Author Topic: PGC Louie Awards 2004  (Read 13010 times)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: PGC Louie Awards 2004
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2005, 07:57:30 PM »
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is better than every GBA game in 2004.  I am disappointed it didn't win anything.

Kingdom Hearts winning an award for its FMV is saddening.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 10:23:27 PM »
Personally, I don't see how "the DS's launch lineup" can be the biggest disappointment of 2004.

I mean, the system came out of freaking nowhere. Just... "boom"... we're here.

Sure, I think the DS's lineup is a little underwhelming right now (so is the PSP's, just to keep things in perspective), and it's not making me want to run out and buy a DS, but I just don't see how anyone can have been "disappointed" by what was, for all intents and purposes, a surprise (albeit, only a "mildly pleasant" one).

Also for the runner up, "RE4 and Viewtiful Joe no longer exclusive", ummm... Viewtiful Joe was never really "exclusive". It just "wasn't being made for the PS2", and then... it was.

Getting the shaft on RE4 by itself wins the "biggest disappointment" award in my book. Although after taking a step back, I'd say that the loss of Tales of Symphonia exclusivity (was that 2004?) would've been a bigger blow, if it wasn't for Mikami's repeated assurances that RE4 would never be on the PS2, and for Namco's general incompetence when it comes to releasing Tales games in America.

If you had a "RE4 and ToS no longer exclusive" or maybe a more generic "rats abandoning the supposedly-sinking ship" option, then I think it should've won hands-down.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PGC Louie Awards 2004
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 10:39:16 PM »
I couldn't agree more about the comment that winning an award because an FMV was on the game was disappointing.  I'd go as far as to say that disappointing is a huge understatement.  If FMV on a Game Boy was the basis for graphical quality, then surely nominating one of those Jimmy Neutron GBA Video carts would have been better?  I chose It's Mr. Pants, Feel the Magic and Alien Hominid for the graphics awards.  Not because they're technically impressive, but because visually they were the most refreshingly different games I'd seen for each of the respective systems.  It takes a lot of guts to say "Okay, we're not going to go for a game that pushes the most polygons - we're going to push for a totally unique graphic style to make our game really stand out from the crowd."  It was especially surprising to see such a move from Rare, who - let's face it - have been leaning on the pre-rendered character crutch since 1994.  It looks nice, but it was great to see something totally different and out there from them.

Also very saddened to see that Wario Ware Touched won import game of the year.  I think it's pretty silly for it to win it, especially seeing most people are going to wait for the local release which comes out in less than month.  Kururin Squash really deserved to win, not only because it won't be coming out locally, but also because it really is an awesome game with a fanstastic combination of puzzle and arcade style gameplay.  Not to mention that the graphical style is wonderful.

And finally, I'm really saddened to see that Sabre Wulf got totally ignored.  I'm not saying this as a Rare fan - I'm saying this as a gamer - this is a GOOD GAME.  You will have fun with this.  Great graphics, sound and unique gameplay all wrapped up in a pretty package and for an astonishingly cheap price.  I haven't experienced such a clever combination of platforming and puzzling since "Secret Agent" by Apogee for the PC.

Still, this is the way these things go.  Obviously awards don't please everyone.  Otherwise The Incredibles would be winning 'Best Picture' at the Oscars this year, wouldn't it?
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 05:04:06 PM »
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is better than every GBA game in 2004. I am disappointed it didn't win anything.

Uh what no.  That game is so 8.   I voted for Mario Pinball Land for GBA graphics--the game was meh, but it looked fantastic.

My import game vote went to Band Bros. becase I have yet to play this Squash game, but I would have voted had I known it may have prevented Wario Ware from winning.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 02:04:28 AM »
Hey, 8 is also the rating I gave it in NoE's survey. The graphics were almost as awful as the sound. Bah, that sound was such worthless trash...