seeing Nintendo's example.
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 10:13:53 AM »
1. I have already pre-ordered my DS.

2. I also pre-ordered Super Mario 64 DS. Although I will probably end up buying at least one other game on launch day, I am waiting to see what will be available and how those other titles fair in the reviews.

3. N/A

4. Even though it won't be available until sometime in 2005, Advance Wars DS is the game that made pre-order the DS. Just the thought of being able to play Advance Wars in dual screen goodness almost made me...Well, since we have minors reading this forum I will censor myself and not finish what I was about to say.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 10:23:04 AM »
1) I'm waiting, I think. Still undecided. Maybe next year depending on what makes it over from Japan.

3) Software prices still aren't concrete. How many games are $30 versus $40? And the only interesting launch game that really exploits the DS's abalities at all is XY/XX.

4) Animal Crossing. I never played the first, and this seems like the way it was meant to be played.

NA's launch is pretty disappointing, after it seemed like Nintendo was getting virtually everything else right with the DS. But if the games lineup improves in the near future I'd like to pick one up.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »
Interesting results.  It seems Nintendo's DS is a system that has people interested, but the launch may not be enough to cement early adopters, and if Nintendo waits too long the allure of the Sony PSP could hurt sales.

I guess that is question number 5.

5)Are you interested in the Sony PSP, why or why not?

I am not interested.  Manyly because I have a limited budget and I would rather get something truly innovative and different then games I could play at home on the go.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 11:50:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

Yes, but only slightly. My only real interest in the PSP will be to see how it performs in sales. There is no denying that Sony’s PSP will sport some very impressive graphics, for a handheld but I don’t think that will be enough to get consumers to spend $300+ on a handheld gaming system. Yes, it will be the “cool” new toy to have – but so will the DS.

At half the price, the DS will surely appeal more to the average person – young and old. I’m sure as hell not interested in paying an overblown price for a handheld console. $149 for the DS seems to be quite reasonable considering it’s features. I’m not impressed by Sony’s PSP, and unless it’s priced competitively with the DS, or at the very least launches at $200 – I think it will be another N-Guage, Sony or not.

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 11:50:35 AM »
5. No because I don't really care for the types of games that dominate Playstation systems.  Plus I'm weary of the rumoured high price and low battery life.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 12:00:21 PM »
So the concept of an all in one portable system, that plays games, music, movies, and such within the PSP won't sell?  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 12:11:35 PM »
1.  I MUST have SM64 DS...MUST!

2.  Most likely two games...(Project Rub aka Feel the Magic will probably be my second title)

4.  I would have liked "Another" at launch but of course that's just silly... ='D

5.  No, because I don't want to have to pay for an expensive system that does stuff I don't need with a library of games that I really won't care for...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline jarob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 12:27:11 PM »
I think it will sell very well.  Anything with Playstation sells.  I would be interested, but that high price is a tough one.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 12:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Keep it up.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 12:39:38 PM »
I plan on getting one eventually but I'm currently waiting on annoucements about the wireless capabilities of the system (I just hooked up wireless internet at my house)

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 06:03:27 PM »
1)Buying it a launch. No doubts.

2)Super Mario 64 DS and possibly Madden, which is VERY strange because I haven't been interested in Madden since Sega Genesis days.

3)Not waiting, but if I was to wait, it would be for more 1st party titles or innovative 3rd party.

4)Well, my main reasons for wanting a DS, software wise, follow with Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. I wasn't looking forward to Metroid or Super Mario 64 DS, but now that I know they aren't just ports (Metroid Hunters is amazing, I can say that much), I'm happy with whats at launch, I only hope for a solid online plan.

5)Absolutely no interest whatsoever in the PSP. I'm quite angry that some developers won't make games for DS because of the PSP. However, at the same time I am happy because Nintendo will be competing, so we won't get all these half-assed ports (SMA1,2,3 and 4).

Offline PoopyLoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 06:12:37 PM »

I got a few questions for this group, to see where everyone is at.

1)Now that we know the launch titles are you going to buy the system at launch, or later this year, or next year after more games are available?

2)If you are buying at launch, how many and what games are you hoping to buy?

3)If you are waiting, why are you waiting?

4)Last, Is there a game that could have been available at launch or is a game that is available that persuaded you to buy the system?

1) Launch

2)1; Super Mario 64 DS

3) N/A

4) N/A
This is my signature.

Offline PoopyLoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 06:17:52 PM »

Interesting results.  It seems Nintendo's DS is a system that has people interested, but the launch may not be enough to cement early adopters, and if Nintendo waits too long the allure of the Sony PSP could hurt sales.

I guess that is question number 5.

I am not interested.  Manyly because I have a limited budget and I would rather get something truly innovative and different then games I could play at home on the go.

5) It seems cool I guess...but that's WAYYYYY too much money and it doesn't really do anything all that exciting. Sure it plays movies, but I'd have to re-purchase whichever movies I wanted to watch on it anyway.
This is my signature.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 06:30:06 PM »
1) already pre-ordered, its just that good

2) i'm gonna get super mario 64 ds, but if i believe, i might get xx/xy or someything whatever

3)

4) Animal Crossing DS, like said above, it looks like it was meant for the ds...and if i like the demo, metroid hunters
Banned

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 04:32:07 AM »
You know I hate sports games, but Madden really does tempt me because I think that new navigational menu and play calling is just awesome.

It looks like overall people may not be completely satisfied with the launch, but believe it is atleast "good enough."  And people seem cemented on the already anounced games coming very soon to the system.  Metroid Hunters, Animal Crossing DS, Mario Kart DS.  I know I am excited about those games.

Question:  Will you or are you disappointed when games don't every feature the DS has in its games?  Will you be upset if the touchscreen isn't used within every game?  Or the Microphone?  or Wireless connectivity?  or even dual screen play?

I for one wouldn't be too upset if the game is good.  Nintendo made a system that would have more options for functionality, but that doesn't mean the system demands it.  That is what makes this system special.  You have everything you need to create any type of game and make it very functional.    

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 05:07:54 AM »

Question:  Will you or are you disappointed when games don't every feature the DS has in its games?  Will you be upset if the touchscreen isn't used within every game?  Or the Microphone?  or Wireless connectivity?  or even dual screen play?

No. I will not be disappointed if a game doesn’t utilize all of the DS’ features.

I don’t think you can expect game developers to incorporate every function of the DS into all titles released for the system. If a game is good without requiring the touch screen/mic/WiFi/DS play, then I don’t see a reason to implement it. If they do, the DS will be nothing more than a $150 gimmick. There’s going to have to be a line drawn somewhere. This is what will make or break the DS. As long as developers don’t feel pressured to include features not required by the game just for the purpose of exploiting the DS’ “innovative” features, I think the new system has the potential to be quite successful.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2004, 05:12:17 AM »
I think hes a nintendo spy.  You cant fool us.

No but seriously i think the ds will do fine.  The games will pick up in the near future, just give developers AND NINTENDO a little more time.  Im excited to see how games will start looking near the end of the ds's life span.  Conker anyone.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »
Funny.

No I am not a spy.

I have just created many threads that get zero responses.  So I was try to add questions to try and start up discussions and find opinions instead of just telling mine.  Then I also try to respond as much a can and give positive feedback so people feel that their response wasn't ignored and that it was actually appreciated.  

I guess I try to be too much the nice guy.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 06:10:01 AM »

Originally posted by: foolish03
Conker anyone.

That would be awesome considering that I never had the chance to play Conker on the N64. With rumors circulating that Rare has DS development kits in their possession, I think the possibility of a Conker DS could become a reality one day. I guess it’s really up to Microsoft.
PEACE--->Rhoq