Author Topic: Amazing Deals!  (Read 293695 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Deals!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:33 PM »
I actually found a Yahoo thread about this:   http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080728141341AA3XglA

Not looking good so far, check out what one guy said:

I saw this in another topic as well.

I too followed a link found at a game trading/buying website I know to be legit. *But* -- I don't think this 360sforcheap.com is legit, and here's why.

1) The phone number goes to a "voice mail box full" notice. You can't speak with anybody.

2) The domain is registered in Russia, using a United States proxy service to hide their identity (you can get this from a WhoIs lookup, even).

3) It's shipping from Asia. $35 would barely cover the shipping cost, let alone the console.

4) The "FAQ" says it's cheap because you answer surveys. Yet, you don't actually answer any surveys.

5) At another forum, I saw that somebody went to their shipping tracking site and entered a completely made-up tracking number. It actually gave info (with dates adjusted, I guess) saying it was shipped, arrived, was being reviewed at customs, etc. It's completely fake info.

6) The site/domain was created just five days ago.

7) The order form collects your billing address, but NOT your shipping address. It may sound like a trivial thing, but would *every* customer want their purchase shipped to the *billing* address for the credit card used to pay? Unlikely.

8) The charge shows up on your card as "GamingPlugins.com" (If I understood the woman I talked to correctly). That's a dead/dormant site registered in *Australia*.

Put it all together, and it spells S C A M. :(

It *looked* legit enough, and was linked from a legit site, that I gave in to the impulse and ordered. But I've been kicking myself ever since. I immediately started checking it out, and am more and more convinced it's a scam.

I was already leery, and used a Visa card with a $0 balance, and one I could close on a whim. I called the bank (Capital One) to let them know. I can dispute the charge after it posts (but not until), plus they're issuing me a different card number just in case. I feel pretty foolish for following through with it, but the site is designed to look legit on the surface, just long enough for them to get your money.

I'm usually VERY careful -- can't believe I fell for it. I expect I'll have to dispute the charge, but at least I've changed my card number. I would really recommend that anybody who purchased do the same, if you can. Believe me, it looks totally fake under more scrutiny, and now somebody out there has your credit card info....

I've found the site linked EVERYWHERE though. No wonder people are falling for it. It's appearing as paid product placement on legit sites, and I can't even imagine how much money they've raked in already, and how long it will take less thorough victims to realize they aren't going to receive anything for the money. :( :( :(
7 hours ago
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »
Today is PS3 day on Amazon, apparently.  The deal of the day is Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for $22.99.  Here are the lightning deals (thanks to lightningdeals.com):

6AM PDT Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII for PS3 (Reg $38.99) - $23.99
10AM PDT Playstation 3 Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Wheel for PS3 (Reg $129.99)
12PM PDT Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction for PS3 (Reg $55.99)
2PM PDT Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for PS3 (Reg $55.99)
4PM PDT Devil May Cry 4 for PS3 (Reg $38.99)
6PM PDT Haze for PS3 (Reg $56.99)

The deal price won't be known until the designated time.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
Amazon's video game Deal of the Day is The SimCity Box for $14.98, which includes SimCity Societies and its Destinations expansion, SimCity 4 and its Rush Hour expansion, Snap City, and the Spore Creature Creator demo.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
COD 4 and Bad Company are 40 bux at Target this week.  Anyone here have Battlefield?  I really enjoyed the demo, how does the rest of the game hold up?  How is the multiplayer?  Do they have it set up in such a way noobs can only fight noobs?  I'm not the most proficient when it comes to FPS's.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
Battlefield (I have the PS3 version) is really hectic whether you're a noob or not. It's a lot of fun for sure, and even better with people you know. I'm not sure if they separate noobs from non-noobs, but as a player you do get experience points and unlock weaponry as you raise your level/rank, almost like in CoD4 (I have it for the 360) but CoD4 is so much better in that regards.

In regards to single-player I can't say much because I only played one chapter, and then I immediately just played multiplayer. It's not because it's bad, it's good, but I bought the game to play with one of my friends that only owns a PS3. I did the same thing with CoD4 too, I only played the first chapter lol.

I would recommend you rent it if you're not too keen on FPSs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:09:20 PM by Caliban »

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
Amazon is currently offering Xbox Live points cards at a reduced price.  You can get 1600 points for $15.97 or 4000 points for $39.97.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
Toy's R Us's buy 2 get the 3rd free on all video games starts today. Too bad all doesn't include Dragon Quest IV.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
Amazon's video game deal of the day:
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (Xbox 360 or PS3) - $39.98

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:23 PM »
Amazon's video game deal of the day:
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (Xbox 360 or PS3) - $39.98

Not worth it, that game is a downright turd.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »
I don't judge 'em.  I just post 'em.

(Actually, I do judge them sometimes, like when it's something like Petz or Baby's First Disney Princess Game.  If I think there's a decent chance someone here might be interested, though, the only thing I do is check prices on Google to see if it's a real discount.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:18:22 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »
Actually, it's an all PS3 day in Amazon's Gold Box today.  On top of the Eye, the lightning deals are PS3 games.  The list is most likely Blitz II, Lego Indiana Jones, Soul Calibur IV, and Tiger Woods 09.

Other PS3 deals going on now:

There's a $100 off deal on a PS3 or Blu-ray player and four Warner Bros. Blu-ray movies.
You can also get a free PS3 remote if you buy three Blu-ray movies from that same list.  I doubt the deals stack.
There's a $10 gift certificate if you pre-order Resistance 2.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »
Actually, its Haze, not Blitz II. Still not tickling my fancy at $15.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
Haze wouldn't do anything for me at $1.50.  I

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »
Actually, its Haze, not Blitz II. Still not tickling my fancy at $15.

I just pasted the predictions posted at lightningdeals.com.  They used to post the actual deals, but they've apparently been unable to do so for several weeks now.

If I had a PS3, I might have bitten at that price.  I've certainly paid more for worse games than that in my life.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »
Amazon's Deal of the Day today is Infinite Undiscovery on the 360 for $29.98.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »
i just watched a review on the game....i'll pass

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
AudioSurf is only $2.49 this week on Steam.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 10:52:30 AM »
For anyone in need of another PS3 controller I would highly recoomend this one by Nyko:
http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Zero-Wireless-Controller-colors-3/dp/B000LD3S5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1225900033&sr=8-2

It has the rumble, PS Home button, and motion support, as well as being wireless.  It released at 60 but is now going for 20 bux with free shipping.  As far as critical reception, it was the highest rated third party controller by IGN.

My favorite feature though is the size.  I've got giant hands and this puppy fits em quite comfortably.  On top of that the R2 and L2 triggers are oh so easy to reach.  The only downside thus far is the 360 esque D pad, but for most games thats no biggie.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
Just called my local Circuit City and everything related to video games is 10% off until they close near 12*31*08.  This is due to the recent announcement of 155 store closings.  To find out if there is a store near you see this link:
http://kotaku.com/5077055/closing-circuit-city-game-discounts

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 12:12:12 PM »
You won't find a PS3 deal better than this for some time.  This saturday only, you get a 100 dollar gift card when you buy the 80 gig model.  Since you can spend that 100 bux on anything, you're basically getting the PS3 for 300.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=1026142

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »
man is that a great deal, but being unemployed for some time now is a no go for me unfortunately.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 11:34:02 AM »
Last time they offered such a deal, neither of two local WalMarts even received any of the 80 GB ones, but it's worth another shot.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 11:23:58 AM »
Amazon is having an Atlus deal

Baroque (Wii/PS2) $19.96
Dokapon Kingdom (Wii/PS2)$19.96
Trauma Center New Blood Wii $19.96
Operation Darkness 360 $19.96
Spectral Force 3 360 $19.96
Etrian Odyssey II DS $19.96
Summon Knight Twin Age DS $19.96
Rondo Of Swords DS $19.96
Izuna 2 DS $19.96
Trauma Center 2 DS $19.96
Master of the Monster Lair  DS $19.96
Yggdra Union PSP $19.96
R-Type Command PSP $9.96
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
I posted this in the Nintendo Console board already, but today's deal is particularly good for general gaming.  Amazon is posting a new video game deal every day until Black Friday.  Today's deal is a $25 future discount for buying 2 select games or a $50 future discount for buying 3 select games.  The list is made up of several of 2008's biggest titles across multiple platforms.

Make sure to check that link every day.

This daily offer is in addition to the usual deal of the day, which today is Alone in the Dark for $14.98 on Xbox 360 or $9.98 on Wii or PS2.