Community Forums > Movies & TV

Go Go Power Rangers!: Now with less spande- Oh **** here comes Doctor K.

(1/4) > >>

pokepal148:
So Beast Morphers looks decent. Some of the line delivery from the actors still feels awkward as hell but from the clips I've seen online it seems pretty alright.

ShyGuy:
There are Beast Morphers now?

pokepal148:
Yeah apparently. I dunno, like the acting in this scene is solid enough.

for bnm

But in this scene a lot of it feels kind of... not great.

for BNM

I have a feeling that a big part of that is that blue can't emote at all and this is supposed to be an emotional scene for him but I dunno. Disney was generally able to find solid young adult actors for their seasons and help them play the characters they wanted them to portray (With RPM even picking up notable talent like Adelaide Kane, Eka Carville, and Rose McEyver only to have Olivia Tennet completely steal the show with her performance) and that seems to be something the series has really struggled with since Saban got the rights back. It's gotten better over time but it seems like the problem isn't entirely gone and I suspect it's a combination of the actors, the direction, the scripts, that all make it feel so awkward sometimes.

UncleBob:
I still have 8 or so episodes of Super Ninja Steel on the DVR I haven't watched.

I was ranting about PR the other day.  I get it.  It's a terrible kid's show half made from dubbing another terrible show and half bad acting and low quality special effects all designed to sell toys.  The show was never *good* (RPM aside, that season was great) and even the best episodes of the Zordon era are... lackluster without nostaliga-glasses on.  But the series hasn't even hit one step above mediocre since Saban got it back.  I don't know how much is the show's overall budget, how much is Saban-side creative decisions, and how much is Nick-side managerial control... but something needs to change.

pokepal148:
Power Rangers at it's best generally has been the show stringing you along between fight scenes (which are by far the thing the show generally does best) with a decent plotline and likable enough characters going through some kind of character arc.

What makes RPM so interesting in my opinion is that it's fight scenes are generally pretty rough, especially by Power Rangers standards. They replaced the obnoxious explosions that most of the Disney Era suffers from with the world's most obnoxious shaky cam and it results in some of the worst fight scenes in the entire series. But RPM fucking nailed everything around the fight scenes by having an amazing storyline, wonderful cast of characters, and creating a dynamic tone that can somehow shift from goofy and silly to super serious on a dime without feeling unnatural and it nailed those things to the point where it doesn't need to rely on the fight scenes at all to be as well regarded as it is. It helps that the worst fight scenes in Power Rangers history are generally still pretty decent by general TV standards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version