Author Topic: Nintendo DS Thumbstrap (What's going on?)  (Read 5035 times)

Offline VideoGamerJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo DS Thumbstrap (What's going on?)
« on: October 13, 2004, 02:44:22 PM »
According to a source, "believed that these are the first images of the thumb pad controller for the Nintendo DS, the little nodule that was displayed during the presentation of Super Mario 64 DS in Seattle last week.

After the briefing to press, we nipped down to the front of the stage, got permission and snapped away, though lighting and the fact that we had only about three seconds didn't make for particularly good quality shots.

I was actually suprised that these haven't made their light in much places. If this turns out to be true, my doubts on Super Mario 64 DS controls are gone! Props to PlanetGamecube for covering the DS well and credit to Spong for taking these pictures.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Thumbstrap (What's going on?)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 02:45:42 PM »
My control worries were long gone after seeing that long SM64 DS presentation in motion...But the strap is a nice thing to have anyway for a change of pace...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:59:49 PM »
I can't tell what the hell that thing in the screenshots is.  It looks like one of the keychain dealies you wear around your neck.

I probably could use a guitar thumbpick for this though scratching could be an issue.  I don't know how durable the DS touchscreen is.

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS Thumbstrap (What's going on?)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 03:12:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
My control worries were long gone after seeing that long SM64 DS presentation in motion...But the strap is a nice thing to have anyway for a change of pace...

I've seen newer gameplay videos, but nothing showing the actual controlling so I'm dying to know how that works.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 03:54:47 PM »
Ian wrote:

I can't tell what the hell that thing in the screenshots is.

VideoGamerJ wrote:

...and credit to Spong for taking these pictures.

Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 04:06:44 PM »
^_^

Usually PlanetGamecube is my first source but sometimes news slips out of their hands and I'm curious, which is why I brought this up. It doesn't seem like  a device at all, but Spong credits that it is...

For anyone actually interested (although I've touched on most of what was said):

http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7796  

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 04:39:28 PM »
The wiry left part of the thing attaches to the DS.

The right part is the thumb and wrist strap, I'd guess.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 05:12:41 PM »
Finally I recognize your sig pic Ian....Contra: Alien wars, great game, impossible but great. I've only beat it once with the help of an emulator (thank god for save states)

Anyways it looks like that plastic part attached to the smaller thicker loop is where your thumb goes, and the plastic is what you touch the screen with (there for no smudge and smaller point of impact). And as Paladin said, it looks like the thinner loop would attach to the DS somehow.

"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 05:54:29 PM »
"it looks like the thinner loop would attach to the DS somehow."

The wiry part forms a loop. You flatten it, twist it, whatever, then push it into a sort of hole in the back of the DS (probably the one between the stylus hole and the Game Card slot). It comes out of another part of the hole, so you reopen the loop and push the right part of the strap into the loop. Pull to tighten.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 08:45:39 PM »
"Finally I recognize your sig pic Ian....Contra: Alien wars, great game, impossible but great."

It's not impossible if you play on the easiest difficultly.  Actually my avatar is from another insanely hard game.  It's the last boss from Ghouls 'n' Ghosts.  I started using it during "end boss month" and haven't gotten round to changing it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 07:01:54 AM »
I was really worried about the idea of the thumbstrap.  First I didn't want something else to lose that I need to play games, and second I thought that Nintendo would make something that wouldn't fit for everyone, or really wouldn't work properly.

After seeing what Nintendo has for the thumb strap my worries are over.  Nintendo definately knew what it was doing designing the thing.

1)It wraps around the wrist first so it should fit everyone.
2)It appears it will attach to the actual DS system like many Camera straps do.  This is smart and important because it becomes a part of the system, not an extra you must carry around with you.
3)If Sponge is correct it will be packed in with the DS.  And if not then definately with Super Mario 64 DS this will mean everyone will have a thumbstrap and 3rd party developers can feel safe designing games that require it.

Nintendo really does appear to have an amazing system with the DS.  I really don't care if every feature is used with every game.  The point is designers can use them, if they need to.  Madden DS is a perfect example of this.  Madden isn't using the second screen to control players or anything.  But they understand it helps them to rapidly pick plays easier.  

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 06:56:29 PM »
This makes a lot of sense.  Think about it, in most cases you wont have to use your stylus.  You can just use your very thumb on the touchscreen and then switch back to the face buttons.
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline Quigoni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:31:12 AM »
Can someone please explain to me what a thumbstrap is?  I'm kinda confused.

To me it looks like just an ordinary carrying strap that's adjustable.

-Quigoni

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 04:38:52 AM »
It's kind of like a fingerhat that is attached to your thumb and allows you to touch the screen with your thumb without leaving fingerprints. At least if I got that right.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 04:50:22 AM »
I think it also has a point to it, so that you aren't touching the screen with a fat thumb, but a more precise point to allow for more accurate movements on the screen.  

It is supposed to be used to allow for smooth analog control for Super Mario 64 DS.  I can image it that if it comes packed in with either the system or with Mario 64 DS it will be used more frequently for every game.

It is worth noting it will also be very useful for Metroid Hunters: First Hunt as you will be able to more easily hold the system and you won't have to use the stylus for movement.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 12:10:57 PM »
yay... i do really hope that this is a pack-in with the system -- not because i'm  cheap, but because i believe it will make the DS more user friendly, thus casual gamers will be able to adapt to the new styles of gameplay
I'll shut up now...