Community Forums > Movies & TV

2014 Oscars. Ranking the movies and your opinions on the 2013 movie scene.

(1/11) > >>

Khushrenada:
I don't care about the Oscars. Just pretentious people giving themselves self-congratulatory awards. A sham. They never get it right. Yadda yadda yadda.

I don't care if you have some baggage about the Oscars. I like them but I'm also not beholden to their opinion as the final say on movies. It took awhile but I finally realized the Oscars are based on a small sample size of various Hollywood people and so the end results can and will be different than what I, a number of 1 (when I'm taking my meds) would choose. However, the Oscars still provide a good selection/recommendation list one can use to find great movies released in a year. Even now, I like to look up old Oscar lists from the past to find films I may have forgotten about. Do the Oscars get it wrong? Perhaps. But everyone has their own taste and opinion so what they might get right or wrong is entirely subjective. For instance, I prefer Ordinary People over Raging Bull and am glad it won Best Picture as I regard it a better film and yet, that view would be in the minority for many people. On the other hand, I thought Life of Pi was last year's Best Picture and have had to continually remind myself it was Argo because I found that movie rather unmemorable.

That said, I thought it might be interesting to discuss and share the opinions others may have about this year's crop and see how our preferences line up. Haven't seen them all? Only seen 1? Haven't seen any but still want to render an opinion? Think there was something that should have been nominated but wasn't? Go ahead and post it. It's NWR. You'll probably do it anyways. (Especially if it is to complain.)

I actually have seen all the Best Picture nominees so I can rank them all. Here are my quick thoughts and views from them all.

9. Dallas Buyers Club
8. 12 Years a Slave
7. Philomena
6. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Captain Phillips

To be honest, I'll be happy if any of these win but in the efforts of ranking them, here goes
4. American Hustle
3. Nebraska
2. Gravity
1. Her

It's funny. When you actually try and put the movies in order, you suddenly start thinking of all kinds of different criteria and other factors to sort it out. Her might benefit from the fact that I just saw it on Saturday and may need more time to think about it but I found it an interesting examination of love and romance. I guess I should post more about my thoughts on each film and why I rank them as I do but that is something I can do over a period of time and just get this thread rolling for now.

broodwars:
Eh, I haven't watched the Oscars in years, as no movie I actually like ever actually wins anything noteworthy and the whole ceremony pretty much lost its spirit once Billy Crystal retired. It certainly didn't help when the Academy threw animated films into their own ghetto with the Best Animated Film category.

That said, WHAT THE HELL, Academy? In what universe is The Lone Ranger a candidate for Best Visual Effects, but Pacific Rim ISN'T?!  :Q Even by the Academy's ****ed-up logic, that's an insane snub.

As for the Best Picture nominees, I have no opinion. I've seen none of them and only maybe want to see two of them (Gravity and The Wolf of Wall Street).  I'm hoping Frozen (& it's attached Mickey Mouse short) sweeps its categories, though (Best Animated Film, Best Animated Short, Best Song - "Let It Go"), just to see one of the few films I cared about this year get the awards.

Oblivion:
The Wind Rises > Frozen

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Oblivion on January 29, 2014, 11:55:47 AM ---The Wind Rises > Frozen

--- End quote ---

We'll see. It's been a long time since I liked a Miyazaki movie, and it's been even longer since Miyazaki had any sense of subtlety. The problem with The Wind Rises at the Oscars, though, is that no one's seen it. It got that "1-2 weeks in an obscure Hollywood theater" treatment just so it could qualify for the Oscars, all so the box quote on the home video release could have a "nominated for an Academy Award" sticker on it (which was the goal all along).  Frozen pretty much has that award in the bag unless the Academy is even more senile than usual.

Oblivion:
Please don't tell you think Studio Ghibli = Miyazaki, because no **** dude, the reason why it's been a long time since you liked a Miyazaki movie is because he's only had three in the last decade, including The Wind Rises, which I highly doubt you've seen.

I know you're like the epitome of a hipster douche along with Ian Sane, but the post you just made was absolutely hilarious in how bad it was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version