Author Topic: Episode 606: Flexing on Undead Taxmen  (Read 2347 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 606: Flexing on Undead Taxmen
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »

We're calling out our Top 5 games of 2018, but Jon is busy doing something else entirely.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49419/episode-606-flexing-on-undead-taxmen

We delayed it as long as we could, but it is time for one of RFN's three annual traditions: our Top 5 Games of 2018. Greg, Gui, and James open the show with a stroll through 5 games they loved last year. Jon's absence forces Gui and James to call on their deep knowledge of The Man to infer his choices. Not to brag, but we did a great job.

After the break we decided to answer a couple emails, a segment you may have forgotten we do. This week we list off some not-2018 games we fell in love with during 2018 and give our thoughts on series numbering. You can send us the soft-reboot to previous questions via the inbox.

THIS SATURDAY it is time for the NWR Telethon in support of Child's Play. There's a whole lot of RFN Magicâ„¢ throughout the day, but we kick-off the proceedings with our annual predictions segment at noon Eastern. All the details are available here.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 606: Flexing on Undead Taxmen
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:26:24 AM »
The Master System version of Sonic could be at the top because of purchase mistakes. That's what happened to me many years ago.
I didn't even know there was a Master System version, so I wasn't paying attention to what system the VC game was for. I didn't realise my mistake until it had finished downloading and I loaded up the game.
After that I had to buy more Wii Points to get the Megadrive version. Both versions are still sitting on my Wii U.

This is kind of off topic, but until I played Sonic on the Gamecube collection in 60hz relatively recently, I never understood why people said Sonic is fast in those old games. Until then, I never realised how much slower our 50hz version is.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »
if Gui gets to put Katamari on his list then I get to put Freedom Planet on mine because that came out on switch in 2018!

All kidding aside, it's always fun to hear these sorts of things. honestly, 2018 was a weird time where I've done a lot of gaming, but it was moreso concentrated in a few spots rather than a chance to sample a lot of games. According to steam, I'm up to 1847 hours in Final Fantasy XIV. granted, some of that has been AFK idling, but MAN has Eorzea sucked me into it's gaping maw like Fortenite absorbed Jon.

I don't even think I purchased a retail switch game until Octopath Traveler. granted, I loved the dickens out of that game, but something happened where where Octopath Traveler and Syrenne divided by zero and simultaneously killed my desire to play my Nintendo Switch and listen to Radio Free Nintendo for a good several months. maybe it was also that 2018 has been one of the roughest patches in my life as well...

I feel like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon needs a nod. it may actually be one of my favorite Inti-creates games I've ever played, and I'd play it again over the likes of Castlevania 3 at any oppertunity.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has been a strange journey for me.World of Light and it's highly symbolic and allegorical narrative had me stop and question the nature of something that I always think of as the celebration of... well, at this point, I think it's safe to assume "all of japanese gaming" is an apt description of Super Smash Bros. now. I feel a strange and somber feeling come over me whenever I play the game. I don't know what else can be said about it that hasn't been beaten to death by the rest of the internet or that woulnd't start a nuclear flame war in the comments here.

Mega Man 11 exists and isn't even the best Mega Man game I played this year. it did make me consider some things I should and should not do in a little game dev project I did work on during 2018?

and then... I know I sent an e-mail having a small existential crisis over this, but... then there's La Mulana 2, a game that does SO much right in my book, but then also does things that I cannot excuse. as of the writing of this forum comment, La Mulana 2 ver. 1.4.4.2 is still the current version of La Mulana 2, and it is a broken version of La Mulana 2 where you can soft lock he game in an area with a save point that you are more than likely to use. I did this to my save file 39 hours in, and had to look up a trick to revert my version of the game to a previous patch via use of the steam console in order to fix a bug that has been reported to the devs for the past 3 months now and there has been no hot-fix.

I suppose I finally played Undertale this year, and... it's all right? I still have a LOT of problems with it, but I cannot deny some of it's qualities.

Deltarune is immediately a better game, and it's literally just a free demo, sooooo....

I started playing and Dropped Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition! that came out in 2018... I guess... maybe...

otherwise, everything I can think of that i played this year was either a fan game of some sort, a Doom WAD, or Rivals of Aether, which isn't a 2018 game but had some relavent 2018 DLC.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »
I'm glad Torna got some love. Even though I've come to expect a lot from Monolith Soft, they still managed to surpass my expectations with Torna. I'm sure most of us would have been really happy and excited even if they just mostly reused the engine and the battle system with some tweaks, but they totally went above and beyond and delivered something amazing.

Dragon Quest XI is far and away my game of the year overall (and I'm happy people waiting for the Switch version will get to play it in the near future), but Torna was definitely in the top three.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »
Interestingly enough some of the lines in Layton are different depending on the region. "Our ... Lost Future" or "Our ... Unwound Future". Also Luke for whatever reason has a completely different voice actor in the US.

Offline wcmullins

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
It's funny I did the same thing with Metal Gear. I totally think MGS4 is worth playing. I haven't played 5 yet though. I think it's important to experience the story as initially was given to fans and not in order chronologically. I think the correct order is to watch star wars IV, V, VI before I, II, III.