Author Topic: Sin and Punishment port of the US DS  (Read 5690 times)

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sin and Punishment port of the US DS
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:30:34 PM »
   I thought about it, and I realized that Nintendo can strengthen their American DS lineup by port the Treasure made "Sin and Punishment."  We never got the Nintendo 64 version, and I always read about how good it was in magazines, and by word of mouth.  I guess I only have myself to blame, but my lazy complaining self wouldn't be the same if I actually did something about it.  

MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Why not a Sin and Punishment port of the US DS?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 10:34:41 PM »
BTW, Sin & Punishment is now available on the iQue.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 06:22:32 AM »
actually that is a great idea. move left/right with the dpad, aim with teh stylus, fire with L
I'll shut up now...

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
RE:Why not a Sin and Punishment port of the US DS?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 12:03:30 PM »
I have Sin And Punishment for the N64 and all I can say is... BRING ON S&P DS!!!!!

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 12:21:21 PM »
Sorry to sound so uneducated but what exactly is sin and punishment and why is it so good?
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 09:42:15 AM »
I would definitely be in line to buy this game...I was always disappointed it didn't come to the N64.
Lost101: I can't really give you the best description of Sin & Punishment since I've never played it, but my impression was that it was kind of a rail shooter (like StarFox) only the characters were on the ground, running.  And it's so good because...they made it that way.  Well, someone who's actually played it should describe it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 09:56:34 AM »
Treasure made it...That's all you need to know...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 10:21:56 AM »
Bill: So there's a 20% chance it's absolute crap. Thanks for the info .

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 10:42:55 AM »
There's a 20% chance that *you* are crap, you Treasure hater... >=(

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 10:55:56 AM »
This game would actually work really well on the DS, but I wouldn't want a direct port.  I would love a redux of the game.  

Same story, but redo the levels to fit the DS' strengths.  I remember seeing the art design and the game design of this game and hoped that Nintendo would release it States side.  Still don't know why they didn't.  Nintendo could design a very very cool game with a similar designed game.  

I am thinking a map on the bottom and the action on top.  You use the thumb strap or stylus to target and attack.  Using the double tap idea to fire.  Now, left right forward back allows you to move around the screen as the character, and left and right allows you to rotate around the enviroment and fight.  (Kinda like Panzer Dragoon)  I would buy that game.  Last work in a 8 player verse mode, and a 4 player CO-OP mode and you have yourself a stellar game.

I hope this is created, but knowing Nintendo it won't be.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 01:58:38 PM »
I have wondered as of late, whatever happened to Bill's intelligent posts?  I too have often wondered what is so amazing about this game, but all I have been able to garner is the fact that it was made by Treasure, and is a rail shooter.  I've played rail shooters, and I've played Treasure games, but why what makes this game stand out, and worthy of a port/purchase?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 02:23:35 PM »
"I've played rail shooters, and I've played Treasure games, but why what makes this game stand out, and worthy of a port/purchase?"

Because it's made by Treasure, it's only available in Japan, and it's a "mature" game published by Nintendo which during the N64 days was a rariety.  I've never played it though I imagine had it been released in North America it's legend would have been greatly diminished.  I would still like to play though.  If you're going to make a port/remake of something you might as well pick something that few people have played.

Though I don't think we should be encouraging Nintendo to make more ports/remakes for the DS.  I don't want a GBA scenario where like half of the titles made are ports.  Sure THIS would be a worthwhile port but I think Nintendo's GBA habits have shown that there's too much room for misuse.

"There's a 20% chance that *you* are crap, you Treasure hater..."

Bill you got to admit that Treasure hasn't been flawless lately.  Their recent shooters like Ikaruga, Gradius V, and Astro Boy are great but some of their other recent titles like Wario World, Stretch Panic, and Advance Guardian Heroes are not.  They've been off with non-shooter titles lately.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 03:04:03 PM »
"I have wondered as of late, whatever happened to Bill's intelligent posts?"

What?  You can't be serious...I think the problem lies in a lack of viable topics of discussion...Create me a good topic to discuss in and I will...

"I don't want a GBA scenario where like half of the titles made are ports"

I really don't see this happening...There is only one game by Ninty (so far) that could be somewhat be called a port, and it's main objective is to pull in as many gamers from the start as possible...Every other game can be considered "sequels" that take advantage of the DS' capabilities (Animal Crossing DS, Metroid Prime Hunters) or completely new games (Another, Nintendogs)...I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest...

"Bill you got to admit that Treasure hasn't been flawless lately."

I'm a Treasure fanboy, so just excuse any mindless jabber by me on them...Of course Treasure's expertise lies in the standard shooter, but their non-standard games aren't that bad(at least to me)...I enjoyed Wario World as an action romp, and AGH's only fatal problem was its framerate...As a whole, trying to put my Treasure-fanhood aside, I can say I thoroughly enjoy a very strong majority of Treasure's games and only slightly like a few of them...I haven't played a Treasure game that I thought was "absolute crap."

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 07:04:12 PM »
I look at this game a not just a port, but a viable game and style of game for a unique DS experience.  First onrail shooters really some really creative game design when you can easily just touch and shoot to aim.  It quickly becomes a game of reflexes and strategies.  Second, the extra screen could be used to display (yes a map, but instead of singularly being on rails now you can move and dodge with your character, Rotate the screen for attacks from all sides, and offer much more immersive multipathing where the direction you are pointing right before a branching path can determine your next rail experience.  

I am looking at the idea of a Remake not a Port.  I want the shooter experience of a railshooter, with the more depth from having multple layers, and the dodging element.

I also want a new kind of deathmatch experience which I think this game could easily provide.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 10:25:39 PM »
Bill: Treasure made some dragon-based shooter for the GC that sucked hard.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 07:15:24 AM »
Hence the "I haven't played" at the end of my last post...

Dragon Drive goes alongside the cdI Zeldas in "Games that Never Ever Existed"

(And a single game isn't going to change my opinion on a dev when most churn out nothing BUT crap...)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 07:48:52 AM »
No, but I wanted to imply that Treasure doesn't have a 100% hit rate, sometimes they miss and when they miss they miss badly.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 08:08:30 AM »
But that's a rather odd point to make, isn't it?  Not even Nintendo has a 100% hit rate!  For a dev to be considered great they must have a large Hit-to-miss ratio and Treasure really qualifies in that category for me...The fact that such a small dev likes taking chances allows for more variability and an extraordinary experience when they hit the mark...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2004, 08:20:30 AM »
I like treasure.  I like that their games are more art than just products, but in the end sometimes that means some games aren't going to be as marketable as others.  I think Treasure has had a problem with originality and marketability.  Games like Stretch Panic are not going to appeal to everyone, and in the end, Treasure should be respected for the risks.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 09:56:45 AM »
Sin and Punishment is no S&M game. It's an on rails shooter SIMILAR to Starfox. Let me explain the on rails part first. In Starfox, you'll always be moving forward, in SP, you move forward, shooter some bad guys, then move forward again. But that's not to say there aren't stages that makes you always move forward. There's also on side scrolling boss battle and also one side scrolling section in the final stage.

Let me explain the gameplay a little. That game is very simple. You shoot. You can either lock on and shoot, or shoot without lock on. It's more powerful without lock on. You can roll to the left and right, and also double jump. What's interesting is that when you get close to solid objects, you can tap the shoot button to use a lightsaber like weapon to slice. Using this weapon allows you to smack some projectiles back at the enemies. There's even a little lightsaber boss duel.

Now you're all wondering what's so special about the game right? Imagine a shooter that throws literally hundreds of enemies on screen with no slow down. One stage has you flying on a piece of... floor, ripped out from a air craft carrier. That's Starfox like on rails, only way too insane. You have to see the stage to believe it. You're flying over the ocean, 10 planes shoot at you. Huge battle ships on the ocean with tons of helicopters and soldiers for you the shoot. The screen is filled with hundred of lasers, bullets, and other crap. Since you're flying on a piece of floor, the damn thing rolls left and right(nothing happens to you though, it just makes it look really cool) flying over tons of battle ships, killer robots, and end up in a duel with this HUGE flying fortess. Other stages has enemies that keeps coming and coming, like the subway battle. These weird creatures come from all over the fly. Weird flying orbs appear to hurt you, giant monsters spitting flames drop in from the roof. With tons of stationary objects for you to shoot. The insanity of the final battle is like a freaked up version of Missile Command. You shoot at everything that moves trying to protect it from crashing into the earth. Imagine like 20-30 lasers, asteroids, fireball thinges all hurling towards earth and you have can imagine how insane the action is. It's pee-your-pants-blink-and-die action.

One of the things few people mention is the music of this game. The music is simply awesome. Arghh, it's hard to understand when you're talking about music, but just take my word for it. Let's not forget the brilliant plot of this game. The voice acting is in english, and it THE STORY MAKE ZERO SENSE!!! Trust me, it's not a bad thing. Who the hell plays Contra for plot anyway?

Now for the part that'll really piss people off. This game isn't really all made by Treasure. The game is actually a joint project between Treasure and Nintendo themselves. Hell, you'll even see NOA make it to the credits, something that never happens in a Japanese game. Basically, even NOA was involved in the making of this game, yet they choose not to release it here in America.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 07:09:31 PM »
I like how Sin and Punishment ran at a constant frame rate that was well below Perfect Dark's. Good game, but it'd need a SERIOUS upgrade in the graphics department. Still, I'd rather a new Gunstar Heroes, Freak Out (Stretch Panic), Mischief Makers or Dynamite Headdy on DS over a S&P port anyday.  

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 11:06:13 PM »
Woah, Sin an Punishment sounds awesome.  Thanks alot for the description.  Hearing it though it sounds like a very fitting game for something like the PSP but for a smaller screen it sounds harder to appreciate, plus I dont really see how a microphone of a touchscreen could help.
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine