Author Topic: So when is Nintendo going to do something about the storage situation on Switch?  (Read 10903 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
It isn't that hard. Let me hook up a hard drive to the dock so I can archive the games I'm not playing right now.

The only solution Nintendo has for this is to basically delete everything but your save data off of the system which in my opinion essentially turns digital ownership on the Switch into a glorified rental service unless you're willing to shell out obscene amounts of cash on a large enough SD card. Outside of a few multiplayer games I'm pretty much physical only by necessity.

We're almost two years from the Switch's launch and it's weird quirks that haven't been fixed yet are really starting to make it feel half baked.

Also, this whole "not having folders as a feature on the OS at launch" thing got old with the 3DS and Wii U.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I've got a long term solution for you. Go to school, graduate in an appropriate field, also learn Japanese fluently before graduating. Then get a job at Nintendo, and PLEASE be the voice we need from the inside.

They can't hear us from down here.....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
2019 or 2020. BOOK IT

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
2019 or 2020. BOOK IT

Book what? Folders? Because I already did before as seen in Exhibit A which I will now quote again for the benefit of this thread:

One year at a time in order to space these applications out over the holiday seasons to get more of that Switch buying mania each time.

2017 - Switch: It has Hulu
2018 - Switch: It has YouTube
2019 - Switch: It has Netflix
2020 - Switch: It has Folders
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I should add to that list, however, to look forward to 2021 when Nintendo releases their new hybrid console to replace the Switch called the Swap. It will come with an increased built-in storage capacity of 45 GB. There will be no online services for the first 8 months.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Using SD cards for storage is fine. They come up to 400GB now.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
So my 400 GB SD card is starting to get a little cramped, and 512 GB cards exist but cost more than a Switch, so I may be headed for some fridge cleaning. I'm sitting around 50 GB free, and that's after downloading Smash, so I have a little while, but it's worrisome.
Granted, insanolord is probably the outlier on the bell curve.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
If it was fine than people wouldn't be complaining about it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Nah 400GB is plenty. People are usually complaining even when they have one of those because they started out with a smaller card and upgraded when the prices dropped. I do agree that 32GB built-in is a joke though - but then again, I've had my Switch since launch day and haven't had a need to delete anything or get an SD card yet.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
No SD card at all? You might be the opposite end of the bell curve from Insanolord.

32GB is definitely inexcusable in 2018.  But I got a 200GB SD card, and haven't touched the bottom yet.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:13:58 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
I should add to that list, however, to look forward to 2021 when Nintendo releases their new hybrid console to replace the Switch called the Swap. It will come with an increased built-in storage capacity of 45 GB. There will be no online services for the first 8 months.

The Swap  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
At least one person around here appreciates my work! Steefosaurus is fast becoming the best poster on here that isn't me.  ;)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I would prefer the Switch-a-roo. 

The dashes can be stylized to help make 2.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Nah 400GB is plenty.
I've only owned my Switch for a year now and I've already filled 1/4th of that on the SD card despite going almost purely physical outside of multiplayer games specifically to avoid space issues, which by the way is not a valid solution because a lot of "Physical" games require a 15GB download to play.

What it comes down to is that at this point if a downloadable game (or a physical game that requires a download) is available on any other system I own than I will actively seek out another version of that game. I highly doubt that's what Nintendo wants considering they get less revenue on retail copies than they do on digital, and no revenue if I purchase the PS3 version of a game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:19:16 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
I download all my games and if I run short of space I just archive them.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I download all my games and if I run short of space I just archive them.

I'd hoped we'd moved past the days of fridge cleaning.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Maybe next they'll bring back the SD card channel only this time it's a Switch Cartridge to MicroSD card adapter so you can have a second SD card.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
I'm surprised a third party hasn't come up with a solution.

I always planned to buy a second model Switch, but my best friend and my mom may have conspired to get me an original for Christmas. Ugh.

I got burned with GBA, and DS. The second models were so much better.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:57:10 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Switch card with room for two microSDs or bust.

Edit: I got my 400 today, so I moved everything over and I'm in the process of redownloading all the stuff I had to throw out of the fridge. There's some bigguns here (two Warriors games, Skyrim, Doom, one of the One Piece games) so we'll see how much space I have left.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:52:32 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
As card prices are supposed to plummet the next few years
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Hopefully they come down pretty fast. 512 GB microSD cards exist now, but cost more than the Switch.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
At this point it seems that microSD sizes are catching up to regular SD, so I guess that means using a regular SD slot probably wouldn't help. Putting in two slots for microSD probably uses about the same physical space as a regular SD card reader anyway.

I don't think Nintendo will enable support for hard drives on the Switch because it goes against the whole concept and turns it into more of a home console. Not only that, but there's the problem of what happens when the Switch is taken out of the dock as it's reading or writing data to the drive. The system does things like download updates in sleep mode so the only way to safely remove it from the dock would be to first power off the system. The idea seems too messy to work.

Hopefully they come down pretty fast. 512 GB microSD cards exist now, but cost more than the Switch.
Out of curiosity, where is this sold, and how much does it cost?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I saw one on Amazon recently for $350, but I just went back to find it and saw a couple cheaper ones, including one as low as $164.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Are you sure those aren't fake? There are a lot of fakes out there.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I don't think so. It's through a third-party seller but they have a lot of excellent feedback and it's a Kingston card, not some no-name manufacturer.

J.P. Corbran