Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 761242 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2200 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »
All of that?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: December 15, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
I'm not really into Pokemon, but that Pikachu 2DS XL looks pretty awesome.
Nice haul!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: December 16, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
Overwatch is on sale, so I picked that up for $20 on PC.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: December 18, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »

Nice!  That game is evergreen fun to me.  I've been playing it for over a year, it's like Rocket League in that it's a great game to binge OR to just jump in and play a match or two before moving onto something else.

Offline Michie_

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
All of that?

Yes, but it was less expensive then you might think. Lot's of bargain bin priced games (from 5 euro to 15 euro) and birthday gifts. The Switch games where the most expensive ones and those where 30 euro's each.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: December 19, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »

Nice!  That game is evergreen fun to me.  I've been playing it for over a year, it's like Rocket League in that it's a great game to binge OR to just jump in and play a match or two before moving onto something else.

Just got it installed last night, but due to holiday shenanigans I've not had a chance to boot it up. I'll be sure to round up friends here who play once I'm setup and rolling.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: December 20, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
Used a gift card to order a copy of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Vita/PS TV) a while back, and it arrived today.

I've rather enjoyed playing Ys: Memories of Celceta so far, and this looks even better. Reviews have also been very strong, at least from the skimming that I've done. Excited to try playing, but will probably wait for a while since I'm still in the midst of Celceta and have some other games on the back-burner as well.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: December 20, 2017, 11:30:47 PM »
Bought 2 games on Switch.

Enter the Gungeon:
There is a mighty trio of "shooting roguelike" games: Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, and Enter The Gungeon.

After spending thousand+ of hours in BoI i was occasionally reading up on the other two. From i could surmise Gungeon was less about synergies and combinations of weapons and passive upgrades -- simply because there are less weapons and items in it and overall -- less variety because it's all guns. Gungeon is more bullet hell-y because all rooms are bigger as opposed to Isaac's regular one-screen rooms.

Nuclear Throne i know even less about -- but i know it's the hardest of the three and just as deep in it's gameplay as Isaac if not more so.

Gungeon looks great at first glance -- fantastic sprite work and animations. Loading times to generate a level is jarring especially compared to Isaac where level generation is instantaneous.

Complaints about first level being a slog are definitely true -- killing all the enemies and even just walking around in these huge rooms and long corridors take a long time -- teleports in most rooms alleviate walking part somewhat but still -- Gungeon levels are way way more sparse and filled with visual useless clutter (that i still appreciate from sprite art point of view) than rather compact Isaac levels.

It's harder than Isaac because there more often than not you will get a strong weapon less than minute in and enemies are very predictable (especially after playing a lot). Gungeon feels harder because enemies are spawning all over the place in huge rooms and bullets can come at you from all angles. Bullets themselves are very big -- almost the same size as you and they're strictly on 2d plane so you can't dodge an arching projectile by running under it like in Isaac.

You can use screen clearing blanks to remove all projectiles on the screen but i am not sure about them placing it on pressing two sticks in. Similarly i am not sure why shooting and dodge roll buttons are on shoulder buttons by default and not on triggers.

Floor Kids:
It looks similar to Break Street. I just played tutorial and first level, and it's awesome so far.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: December 26, 2017, 02:20:46 AM »
So I got to open and play my SNES classic today! Was a nice blast from the past.

Received Mario Odyssey and the Resident Evil Revelations collection on Switch. Also got Metroid Returns on 3DS.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: December 26, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
So I got to open and play my SNES classic today! Was a nice blast from the past.

Received Mario Odyssey and the Resident Evil Revelations collection on Switch. Also got Metroid Returns on 3DS.

Nice haul all around!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: December 28, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »
Two Neon Nintendo Switch consoles...one for each kid. The trifecta is complete now.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: December 28, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »
I got Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition on Switch. If you haven't played it yet Rayman Legends is really good and this version works way better as a single player game than the Wii U version.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: December 28, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
Two Neon Nintendo Switch consoles...one for each kid. The trifecta is complete now.

You gotta get Namco Museum! Pacman Vs is amazing for parties and family game nights. Need two switches to play, but you can own one coy of the game. I bought it solely so we can play at my folks house since my sister also has a Switch.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: December 28, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »
Hmmm...maybe. Most if my friends have a Switch too.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: December 30, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »
Just remember that the other Switch has to download the free version from the eShop in order to play with two systems.
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: December 31, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »
RIP download play.

I picked up Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition on Switch and that game is so much better on the Switch than it was on the Wii U just by having stuff like being able to use controllers other than the gamepad for player 1 or having the murphy stages not reduce this wonderful platformer to a a fucking iOS game.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: December 31, 2017, 02:26:28 AM »
I picked up Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition on Switch and that game is so much better on the Switch than it was on the Wii U just by having stuff like being able to use controllers other than the gamepad for player 1 or having the murphy stages not reduce this wonderful platformer to a a fucking iOS game.
I've always been saying that murphy stages are better with button controls.

That and Legends is wonderful for about half of a game and the rest are Rayman Origins levels that they copied into it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: December 31, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
They are Billions

I don't play that many RTS with the last I think was Planetary Annihilation Titans. This game is a treat in potential infinite re-playability as it is a rogue-like RTS where the map is randomly generated with each play so you never really get the opportunity to stick to a build order like Starcraft. You have a bag of tools and have to adapt or get eaten.

It's Victorian Steampunk Zombie apocalypse mixed with Stronghold. The big thing about the zombies are that there are functionally infinite number of them. When they bust into your buildings they convert the population into more zombies which means a single zombie can doom a colony as a massive wave of them spawn inside the base.

However it is possible to recover from this if you don't get wiped as repair costs are very cheap, the buildings don't disappear only wreaked unless it is a wall or tower and once the conditions are met the workers instantly return to work. Hit the repair button a couple times and you are running again after losing some time, units and resources.

Its early access but it runs well with the odd slow down which I don't think is related to the game and it hasn't crashed once. It's not balanced right now since they are still adding features so trying to do that is a waste of time.

Spintire Muddrunner

I got gifted this over Christmas. It is surprisingly fun for what is a logging job simulator. I wouldn't play it on single but is much better with friends as you drive different vehicles to support each other and get the job done. Fuelling, repairing, recovery, mapping, truck configuration, prepositioning assets and finally hauling the logs is quite the team effort.

Recommend both games.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: December 31, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
I've always been saying that murphy stages are better with button controls.

That and Legends is wonderful for about half of a game and the rest are Rayman Origins levels that they copied into it.
I never played Origins so that's just more content for me.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 21, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Has anyone heard of Risk of Rain? The physical Vita version just arrived, and seems good from first impressions. The design and controls are a bit odd, but playing through the a half dozen levels was entertaining enough. My only real complaint at this point is that the graphics are tiny, so sometimes it's hard to see exactly what's going on.

Happy with the game so far, but honestly not sure why I ordered the game. My PSTV has seen more use lately, as I've really been enjoying the Ys games released for Vita... and I think maybe I had intended to by Ys Origins instead, but found out it was incompatible with PSTV so switched to this odd little roguelike?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: February 03, 2018, 10:49:22 PM »
The Rockstar Humble Bundle. If you have a decent PC (like it would be gaming quality 10 years ago), then this is a no-brainer. $15 gets you GTA 3, GTA 4, GTA San Andreas, GTA Vice City Stories, GTA Episodes from Liberty City, Bully, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Max Payne 3, Manhunt, and LA Noire.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 04, 2018, 01:04:41 PM »
The Rockstar Humble Bundle. If you have a decent PC (like it would be gaming quality 10 years ago), then this is a no-brainer. $15 gets you GTA 3, GTA 4, GTA San Andreas, GTA Vice City Stories, GTA Episodes from Liberty City, Bully, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Max Payne 3, Manhunt, and LA Noire.

Dang sounds like good value, although nowadays I'm kind of over that open world crime genre I think.

Back when it released though I remember getting GTA 3 for the PC after having seen it many times at my friends' places who had PS2s. Was pretty excited for it... And it never loaded past the opening cutscene lol. Asked a bunch of tech savvy friends but nobody could get it to run on our machine back then, so I returned it and got The Sims 1 for PC instead.
A year later I got True Crime Streets of LA for GameCube in a... partially successful effort to finally play GTA 3.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 04, 2018, 11:08:55 PM »
You can get Dank Souls 3 for $12 right now too. I didn't do it, because my backlog is INSANE.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 05, 2018, 05:20:05 AM »
Farcry 4: **** animals.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 05, 2018, 02:06:19 PM »
I remember there was a Capcom Humble Bundle like a year and a half ago or so.  I still haven't downloaded like three quarters of the games for it, partially because I have to do some shuffling on my PS3 hard drive to make it all fit.  It was worth it for Okami HD alone but there are some other games included that I just have not gotten around to trying yet.  It's technically a good deal but just destroys your backlog.  It would have been great to get a kid with lots of free time and no money to buy games as it would last them for a while (well the Rockstar one isn't appropriate for kids and the Capcom one came with Resident Evil games but in theory this could work; maybe this "kid" is 14).

So I'll pass because I just have no time for it.  And these aren't short games either.